Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Caffeine: Yes Or No?

I have heard from doctors both sides of the caffeine story:

one says you can have it after surgery, one says you can't.

What's the real truth?

I wasn't told anything about it other than to wait til later on. I don't like coffee and stopped diet coke so didn't get much until

later. I di use crystal light citrus splash Focus that has a small amt of caffeine. Don't think it is an issue

I was told no by my nut. You should start a poll. I'd be curious to see what the results are.

Yes! I had no caffeine restrictions thankfully. I love my coffee.< /p>

I was told I couldn't have coffee until 2 weeks post op as it is very acidic.

I was told "no caffeine" for life after surgery - ever - in any form. However, I know someone else who had the same surgeon I had who doesn't follow that "rule" & is fine. Therefore, I don't know how much it matters. I plan on asking at my next appointment on Monday, although I don't drink coffee. I'm curious as to why they say "no caffeine."

http://www.webmd.com/balance/caffeine-myths-and-facts

The pros and cons of coffee from WebMD. I hear medical people spouting myths sometimes. Old "science" is the culprit.

I was told Decaf tea is okay but no decaf coffee until 3 months post-op. My doc said there is a chemical in coffee -- not the caffiene -- that inhibts the healing of the staple line. I was a non-fat latte girl two or three times a day prior to surgery -- this was my "treat" during the day. I don't have a problem switching to decaf non-fat latte on June 21st at 6:05 am (but who is counting the days) but I am an avid iced tea drinker. I am making my own now, but will probably order iced tea which will be caffinated when I go out. The concern, as I understand it, is that the caffiene can dehydrate the body so the fluids don't count toward the 64+ oz of Fluid a day/

They say that you shouldn't drink caffeinated beverages because caffeine is a natural diuretic and we are trying to get in enough Water not get rid of it.

I had no caffeine restrictions. But since I stopped drinking diet coke before surgery so I just cut out the caffeine all together. It was hard the first week but I don't miss it now.

There isn't one, but caffeine could irritate your stomach right after surgery. The carbonation will not feel good.

I drink coffee every morning & my nut & surgeon ok'd it......thank the Lord cuz this girl NEEDS caffeine!! Also, a little tmi added bonus - it keeps me totally regular, no Constipation issues like so many others have ;)

I just had my first coffee a few days ago, at 5 weeks out. I had been sticking to green tea, I love having iced green tea in the morning, but decided to try a tall skinny iced caramel macchiato from Sbux and it went down nicely. I felt super energized though, I guess that is what happens with no caffeine for a few months!

I am hoping I can have caffeine post-op as I get Migraines sometimes & excedrin Migraine works wonders for them! But it does contain caffeine!

Caffeine is acidic and can deteriorate the lining of your stomach. We do not have much of a stomach, let alone lining, left to deteriorate. As it was put to me, we need to protect our lining as much as possible.