Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How would you know if you have a leak? What are the symptoms?

I found this description on some other website:

1. Severe abdominal pain

2. Left shoulder pain

3. Rapid heart beat

4. Fever

5. Sickly appearance

Not sure how good the search function is but there are several threads started by people who have had (or have) a leak. You will get a alot more information from them. Every time I see a post about leaks I read it because I am in the stage (4 weeks post op) where I am still paranoid that everything is going to rip my new sleeve to shreds. apparently a person would definitely know if they have a leak. That is what my doctor's office said.

Thanks so much! I had my surgery April 18th and I just stopped taking my pain meds and I'm still having some pain. Everyone that I have talked to says they were usually off their pain meds a few days after they got home, for some reason I feel the need to keep taking it.

Britt, did you have a hernia repaired? I did, and I had pain longer than what people on here report.

Oh my goodness, you are not even a week post op! You could certainly ask for more pain meds. I took mine for about 10 days. (not around the clock, but twice a day after the first 6 days)

I had a hietal hernia on my esophagus. Its harder to breathe in at times, but right now its in my lower abdomen thats hurts I'm not sure if thats normal or not.

I took my pain meds for at least 10 days. Started with every 4 hours, then six, then 8.... My advice while on pain meds, take a stool softener! I didn't, and, oh my!

Thank you! I'm actually not having troubles going. Although when i take my meds it burns is that normal?

I am a week post op and I was paranoid too that I had a leak or gallbladder issues. I was still having an aching pain on my right side a few days after surgery. It kinda felt like I had hoola hooped for an hour; that's the only way that I could describe it. It would ache when I would yawn and if I moved a certain way. But what I found out was that during surgery, incisions are placed in the deep tissues and muscle to bring everything back together. So, I have been religious about getting my Protein in, and the pain has subsided a great deal. :)

Oh my goodness' date=' you are not even a week post op! You could certainly ask for more pain meds. I took mine for about 10 days. (not around the clock, but twice a day after the first 6 days)[/quote']

I had a hiatal and umbilical hernia repaired at the same time as my sleeve which was on apr 18 and I am still experiencing pain in lower left abdomen

I had a hiatal and umbilical hernia repaired at the same time as my sleeve which was on apr 18 and I am still experiencing pain in lower left abdomen

Im also having my surgery w TLCs dr. Scarborough....how r u feeling now?.....did u get the ON-Q pain pump and if so did it help? I'm also a medical professional and very concerned about complications. Did u have surgery at Park Plaza or Memorial Herman. I also live in Houston can I PM (private message (u)

Im also having my surgery w TLCs dr. Scarborough....how r u feeling now?.....did u get the ON-Q pain pump and if so did it help? I'm also a medical professional and very concerned about complications. Did u have surgery at Park Plaza or Memorial Herman. I also live in Houston can I PM (private message (u)

Sure you can PM me