Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions And Concerns. Dr.kelly Or Dr. Ponce De Leon?

Hi everyone! My name is Krista, I'm new to the board. I am from the east coast of Canada where the wait time for surgery is 10+ years, so I have made the decision to have surgery in Mexico. I have narrowed it down to two surgeons, Dr. Kelly or Dr. Ponce DeLeon. Both seem very qualified and well respected. I have been keeping up on various message boards, and it sounds as though Dr. Kelly is handling patients himself rather than using a coordinator. I filled out the contact form on his website asking for information, and received an automated reply from A Lighter Me instead of Dr. Kelly. Is he still working with them? He isn't listed as one of the surgeons on their website. Is there an alternate email address where I might be able to contact Dr. Kelly himself to gather more information? Also, I have heard glowing praise for Dr. Ponce De Leon's coordinator, Trish. Would anyone have contact info for her as well? One question I'd like to ask them is how long of a waiting list they have. Is it a matter of weeks or months between booking and the big day (I need to get my passport arranged, so I'm wondering if I should rush it or not) Also, what is included in the $5500 that he charges? Do they arrange my hotel stay after surgery or am I on my own for that? I'll be bringing hubby with me, will he be able to stay with me in the hospital? I think that is it for the questions part of my post.

I do have a few concerns as well. I'm confident in both Dr. Kelly and Dr. Ponce De Leon's abilities, but I have never had major surgery before, and have never been on a plane before. My hubby spent the better part of three years in Afghanistan so he's well practiced in air travel and assures me it's no problem, I guess it's just a fear of the unknown. Has anyone else been in the same situation?

Thanks in advance for any advice, aside from the butterflies in my tummy, I'm getting super excited!

Krista

Hi Krista!

I was just sleeved by Dr. Kelly on 4/22 so I am a bit biased....but He is a very skilled surgeon and a wonderful person and a great bedside manner. I can't tell you how glad I am that I chose him for my surgeon. DO NOT use a lighter me if you want Dr. Kelly. here is all his contact information. email: WLS-clinic@hotmail.com website: www.wlsclinic.com office number: 619-793-4869 / cell number 619 395 5347. The price is all inclusive and that includes your hotel stay. I can say you will not be disappointed if you choose to go with Dr. Kelly.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Thank you so much for the contact information, I'll send off an email right now :) How are you feeling after your surgery?

I used Dr. kelly 3-28 and was very happy . There is a bed in the room for your hubby at the hospital.Also the set up the hotel its in the price and it is really nice and they take you from the airport to hospital than to hotel and back to the airport . They also took the girl that was there with me shopping and to get her teeth wightened..Best of luck with whom ever you choose.

Both of those surgeons are great ones. So I suggest talking to them both & then going with who you feel more comfortable with!

In the end I chose Dr Kelly too, but Dr Ponce de leon is great too!

Dr Kelly uses a coordinator named Omar now, who speaks fantastic English by the way. I have e-mailed them several times & they get back to me right away, it's been great so far.

The cost you pay includes everything except the airfare. Includes transportation from San Diego airport to the hospital, then hotel, then back to the airport. Plus they will drive you to go shopping or even get your teeth whitened!

Oh & you asked how quick you can get an appt with them. It can be a matter of weeks if you want. I think I booked the end of March & asked for May 10th & that was open for me.

I was going to go with Dr. Kelly but changed to dr. Ponce de leon and am very happy with my decision. My surgery is May 10th. You can contact Trish at 661-886-4617 her website is http://www.wls4betterlife.com/index.html Good luck in your journey and please do your research! (oh and I booked my surgery with Dr. Ponce just a couple of weeks ago)

I went to Dr Kelly and was very happy. Very personal service, he comes to the hotel everyday to check on you and I really liked the hospital. My friend went to Dr Ponce on the same day and she is happy with her results. I know she was in horrible pain the day of surgery and I was pain free. She also had a drain, Dr Kelly doesn't use drains. Everyone has different pain tolerances so that might be it. I also know he doesn't speak much english or come to the hotel at all. My friends name is Seannie and she is on this board. I'm sure if you PM her you can get her first hand account. BTW, I <3 Trish. I wanted to bring her home w/me!

Hi Krista , I am from Sackville NB and m having surgery July 10 in New York city. Where do you live? my email is cynthia4722@gmail.com if you want to contact me

Cynthia

I went with Dr Ponce de leon and loved him,Trish was amazing too. She keeps in contact with you after as well.

I had a really amazing experience - the hospital staff and drs and nurses were amazing! I am a nurse in winnipeg and found the hospital really nice. Very clean , The nurses answered the call bell within 20 seconds!! isn't that insane? Usually faster . They came in to empty waste baskets several times a day. My sister loved the cafeteria and went out with trish for a couple meals as well . I took a ton of pictures and put them up on a photobucket account ... you can see them here... www.photobucket.com/wlstijuana. you can see the hospital and some of our shopping and the hotel you stay at in Tijuana ( across from the hospital for the last night ) The price includes pretty much everything except your flight.

Thanks for your in-depth post, outoftherain. The photos are great. Thanks very much for sharing them.

Since you are a nurse, you would know the pros and cons of having a drain. Could you comment on that, please.

Thanks,

Paula

Thank you so much for your thoughts, opinions, and experiences everyone! :) I'm happy to say that I'm having surgery with Dr. Ponce DeLeon on May 10th, and will be meeting up with BeautyVGSJourney! Trish has been wonderful and so helpful and I can't wait to meet both her and BeautyVGSJourney. I can't believe it's happening so fast, but I'm so excited to finally be having this done after years of thinking, planning, and waiting. I can't wait to get on with the rest of my life!

Almost forgot! Cynthia, I'm not too far from you, just across the puddle on the Island :) Good luck with your surgery, are you self paying as well?

NJSharon, I believe Dr. Kelly has his patients stay at Hotel Lucerna? If so, we will likely be there around the same time. If you're up to it, I'd love to chat with another sleever! :)

NJSharon, I believe Dr. Kelly has his patients stay at Hotel Lucerna? If so, we will likely be there around the same time. If you're up to it, I'd love to chat with another sleever! :)

Yep, I should be at Hotel Lucerna, you, me & Beauty can have a big post-op party & sip chicken broth together! LOL

Good luck!

Sounds like a plan! Good luck to you as well! :)

I am definitely in! I cannot wait! less than two weeks to go!

Thanks for your in-depth post, outoftherain. The photos are great. Thanks very much for sharing them.

Since you are a nurse, you would know the pros and cons of having a drain. Could you comment on that, please.

Thanks,

Paula

as much as I hated the drain , I liked that I had one. I think it can help diagnose a leak, and it was good to have the excess blood drained out. For me , I was glad there was one more way to tell if there was a leak, I think a lot of times it is personal preference of the surgeon.