Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

As I prepare for surgery in 13 days and the nerves are up and down, you start to hear stories. Has anyone out there had Hair loss issues with this surgery. I know I cannot let everything effect me right now. But we are the most sensitve now. Just curious - does it grow back?

I am still pre-op but yes, have heard you do lose your hair... not normally in chunks, but a fair amount.

As for growing back. I know you will stop to lose hair after a little while, as your body adjusts to everything. But not sure if it will grow back in or not??

First off...congrats on the surgery date and I hope everything goes smoothly. I am a little more than 4 months post op and I am going through some hair loss. When I shower I lose a lot more hair than I used to. I have started taking Biotin and fish oil and that has seemed to slow it down some. According to my surgeon it is fairly normal and will stop. I am doing my best to get in my 80gm of Protein a day but my sleeve doesn't like Protein shakes so I don't always meet this every day. I do not have bald Patches but I had a lot of hair to start with. Even with this Hair loss and some other issues I have had, I would not go back. This is the best thing that I have ever done and it is truly saving my life. It took me around 2-3 months post op to stop regretting my decision, but it is totally worth it in my opinion.

Sorry for the long reply...I just found that the more I knew preop the better I felt going into it.

Im also preop but my NUT said if I get my 80g of Protein and keep my Iron levels up I should be ok. She said her patients have had minimal Hair loss.< /p>

Well, I haven't noticed any hair loss....yet. I would have thought it would happen by now. My surgery date was 1/17/12. I've gotten in my Protein daily and take one Biotin tab along with my other Vitamins and I'm happy to say, no Hair loss. I think it just depends on you. Do what you are suppose to do and deal with what may be. Also, I think it helps NOT to worry about hair loss (I didn't worry about it) and it just might not happen. :-)

I am a licensed barber though I don't work in the field any longer...I am a stay at home Mom...if you look up a post that says Biotin-How Soon Post Op? I posted some suggestions to help prevent the Hair loss as well as suggestions for helping minimalize it/help it grow back in if you end up experiencing some. If I need to I can log on to my computer and copy/paste the info here too...let me know if u would like me to do that and I will!!

Can you post it here too?

OK, here is what I posted for someone that was noticing some hair loss and someone who was wondering about the Nioxin prior to seeing hair loss...if you have any questions let me know...

I am a licensed Barber with LOTS of experience with Nioxin...it's safe to start using the Nioxin now. Before the loss begins if you like. Just know that Nioxin acts to cleans your hair and scalp by way of eliminating any hair from follicles that may have become dormant. In order to cleanse out that follicle in hopes of it re-activating at some later point. Don't be surprised if you start seeing a little more Hair loss before you start noticing it growing back. That process can take 6 to 8 weeks of use.

Also, don't bother with the Nioxon brand Vitamins as they are EXTREMELY COSTLY, much more so than Biotin or hair skin and nail formula and are the same thing...stick with the Biotin and save your money. Nioxin has a Follicle Booster out now that I do recommend. Its awesome and can jump start the follicle re-activation process..please let me know if you need any other hair related tips...this is my specialty!!!

And most of all even though ur hair is falling out some, still get trimmed once in a while and use a good conditioner....deep conditioning once a week while massaging your scalp will help. Any way to keep the blood flowing to the scalp is awesome...brush it out at night, every night with a bore bristled brush to spread the natural oils through the hair shaft ....I got mine at Sally Beauty Supply...and get a good Shampoo brush...use it when shampooing and conditioning...I hope this helps!!!

Im pre-op, but I have thin hair already so I started taking Biotin 8 weeks ago. I can see baby Hair growth.< /p>

Hello everyone ~ I'm about 9 months out now and have just noticed that my hair has become much more finer. My new hair stylist also confirmed that it is thinning. For me, the Hair loss has been a very gradual process. Never handfuls or combfuls of hair coming out, just more noticeable shedding. I plan to start taking Biotin soon.

I just switched from Biolage to the Keratin Complex...man what a difference...they actually have products on the market for "plumping" the hair. If the thinning becomes annoying. I have used them even though my hair is super thick, to achieve the "texas hair" LOL...it plumps your cuticle layer making the hair feel and appear thicker. Mix some thickening serum with a small amount of mousse and blow dry...it works awesome!

Thank you everyone for the responses on Hair loss. Am I too late to start with Biotin now as I have to stop everything in 5 days. Should I wait until after surgery? How much do I begin to take? Really appreciate everyones feedback. ^_^

What about Ovation hair Therapy? I've never tried it. I wonder is anyone else had success with it?

When any of u ladies post op have lost hair, do u mainly loss it in back? I'm nervous that I'm going to lose an obvious amount or patch like right in the front and everyone will notice. Also I plan on using some hair extensions, the pin in ones, to help with volume- which I have no experience with- :)