Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5K Advice

So I am signed up to do my first 5k race this weekend. To be clear, I am not at the point where I can run the full 5k yet. I have done the C25k program but only have gotten to week 4 and am pretty much stuck there for now. I am looking for advice on how to handle the week to be in the best shape I can for the race on Saturday.

My plan is:

Monday - 5k walk/run (either on treadmill or outside, dependant on weather) + weights

Tuesday - 5k walk/run (either on treadmill or outside, dependant on weather)

Wednesday - 9-10 mile bike ride (either on treadmill or outside, dependant on weather) + weights

Thursday - 5k walk/run (either on treadmill or outside, dependant on weather)

Friday - Rest

Saturday - Race

I also plan on not restricting my carbs at all this week, even though I can't eat much of them anyways.

Easily I can complete a 5k in 45 minutes doing the walk/run pace that I typically keep. I am hoping to finish the 5k this weekend in 40-41 minutes. But really just doing it is an accomplishment.

Let me know if this looks good or where I should make changes. I would really like to enjoy myself this weekend if possible :)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Looks good to me--the excitement at the beginning of the race should help speed you up at the start. You'll do great!

You can walk the whole thing if you want to, but I am going to try and run about 1/2 of it.

You're right, just finishing is a huge goal of mine and I am sure I will feel great afterwards. Getting kind of nervous though...

Set yourself some intervals and do it that way. E.g. run 5 mins, walk 1.5 mins. I find that I end up with better times doing intervals than running steadily.

I would taper down the Thursday run to just a walk in order to stretch out your muscles. At this point in you training, recovery time is the most important part of success and staying injury free.

Exactly what mass said. Taper down a bit earlier and up your carbs ( sometimes that means reducing protien for a couple days) then start slow - ish and gets some intervals in. That way you save your strength for a faster finish!! Good luck and be proud at the finish- no matter what your time is!!!!

Good idea to not cut out your carbs that week! I'm doing a Warrior Dash in a few weeks and I AM NOT a runner. :wacko: But I've committed to it and went for about a run the other day and got about a mile in before I stopped. This race is 5k as well (along with obstacles and rope courses). So I am planning on doing about a half mile at a time and walking briefly in between. The intervals that BlackBerryJuice mentioned are also good for preserving muscle. Usually my cardio consists of sprints, high paced walking or 20 minutes on a stationary bike, so this is pretty new to me too. Also, make sure to stay hydrated. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Tomorrow will be my 5th 5k, and I am no expert by any means, but speaking from worked from me....

One of your run days needs to be a long run at an easy pace ( you should be able to talk), another run should be a tempo run (you run or walk for 10 min, then crank up the speed until it's strenuous but manageable for 15 to 20 min, then cool down with another 10 min. This is like the interval training), then another day is a recovery run. I think the reason you are stuck is because you haven't pushed out of that 3 mile box. I had the same problem and the tempo runs helped my get past that. I'm up to 6 miles now and have only been running since Jan :)

This is going to take time and as you progress, add in hill work outs and such. There are several websites with great articles. www.active.com and www.runnersworld.com. I also got some free training plans from running.about.com and www.halhigdon.com. I hope this helps!

Lisa