Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did You Quit Coffee? If So, How?

OK. I was advised at my support meeting yesterday to begin the process of phasing out the java.

I have strong coffee twice a day (0600/ 1400) and get headaches when I miss it.

Just a quick round table- did you? How did you?

Thanks

/F

It's caffeine that has to go unfortunetly, it is a stimulant(which makes you want to eat)and an irritant which will hurt your sleeve. We switched to Dunkin Donuts Decaf brewed strong and it is pretty good. I work midnights and believe me it can be done and my dr is ok with me having decaf.

I quit cold turkey, used a lot of Advil for 3 days, and it was done. I still miss it, but I don't crave it.

I have been drinking Decaf coffee black to make up for missing regular coffee. My doctor allows us to drink decaf. Good luck!

I quit back in Nov 2011. I switched to Oolong tea which can be re-steeped 6x. The first three days my head ached badly. Since I quit I have tried coffee 5x and now I don't like the taste...go figure. I had been drinking coffee since I was a little girl. Even my friends have commented they cannot believe I don't drink it anylonger.

I gradually drank less and less for about one week. Try cutting it down by 1/4 of the amount each day. I only had a headache for 1 day but it wasn't too bad.

I have been drinking Decaf coffee black to make up for missing regular coffee. My doctor allows us to drink decaf. Good luck!

I like your ticker! How do you import this in? I have always drank decaf coffee and my coordinator says it is ok pre surgery however post surgery not good until you heal. Good luck

I've been allowed Decaf coffee since week 2 post op. I drink a few cups a week and find that it helps with bathroom issues. I have literally been decaffeinated since beginning my pre-op diet and don't find too much of an issue with it now. Pre-op, though, I was a diet coke addict and I'm sure the caffeine had a lot to do with it! I'm amazed that my energy level is very high even with no caffeine now.

I didn't notice a real problem with coming off the caffeine, but that may be because I was so involved in trying to deal with my two weeks of liquid diet pre-op.

Good luck, however you do it. Caffeine has a tendency to rob the body of Water, so it is worth the effort to get it out of your system.

I drank coffee preop. That was something that I wasn't ready to give up until I had to. I am allowed two caffinated beverages a day. I was so excited, since I could not imagine not having my coffee. I decided to try a small cup and it did not agree with me. Not only did it send me running to the bathroom, it also didn't taste good anymore. No more coffee for me.

I always wonder why people give up coffee if they love it. It has no calories and it's an antioxidant. I have had a large 2% iced vanilla latte from caribou everyday since 1 month post op and I am 8 months out and less than 5 pounds from goal.

I've drank coffee my entire life (starting from childhood with cafe-con-leche's). I quit cold turkey when I did my two week diet and between the coffee and no carbs I had an unbelievable headache for 5 full days. It was torture. I was worried about making sure my stomach was healed and so I didn't start drinking it again until about 3 months post op. I really missed my warm, wake-up drink and am back to drinking one cup of regular coffee each morning. As Lissa put it, it also helps to keep me regular. If I'm really in the mood for a second cup (maybe once a week) I make it Decaf so I'm limiting the caffeine I'm taking in. When I started back on coffee, my hubby-to-be surprised me with a Keurig one cup coffee brewer which works wonderfully! I love it.

For some silly, silly reason, I didn't go totally off caffeine until my Dec. 27, 2011, surgery, which gave me a headache for about five days after surgery and it broke through my pain meds. Not my best idea ever. Wish I'd done it gradually a month or two before surgery, but I didn't, so ....

About four weeks post-op, I would have coffee occasionally usually as a no-fat latte, but I don't have coffee every day and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

The one caffeinated thing I've totally given up and have no desire to go back to is my formerly beloved Diet Coke. No desire at all.

Onward,

Carol

I actually picked up a coffee habit post-sleeve - mainly in an effort to minimize my soda consumption, which has worked well. I went through a coffee + half-n-half phase, but realized the calories were not much lower than in a latte, and lattes taste better, so I drink 1-2 lattes a day now. I just factor in the calories and eat less on days when I have 2.

When I was pregnant I quit coffee cold turkey and my OB said to try chocolate milk. It allowed me to ease off the coffee and within a couple of days I didn't need the chocolate milk either. I started drinking coffee again after my daughter was weaned from the breast and am no longer "addicted" to it. I have a cup when I want to, but don't drink it daily so as not to develop that dependence again.

I actually quit coffee with my surgery. The first few days after surgery, I did not feel the best anyway, so the added coffee withdrawal was not a bother. I do have one cup a day now.