Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day After Surgery- Swallow Test Not Good

Had my surgery yesterday and everything seemed to go well, Had the barium swallow this AM to check for leaks and there were none, but the barium was not flowing well from the esophagus to the stomach. Doctor said nothing to worry about...that it is probably just swelling at t surgery site and will improve. They will keep me an additional night and will see how I do on liquids today.

I'm trying not to worry about this, but it is disappointing. Anyone else experience this issue?

Th

Thanks!

HI Randal, I didn't have a barium swallow after surgery but wanted to offer some words of support. I know that right after surgery I was encourged right away to drink fluids and light Protein Shakes. Nurses were instructed to make sure I had somthing going at all times. It would be soooo tough just to get 1/2 an ounce down!!! A tiny sip felt like a pile of goop!!! All this to say that it makes a lot of sense that your doctor said there's a lot of swelling. If there are no leaks you're good!!! Sounds like your MD is on top of it!! So hang tight! The first few days/week is the hardest. Then things settle down and the swelling does go down. Sending lots of good thougths your way for a super speedy recovery! Welcome to the losers bench!!!!

Had my surgery yesterday and everything seemed to go well, Had the barium swallow this AM to check for leaks and there were none, but the barium was not flowing well from the esophagus to the stomach. Doctor said nothing to worry about...that it is probably just swelling at t surgery site and will improve. They will keep me an additional night and will see how I do on liquids today.

I'm trying not to worry about this, but it is disappointing. Anyone else experience this issue?

Th

Thanks!

I totally did, you are like me and are a "god sweller" It took almost 3 mins for the sips of barium to go into my stomach from my esphagus. It made drinking at first a bit of a struggle but I was able to do my best. you will be ok and take it slow!! Good luck on the journey

Oh my gosh! Mine was over 15 minutes! It didn't go down at all....they waited and waited....checked again in 5 minutes, it was still sitting in my esophagus, stuck, and wouldn't release into my tummy. They checked again at 10 minutes and it was still there! I was starting to get really worried....they told me to walk around the radiology dept a bit, so we did. Checked again at 15 minutes and SOME had gone down, but not all. LIke you, I worried and worried about it for days, even tho my doc said it's okay, it's just really swollen and it will loosen up. I was worried after I got discharged, kinda afraid to drink or anything as I pictured everything stuck, but needless to say, everything turned out just fine!

In fact, I'm one of the ones now that can eat anything, AND in large quantities (well, large for us, anyway!) You'll be just fine!!

Mine went down OK, at least as fast as I could gag that crap down :)

That was probably the MOST unpleasant thing about the whole sleeve process.

I have been drinking fluids all day with no issue and I definitely know they are reaching the stomach because it is gurgling so much. So I guess it was the swelling of my stomach or the tissues around it that caused the issue with the swallow test not showing what they wanted.

My abdomen is pretty swollen.

I didn't think I would leave the hospital looking fatter than when I went in, but with the swelling, that's they way it is :)

All in all, everything has gone well. I am in more pain that what I was expecting, but nothing like having a kidney stone ( compared to that, this is a piece of cake so far).

That barium test was the worst part of my entire surgery! I could barely stand while they took the xrays. And then they made me stand there for 15 minutes to do it again! Apparently two times was required from my surgeon. I was standing on a platform and they moved it without warning me - And with the tast of the liquid....I cried. It was horrible. Hope I never ever have to do that again!!!

Hi there I had the same problem 2 weeks ago right after surgery. I had to stay 2 extra days just to make sure. Many thoughts came to my mind like what if the doctor made it too tight. Then I learned that that's not possible. I was puking even the Water. After many tests even that white liquid came back out but it was just some inflammation and it's very normal it will get better nothing to worry about. As many people told me it doesn't matter how much it hurts to get up. WALK WALK WALK you'll be doing yourself a huge favor. Good Luck!!!! Every day gets better

Thanks for the replies. I have been on the liquids only yesterday and today and have had no problems throwing up-- not nauseated at all so everything seems okay. My surgery was Thursday and I'm still at the hospital, but should be discharged any time.

I feel really good today and it feels good to get up and walk around. Plan on trying to walk a lot when I get home.