Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeding Tube With Revision

My dr here told me he would put in a feeding tube after revision to help reduce the risk of a leak. So for 2-3 weeks after surgery there would be nothing by mouth until healed. this sounds like a good idea, has anyone every done this. Also, I still cant afford my dr so have researched all Mexico drs, but have never asked them about feeding tubes bc I had never heard anyone doing this. does anyone know if mexican drs will put in a feeding tube to help with the risk.. Also, I didnt know there were differenct kinds of feeding tubes. I assumed it would be insertd directly into stomack (never thought about how it is removed) but then I saw the news where brides are having feeding tubes up their nose to lose weight, so now im wondering what kind of feeding tube it would be. does anyone know anything about all this. Im still terrified of a revision, I dont want to be financially devistated if something should go wrong.

I just got back from Mexico, Dr. Almanza. I had a nasal gastric tube for about 24 hours,. The other revision people did also. After 24 hours they removed it and it was good to get rid of it but it wasn't just awful. I have only had 3 pain pills since I got my last shot into my IV for pain. I went to work today and stayed 5 hours, could have stayed longer but I have so much sick leave I might as well use it!

I dont understand the purpose of the 24 hour nasal tube, did they tell you why you needed it?

My surgeon is also going to have me on a nasal feeding tube. I thought this was normal for revision surgeries? I guess I feel good about it if she is taking extra precautions against leaks. Wow, I would like to hear if anyone else has has this or if this is something new.

Did it hurt you or bother you? How did it feel when they removed it?

That sound crazy I had my surgery june 12th and didn't need a feeding tube that's whacked out

A feeding tube, or nasogastic tube, usually runs from nose down to your stomach. It can drain out stomach contents OR be used as a vehicle for liquid nutrition. It sounds as tho you will still have "food" in your stomach so not understanding the why's of this.

No, I didn't have that either, that is very different

The only thing I can think of is maybe the doctor wants to control what enters and removed from the stomach during the first 24 hours or so???

Here is a link from wiki... but we all know how reliable wikipedia can be (sarcasm intended).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasogastric_intubation

Either way, I think I am going to give my surgeon's office a call and ask why they use a feeding tube.

My dr wanted to do a feeding tube as extra precaution for complications. With regular vsg, there is a policy you can take out that will cover any complications for 90 days. Revisions are too high risk so we cannot get that extra coverage.. The feeding tube was his was of providing extra insurance. Nothing by mouth to damage the staple line until it was completely healed. Sounds good to me. My biggeset fear is being financially devestated because of an elective surgery. This all relates to surgery in my hometown, not in Mexico. But since it sounds like good idea, I wonder if the drs in mx would do a feeding tube if requested for extra precaution, until the staple line is healed (for revision patients).