Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anxious! Please Help!

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this site. I'm having my surgery April 18, 2012! Yikes I am getting so nervous! How is the pain after the procedure?

Not to bad. But I've also had natural childbirth, and gallstones. So this surgery was a piece of cake.

But, I felt sore, bloated and I had some nausea. My doc gave me meds for the nausea and meds so I won't barf. I also got some for the pain. Chat to them about that- and see what they'll do for you.

I was really gassy. Getting up to walk really helped a lot. Gas X strips are still my saving grace. Love "em!

Going #2 was an "issue" (and still sometimes is) a few weeks down the line ( sorry for the TMI). So chat to them about stool softeners because you don't want to strain.

You'll do great! This is just a small moment on a life changing event. There are moments where you'll feel every emotion out there. But surround yourself with people you love and who love you back. And you'll do great.

I'll be crossing my fingers and toes, praying and doing a dance for you!

Hang in there girl for the ride of your life! :D

Pain is pain, and yes you will feel it. But the good news is that it's temporary and they give you meds to help control it. For me, it was as though I had done 1000 crunches, sore, achy, but not too sharp. You get out of bed slowly and gently, you want to hold your abdomen when you walk. While in the hospital, it was well-controlled with the IV drip. So I was felling pretty normal, tired and like I was healing. It's days after when you're trying to get comfortable in bed, or getting dressed that you notice the tightness and tenderness. Every now and then a "zing" of sharp pain, but it would pass in seconds. I would make sure you have medicine on hand to treat the gasiness, that was worse. I started incorporating Benefiber into my Protein drinks, drinking lots of Water, and walking as much as possible. That will help keep things "properly" moving for that first critical week when the GI tract is relearning as it heals.

You will be fine, and just keep your eye on the target! I'm 11 weeks out and I often forget I had anything done until I eat and I'm full after a small plate of food!

Thanks so much for the encouraging words! I'm so excited, but scared at the same time.

I recommend you discuss with your doctor if it will be him or another doc that will be seeing you after surgery - and go over your pain med options now. Later it is difficult to discuss the pain meds, and catch is you probably dont need to unless they arent working right.

They tried to try me on morphine, when I had told them not to, then demoral (or some such) and my doc had gave my post care over to another doctor, so no communication was working. the demoral would knock me totally out, and then when I woke it was so much worse because you cant sleep and get in your walking at the same time. Finally a nurse on the next shift told them to give me hydrocodone in a liquid suspension and she said..."I am giving you two medicine cups and your pain med is just over halved - the first sup is about 3/5 and the other is 2/5...sip it real slow..."

I did and I didn't need the other half, it was a suspension so it began to work quickly and after that I avoided having to take a whole dose - ever. No pain, less meds, less out-of-head. All good :)

Thank you, I will make sure to discuss this tomorrow before I have the procedure.

This was my first surgery and it was pretty much painless for me. The only pain I had was from the gas used to pump you up. It went away within a day and I felt great! Once you get up and walking the pain melts away.

I didn't take any pain meds after I left the hospital and only felt a little sore for a few days afterward. It kind of felt like I worked my core out a lot and had to be careful sitting down and standing up. But that was it!

You look pretty young, I am 20, my doc told me that younger people seem to bounce back faster and feel less pain. Also, less stuff to work around in ourselves if we have had no surgeries, so less poking and stretching.

Mesaucedo- Thank you for the beneficial information. I have also heard a lot of people having the gas pains. I'm 22, my doctor also told me that my surgery should be a piece of cake thats what I am hoping for anyway!

im 23 and my surgery is the 25th.. im scared too but i know ill be so much happier a year from now.. God bless us all!

Britt, April 18 is a fabulous day for a sleeve. It's my 1-year sleeve-aversary!! So special HUGS to you from me--this time next year, your body will be very different!! Congratulations on the start of your new life!!

Thank you everyone! Its time to go the hospital, I will be sure to let you all know how it went!

Hope you are doing well! Let us know!!