Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good question. I was wondering this too

I will start by saying there is nothing in soda that your body needs.

I have on occasion had some coke zero and some coke when I had a Migraine. I have even had a jack and coke (prob only three since surgery). I am a year out. I can drink about 1/3 of a can and give the rest to someone else. I can however drink a whole frozen coke. I get about one icee every three months.

The key is moderation and do not develop a multiple coke a day habit. I do not believe the carbonation will stretch your stomach.

I gave up carbonated drinks. Not worth all the hard work I went through. If I ever have a craving I let it go flat. I'm not trying to put extra air in my sleeve.

Some people can. I know a couple that have no issues, I can't. I use to have a nasty diet coke habit before surgery 5-6 cans a day easily. Now I can't even drink a whole can. Just a couple sips and I am hurting. I keep trying because I really believe diet coke is refreshing but even a sip will make me very nauseous. I can't have anything with carbonation yet. So it all depends on your sleeve.

I never have pain with carbonated drinks, I have them maybe 2 times a week on average - not necessarily pop, I also drink kombucha and mineral Water.< /p>

I only take a few sips at a time and let myself burp in between, though. The burps are silent, btw, lol!

It'd take me like an hour to finish a can of pop. I imagine if I gulped it down, I'd be pretty uncomfortable.

I honestly didn't drink a lot of soda before being sleeved, and I have absolutely no desire to do so now... it would HURT, I think--small sleeve plus bubbles doesn't sound like a lot of fun. I know there are folks on this board who routinely enjoy sodas, so I think it might be one of those "sometimes you can, sometimes you can't" type of things.

I started drinking diet soda at about 11 months out.. I don't drink it like I use to, by any means. But I do love my diet pepsi :)

Ok I borrowed a "WLS Cookbook for Dummies" from a friend.... that book says don't do carbonated beverages because they'll bloat you. Ok yeah we got that. But even if you drink it flat... the heat of your body will make the flat pop release more carbonation. And don't do caffeine because it dehydrates you more per the book. But I'm still a "newbie" here so... just say'n what I've read.... I surely do miss my Stevia drinks from Sprouts.... Cherry vanilla Creme by Blue Sky. OMG so good... it will be missed. :(

I can drink carbonated soda but I usually don't. I do drink beer on the weekends though, and it doesn't bother me one bit. Plus I've lost 113 lbs doing it. Who woulda thunk?

Yes you can have carbonated drinks BUT it MUST be in moderation. Constant drinking of carbonated drinks do expand your new stomach. It may not be stretched by much but it IS stretched.

I stopped drinking diet coke during my 6 month pre surgery phase. I used to easily go through almost a whole case a day...pop one open as soon as I finished the one before...however, now that i have switched to iced tea, the taste of diet coke makes me sick. It tastes so chemical like. Just the smell of it makes me nauseous!