Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Top 3 Tips For Success

I'm going to get my VSG soon...I'd love to get some "Top 3" lists from all you success stories here on most critical secrets to success. Perhaps they could be something beyond eat less and exercise more! hehe

Of course if you have more than 3, go for it!

1. Start exercising now. It doesn't have to be training for a marathon, but start walking and lifting small weights as soon as you can. You're building the habit into your daily routine, not training for that marathon.

2. Sip, sip, sip. Drinking Water is key, IMO, to losing the weight. Water hydrates your body and skin, fills up your tummy, and washes out the toxins and fat.

3. Get your Protein into your body every single day.

4. Forget dieting. This isn't a diet. It's a way of life. Get in the Protein and your veggies, THEN worry about carbs.

5. There are NO good or bad foods. It's either protein or it's not. If I could find a chocolate that had protein in it, I'd do it. Oh, wait, I do... Protein Bars.

6. Eat on a schedule. This is important because we aren't hungry for the first few months. Forgetting to eat is worse, FOR ME, than over eating.

7. Avoid Cheetos! :)

Yep! Lissa has said it all. Make sure you drink a lot of fluids.

Focus on Proteins first, then veggies, and little starch.

Walk, walk, walk, and sip, sip, sip.

Exercise now to get prepared by developing healthy habits. ;)

Enjoy the ride, it is a roller coaster! All good! ;)

NOOOOO Lissa.. Not Cheetos!!!! LOL...

Lissa has pretty much covered everything. Here's mine: Find yourself a good support system. Someone who will push you when you really dont feel like exercising or walking etc.

I and a friend (who is also my collegue) have an open bet - we have agreed to compare our daily walking. As I'm a bit competitive, this drives me to walk everyday. My treadmill has never seen so much action in years! LOL

AND - post here often. This forum has done wonders for me! People here keep you motivated!

what vegetable are not starchy?

what vegetable are not starchy?

There are a mulititude of non starchy veggies.. its easier to list the ones that DO have starch and avoid those. Starchy ones are potatos, including sweet, lima Beans and other varieties of Beans (they do have Protein though) and corn. There may be a few other starchies but I think thats about it. All the rest do not have starch. You know like tomatoes, green beans, asparagus, cabbage, all green leafy, peppers, onions, squash, okra and the list goes on and on.

There are a mulititude of non starchy veggies.. its easier to list the ones that DO have starch and avoid those. Starchy ones are potatos, including sweet, lima Beans and other varieties of Beans (they do have Protein though) and corn. There may be a few other starchies but I think thats about it. All the rest do not have starch. You know like tomatoes, green beans, asparagus, cabbage, all green leafy, peppers, onions, squash, okra and the list goes on and on.

Loving your picture Forensikchic! You're doing great!

I'd say avoiding the Cheetos (and all other slider foods) should be at the top of the list!!!! LOL!!!

I'd also like to add: Don't compare your results to anyone else....you'll drive yourself nuts!!!

My top 3 that has worked for me:

1. I bought those jello-shot plastic containers w/ lids ( I got mine at Smart & Final)- they have different oz sizes. Once I got to the mushy food stage it was great to portion out my cottage cheese, yogurt and whatever else mushy I ate. I was able to buy the larger size of cottage cheese and yogurt and save money. Plus, it was ready to grab to eat when I wanted it or when I was going somewhere.

2. Buy yourself a small ice chest. You will be needing to bring your own food and treats with you for a while-I still do- so it's nice to have one that fits in your car. Mine fits between the two front seats. And it's great for the kids too. Hooray for non soggy string cheese!

3. I love my cup. My non-sweat, stays cold longer, with a top that closes, cup. It's pretty much a giant sippy cup- but I love it. It goes with me everywhere. I use it everyday. Make sure if you get one- that it fits in your cup holder in your car! And always have something to drink with you at all times! ( I got mine at Bed, Bath & Beyond)

Those are my top three!

Good Luck- we are here for you! ^_^

7. Avoid Cheetos! :)

LOVE THIS LISSA!!!!

They are my all time favorite and since being sleeved, I refuse to eat them! It is hard when they are $0.80 in a vending machine right next to my office! :)

I just wanted to emphasize the exercise pre-op. I got up to 45 minutes on the elliptical and had some pretty good endurance. I truly believe this aided in my recovery.

The day of surgery I was in at 7:00, out by noon, took a nap for a couple hours and then took my wife out for dinner that night. I was sleeved in Vegas (Baby!) and I walked all over downtown that night and even played some blackjack! That was less than 12 hours after having 85% of my stomach removed! Next morning, we woke up, went to M&M, MGM, Wynn and more downtown walking. Back out to a nice dinner that night. Next day was more of the same. I felt great and was able to walk, walk, walk which will help dissolve the gas that gets trapped in your body.

And, like was mentioned, it is a good warm-up for successful weight-loss post-surgery.

The other think I would add to Lissa's list is to beware of the scale. Early on, it is meaningless. Seriously. Your body is going through such dramatic changes and retaining Water, releasing it, starvation mode, blah, blah, blah ... If you lost 10 pounds is that really 10 pounds of fat? What happens when 3 pounds come back? Did you really gain 10 pounds of fat? The scale just messes with your mind, and that is not a good thing. I try to weigh every couple weeks ... monthly earlier out. I always saw losses and that was encouraging. Those losses actually had meaning. You will see people on here weighing themselves multiple times a day and it just isn't good for us, IMO. Avoid it if you can.

I am pre-op, and have started to practice some of the things that will come post-op.

I bought a fitbit, which is a fancy digital pedometer that downloads my daily movement to the computer when I get home (it motivates me and says nice things - I picked it up this weekend and it said: "You Rock Mellie" - Ha!). It synchs with myfitnesspal.com, where I also log in my daily food intake. I'm following a 1600 calorie eating plan and have added Isopure protien shakes to my day to up my Protein intake, which was rather low before I realized the importance.

I've done WW for 25 years, so water-water-Water is already a part of my daily regimen. I'm trying to remember to take my Vitamins and supplements every day. I currently manage 3-4 days a week, and that is not acceptable!

Next on my list is to take a refresher course in something like crochet, so that I will have something to do with my hands while I watch tv at night, rather than snacking when not hungry. I'm not very good at puzzles, so I figured I'd avoid frustrating myself. :)

Wishing you all the best on your exciting adventure!

Next on my list is to take a refresher course in something like crochet, so that I will have something to do with my hands while I watch tv at night, rather than snacking when not hungry. I'm not very good at puzzles, so I figured I'd avoid frustrating myself. :)

I have to laugh- because I am in the same boat. I am looking around for a knitting or crocheting class because I am just like you, not good at puzzles and I love to snack while watching TV! :rolleyes:

I just wanted to emphasize the exercise pre-op. I got up to 45 minutes on the elliptical and had some pretty good endurance. I truly believe this aided in my recovery.

The day of surgery I was in at 7:00, out by noon, took a nap for a couple hours and then took my wife out for dinner that night. I was sleeved in Vegas (Baby!) and I walked all over downtown that night and even played some blackjack! That was less than 12 hours after having 85% of my stomach removed! Next morning, we woke up, went to M&M, MGM, Wynn and more downtown walking. Back out to a nice dinner that night. Next day was more of the same. I felt great and was able to walk, walk, walk which will help dissolve the gas that gets trapped in your body.

And, like was mentioned, it is a good warm-up for successful weight-loss post-surgery.

The other think I would add to Lissa's list is to beware of the scale. Early on, it is meaningless. Seriously. Your body is going through such dramatic changes and retaining Water, releasing it, starvation mode, blah, blah, blah ... If you lost 10 pounds is that really 10 pounds of fat? What happens when 3 pounds come back? Did you really gain 10 pounds of fat? The scale just messes with your mind, and that is not a good thing. I try to weigh every couple weeks ... monthly earlier out. I always saw losses and that was encouraging. Those losses actually had meaning. You will see people on here weighing themselves multiple times a day and it just isn't good for us, IMO. Avoid it if you can.

WOW... fella, you are one strong guy!! I was in hospital for 5 days. I had my surgery in the morning and slept all the way through that day and most of the next... I am in awe here...!!

On the handy tip thing, I agree with Pdxman... do not use the scale as the only form of measuring success... sure it is good to see the bloody thing move, but when/if it doesn't, look for other areas of success. Also take your measurements before surgery, this another brillant way to visually see how smaller you are getting! I've lost nearly 4 foot...lol =]