Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Makes Me Sleepy...

It seems like within 30-45mins of eating anything I start to get SUPER sleepy... Like sitting at my desk and falling asleep while waiting for someone I just called to answer the phone sleepy... I have a heavily phone intensive job and I've caught myself falling asleep mid-sentence trying to explain something to a student.

This morning for Breakfast I had a "turkey sausage" (Not real sausage, just ground turkey and some spices - I make it at home) burrito (only about 1/3 of the tortilla) - 3 hours later I had a yogurt with some strawberries and about a tbsp of granola for texture. Within 30mins of each of these I was falling asleep at my desk.

When this first started happening I thought it was my blood sugar, but I've had blood-work done several times, each time it comes back normal. has anyone else experienced anything similar? And if so, what is it and how do I prevent it?

I have it too. I was told that it is reactive hypoglycemia. When I eat, my body responds with too much insulin and then I crash. There's really nothing I can do about it. Carbs and sugars make it MUCH worse. Irarely have this on pure Protein. The hope right now is that it will normalize as I lose weight, as it is a pre-diabetes symptom.

Same here......it's better now, but at first all I could do after I ate was go lay down for a few minutes....luckily I'm retired......I think once we are all healed it won't happen so often, and even now, at 6 months out it happens rarely; but it does happen. I think Caradina is right; the carbs will do it to you but also eating too fast I think.

Going way out there but turkey has tryptophan in it which will make you sleepy if you eat it on an empty stomach..carbs will do it too. Make sure you are drinking lots of Water, if you are even slightly dehydrated it will make you feel sluggish and tired.

Going way out there but turkey has tryptophan in it which will make you sleepy if you eat it on an empty stomach..carbs will do it too. Make sure you are drinking lots of Water, if you are even slightly dehydrated it will make you feel sluggish and tired.

Thanks! I'm thinking it's probably not the tryptophan since it happens with just about everything I eat, but dehydration could have something to do with it. I think I'm gonna call my surgeon.

Thanks again!

It happens to me too! My husband thinks it's hilarious!! I think I was considered pre-diabetic, preop. Not sure about now.

I haven't paid attention to if it happens after Protein only meals...

Glad I'm not the only one, though.

I'm so glad you posted about this. I just did a search on the forum for "sleepy" and found your post. This is exactly what happens to me...except I'm at home and so just continue to sleep. It's a crazy deep sleep that just hits me and as much as I try I can not stay awake. I have to pick up my grandson this afternoon and have my alarm set for 4:00 because I'm so scared I'll be asleep. I was diagnosed as pre diabetic too so I'm wondering if that does have something to do with it. How are you all doing now? Have you seen improvememnt with time or any difference with types of food? I'm 14 days today and so thankful for this forum.

Just a quick update.....I am now 7 months out and it has stopped....BUT, I am also faithful about taking my B12 shot once a month (I didn't do that religiously the first 4 months because I was traveling) and I take a B12 supplement every day. I think that will help. If not, just give it time, it does go away. But it does hit you like a brick!!!!

thank you so much for your response. Yes, it does hit you like a brick! :wacko:

I haven't had B12...but starting today I WILL. In fact going to get it right now!

thanks again

I thought I was the only one. Everytime I eat I go through fits of yawning and I get so sleepy. I'm

5 weeks out and I don't eat carbs just Protein. I take my B12. Lately my sleeps have been so deep too. :-(

@ Mimismom: the sleepiness does pass....honest. But it took a few months. I now look back on those days and just laugh about it; because it always caught me off guard.....I would look suspiciously at my husband and say slowly....I....HAVE....TO....GO.....LAY......DOWWWNNNNN.....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ But at some point, it stopped happening and got replaced with some good energy!