Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok so I am looking to book my flight from Tampa to San Diego and its stressing me out so bad. I am not worried or stressed over the actual operation but the thought of the flight stresses me out so bad!! The thing that stresses me out about it is being embarrassed (I am very self conscious) to have to ask for the seat belt extender. Or the "what ifs" what if I overcrowd the person next to me?? It's a long flight. Or what if they tell me I can't fly unless I buy another seat. Or what if everything is fine withthe flight but the person next to me is rude. I wish I could afford to buy an extra seat but my mother insist on accompanying me so I am already buying two tickets. Does anyone have any advice?? Or know of a cheaper airline. Or an airline with roomier seats?? something??

What airline are you flying? I'm abig girl standing at 5'5 weight around 375-390 when I'd fly. I flew to Europe twice last year and Boston to Texas. I needed a seat belt extender on all flights including connecting ones except the flight to Spain which I was like OMG yay! I am so OCD when it comes to flying, I check my seat assignment everyday to make sure no one is sitting next to me and if they are I will literally switch seats. I ALWAYS pick an aisle seat that way I can get up and stretch. I used to love window seats but since I've gotten so big I'm like cramme up against the window and it's tourture ! Luckily I haven't had to buy another seat or have mean people sit by me that call me out. Most of the time in lucky to sit next to super skinny people or generous people that put the armrest up. I've also upgraded to business class at check in for the bigger seat (sometimes costs ($60-$150).

If you're traveling with your mom have her do the middle seat and you take the aisle OR if it's a plan with 2 seat options do that and at least your mom can put the armrest up for you if needed. I always ask for my seatbelt extender when I board the plane, as soon as I come through the door I say " Excuse me could I have a seat belt extender please" and they either give it to me then or bring it to me.

I've flown Southwest, Delta, Continental, American and United. United and Continental are my favorite, most comfortable seats.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I am 5'10 320 lbs., thank u for answering. I will ask for the extender as soon as I board as u did. There are no non stop flight:-( so I think that's the best I can do other that pray for an empty seat between me and my mom (she's a big girl too). I can't believe of all things to worry about this is what I am most worried about.

I am flying from Jacksonville to San Diego on Sunday the 22nd. Your concerns are exactly the ones I wrote in my blog, and I think all of us feel that way. When the flight attendant gives you the seat belt extender on the first leg of your flight, just "keep" it for the next leg. Still keep it on the first leg back, and on the final leg to Tampa, leave it on the plane. That at least gives you one less thing to worry about.

R u allowed to take the extendor off the plane?? If so that's exactly what I am going to do!!

You're not supposed to but I've done it before, my first time doing an extender. I was so embarrassed I didn't wanna ask again. But really you need to leave them on the plane lol

Lol that's what I thought. I just have to think that this will be the last time I will be "uncomfortable" on a plane because of my size. I will ask for one as soon as I get on the flight.

I suggest getting to the airport early to check in. I always do that, that way when I use the kiosk I can change my seats if needed and I always ask the flight desk people if the flight is sold out or not .

I bought a seatbelt extender on ebay Great investment. Plus when I know for sure I won't need it anymore I can probably sell it for about what I bought it. Very discreetly put it around myself and it worked great. I flew airtran and the seats were fine. I read somewhere that they were among the biggest of domestic flights. I did get a last minute offer to upgrade to BC for the way there and I booked it. I believe it was $25 for my daughter and I each. That option was not available on the way home. I was 5'9'' and 340 then.

I'm a travel agent... The only airline that will charge you for an extra seat is southwest. So if you are not flying them you won't be charged for an extra seat. I'm about the same size as you and always choose the window seat. That way I can shove myself into the corner. I have not had to use the extender and most of my weight is in my tummy. Good luck!