Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do You Really Feel Full?

So my biggest question is if you really feel full. Only people with the band previously will know what I mean by that. I don't want just the "new full" which basically to me meant you just get different levels of uncomfortable-ness... I want to know if your STOMACH actually feels full with the sleeve...???

Thanks!

it's not a full feeling like it used to be. . . it's more of a bad pressure like when you used to overeat at christmas time or thanksgiving. . . that very uncomfortable, i'm going to puke feeling. . . it's hard to explain, it's really odd. . .

I agree... I do full.. but if I take one more bite after the "full feeling"... then it gets painfull!

Yup, what thinoneday descibed is almost spot on. If you eat too much you get that thanksgiving bloated feeling and want to puke. I tend to get flushed and get a small fever too. Go figure.

But to answer your question, I don't get the 'full' feeling you have pre-surgery. Now I get a full feeling like my stomach has enough in it and I don't need anymore. And you learn this new feeling rather quickly....but its a good feeling. I find that its far better then the old full feeling. I know this is vague, but I hope it helps. I actually really prefer eating small amounts just to keep my energy going and never actually getting the full feeling. It seems like its just easier to move around and stay active.

I do get full. If I go even one bite past that feeling then its 'sick' full lol

Yes. You do feel full and it's uncomfortable.

Additionally, I am not hungry in my stomach like I was before. I can do food for others and not have a care in the world about it (remember sleevers have their gherlin cut out of that portion of their tummy as well). I DO recognize "head hunger" now.....

Yes. You do feel full and it's uncomfortable.

Additionally, I am not hungry in my stomach like I was before. I can do food for others and not have a care in the world about it (remember sleevers have their gherlin cut out of that portion of their tummy as well). I DO recognize "head hunger" now.....

Thats true. I do get hungry sometimes tho, but then there are also times when I forget to eat because my body just doesn't tell me.

Thats true. I do get hungry sometimes tho, but then there are also times when I forget to eat because my body just doesn't tell me.

How odd of a thing to try to understand. Before I had issues feeling like I was always hungry or never full.... now this! It's very different.

I think that this is so subjective, how do we know that we all felt the same way before??? Let me TRY to describe my personal experience, I am not describing the immediate post-op, but more the longer term (so far) experience:

- Band, with fill in it - I often still felt "hunger" it was just pain that told me that I had enough to eat. I found that to be miserable. I don't know how much of it was "head hunger" but I will tell you that what I feel with the sleeve is sooo different and so much less frustrating. This experience made me crazy and drove me more toward slider foods.

- Band removed - about a week after the band came out, I started becoming unbelievably, bottomless pit kind of hungry. I had a drive to eat that was so hard for me to control as I was consumed by the need to eat. I hadn't had any fill in my band for years, so I was surprised that having it removed made such a difference. i was trying so hard to not overeat and I never "stuffed" myself to the point of pain, but i felt like I was constantly hungry and eating didn't relieve it. This experience made me 100% sure that I needed to have the sleeve surgery because something is broken in my stomach to brain connection!

-Post sleeve - I generally have an absence of hunger. I do get hungry at times, but it is not the old "I am gonna die if I don't eat". I don't have that all consuming drive to eat anymore, I feel that I have more of a normal hunger response. I get hungry if I haven't eaten in a while, and often feel that I need a bit more if I have had very high activity. I have only eaten to the point of pain/vomiting perhaps 2-3 times since my surgery so that has not been a big problem for me. Basically, I feel like I can eat small portions, but eat pretty normal foods. When I eat, I try to stop at the point of "no longer hungry". SO FAR, I HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED THE WHOLE "I AM IN PAIN BUT I AM STILL HUNGRY LIKE I FELT WITH THE BAND.

I do sometimes still have head hunger, especially evenings. That is that desire to eat even when I am not really hungry. I often want snacky food so lately my solution has been the 100 calorie microwave popcorn. I sometimes have a Protein drink which fills me up, but doesn't really address my desire to snack. I wish I had a magic solution for that, but so far I am managing it by having my 4th meal (snack) after dinner. I am concerned about this in the long haul and it is an issue that I somehow need to wrestle with better. I am happy with my weight loss, so I must be doing okay, but i fear that this will eventually imped my losses and maintenance.

I get hungry and after I eat I feel full. It's extremely rare that I eat till I don't feel well. I did do that a few times when I early out from surgery, but at almost 11 months out, I am better at gauging when I am full and stopping before I get sick.

I do not have the crazy hunger I had pre-op, but I do get hungry before meals and I still have head hunger after dinner. Fortunately, I am satisfied with much smaller Snacks.

Lynda

Thanks for the responses. I think with the band, in some people, your hunger is never satisfied fully so it's easy to start over eating later in the journey. I'm just hoping that when I get my band out next week I can keep some control .... ugh.

[sharedmedia=trackers:tickers:8417]

[sharedmedia=trackers:tickers:8417]

I just called to ask my Bariatric nurse about this. I feel pressure right under my ribcage after eating. i assued it meant i was full. Reading this blog I am pretty sure I was right.