Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

20 Ways To Tighten Skin After Weight Loss

A wrap? Are you serious. Muscle' date=' time, age, length of time you were fat and genetics all play a part in your skin's elasticity. I didn't have the skin issues I had when I lost weight before because I lost weight in a different way. I kept my muscle in tact. This time around...the huge calorie defecit and not working out cause me to be flabby. Sure in time some of it will snap back, but I am prone to stretch marks. That skin is already stretched. Some people won't have skin problems and some people will, but I wouldn't go spending money on creams, wraps, skin scrubbing. Only time and muscle mass will tell how much snap back you are going to get. The rest, if you are still dissastisfied will have to be surgically removed.[/quote']

A wrap cleanses dead skin cells which in turn releases chemicals that rejuvenates the skin. With the rejuvenation process in full effect this helps with the skin elasticity which also assist this the epidemic of loose skin in formerly obese individuals... Elasticity is the key to each and everyone of these suggestions provided. Remember that what may work for YOU doesn't work for everybody and the reverse remains true.

I'm gonna weigh in here as a SOMEWHAT professional. And by professional I mean I studied skin in beauty school and worked for years doing said wraps and scrubs.

For the most part, time is your best bet with loose skin. It is what it is. Avoiding tanning will help with the appearance of aged skin (which is loose skin) in the years to come- that's just common sense.

The wraps/massages/scrubs all accomplish the same thing. They stimulate blood flow which in turn allows things to heal better/faster. And really- loose skin is sort of just skin that needs to heal. Some things heal better than others.

Remember all those skinned knees as a kid? How many scars do you have from it? How many faded away? Your skin healed OVER TIME!

These suggestions have worth. The one I think I disagree with the collagen lotions. A lotion may moisturize but it's temporary. Things that will really nourish and strengthen hair, skin, and nails are nutritious foods and lots of Water.

Thank you so much for this information, i will forward to my husband with the emphases on i need a spa day every week. lol, love it. so i will have to do more weight training and it will help thanks again

I just got a body wrap today and I lost 31&1/2 inches total from my body. I can definitely tell the difference, especially in my pants. I wore tight pants just for the purpose of seeing if I could tell physically afterwards. I have gotten body wraps before and I have done really well with them, back when I was losing weight on my own prior to gaining it back. I plan to get body wraps at least monthly. I have a goal of losing 20 more pounds by the fourth of July for my vacation, and I want my body to reflect all of the pounds lost. Some of these tips really do work, but like the OP said, all things don't work for all people.

thank you for the suggestions. I read them to my husband to get him prepared for the many spa treatments I will be going to LOL!!!

Jimmy thanks a billion for the information. People like you are the reason that I have come to love this forum. My surgery is Tuesday, keep me in your prayers.....Btw, I got soul too....lol

One more:

Mama Mio Skin Tight and Mama Mio Boob Tube. Seriously -- it's been five days and there is definite improvement. Not perfection but I'm not even concerned about perfection. Just bearableness. Try it!

Thanks for posting these tips, I am working on toning now. My stomach, butt, thighs, and upper arms look pretty sad and droopy after losing all my excess weight. I guess that's what happens when I've been obese since I was 8 :unsure:

It sucks because I'm almost as tiny as my little sister (who's always been skinny and fit), but now I have a droopy stomach that hangs out lol. She wears a size 4-6, and I wear a size 6-8. Hopefully working out will be sufficient because I don't want to go through more surgery... I went into this knowing I won't come out looking like a supermodel, but at the very least I want to look normal!

food for thought if you have stretch marks your skin is damaged they are little tears in the fibers, the elasticity is ripped apart,once this occurs there is no way to reverse this therefore unless you have skin removal you live with having A) saggy skin and 2) silver lines running the length of where ever you got them...( I have spoke to my dr about that) just saying ...tho the list is interesting I don't buy it either, just luck of the draw some skin will snap back some won't The wraps as attractive as that seems for lasting results you have to do them at least every week or so... so no there not a lasting solution either I don't have that luxury of spending 65+bucks a pop ( give or take depending where you live) SO I guess I will stick with Spanx till I can afford to get "the proven effective skin removal"

Great info,I am doing good with my weight training,but I just started so I haven't seen much of a change with the lose skin at 4 months out,due to my rapid weight loss :)

Yoga is a great suggestion too :) and Pilates. Great info I will pin this!! :) I am sure it will help many folks on here.

Liliana, you are an inspiration to me: 80 pounds in 6 months lost. Your start weight and goal are about the same as mine. I've been under the impression that, the less you have to lose, the slower you lose weight, but you've made great progress. I would love to know what you are eating, how much you exercise, and whether you have loose skin issues.

And, just to keep this on topic, I think this is a great thread, and I forsee that I will have skin sagging issues. I am 48, and my skin is not as elastic as it used to be. When I lost 70 pounds on Phentermine in my 30's, I had no skin issues, but I am sure I will this time.

Vitamin E oil is supposed to be good as well for skin; although, I don't know if it will actually shrink sagging skin. Safflower oil is also good for skin according to Dr. Oz show, and I may try Coconut Oil and Argan Oil as well.

Thanks Jimmy & Meghan for the great information!

Most of our doubts about information come from fear, from conditioning after things tried and failed, for some it makes it hard to try something new or again. It hope this thread will give some, hope, as it has given me.

I have saved this information and will try as many of the suggestions I can afford. I'll report back any progress I make with them as I lose weight and allow enough time for a proper response. The great thing about our new life sleeve diet is that we will be focusing on daily high lean Protein and nutritious Fluid content already. I'll report back any progress I make with them as I lose weight and allow enough time for a proper response.

I really appreciate your in-depth report on options that may help us, help our bodies heal and tighten our skin. Thank you for keeping it real with the fact that we should not expect our ultimate skin tightening until 6 months after our final weight loss goal is met. It helps to have advice that includes realistic expectations.

I read this with interest as I reached goal eight weeks ago and now of course am hyper critical of the small areas I wish would be different ;-P

I have been lucky in that I have some pouchy skin at belly and midriff, and some bat wings, but not much else. Considering the 120 pounds lost I feel fortunate! I also have worked out, and continue to work out, a LOT. I think that has been a major factor in keeping the loose skin at bay. Certainly at my age, 59 next week, elasticity is supposed to be much worse.

The one thing i noted is that it is almost impossible to follow the suggestion to not lose too quickly as by nature WLS causes a much more rapid weight loss. I think that is why we are all particularly susceptible to this issue.

I will give a scrub a go just to see if it helps. I do know that as I have always gotten at least 64 ounces of Water in, and for the last few months 96-128, my skin is very soft and feels good for the most part. I get my Protein, work out a TON, and use sunscreen.

I have hopes that six months from now some of this will be better! I can't afford surgery.

I would love it if everyone was to weigh in with their results in trying some of these things...

The other thing of note is that I never thought I would be one to even care about a little loose skin as I have never been particularly vain in that way. But lo and behold, now that I look good and feel so good and wear a size 8 I do care in a new way. It makes me laugh at myself.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Thanks Jimmy!