Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Small Bites... a question for the experienced bandster

There have been several of us "newbies" trying to deal with what we assume is an overfill. We take a bite and it hurts, we PB and then we don't know what to do. But I wonder if we are doing something wrong.

Some of us have admitted to eating solids before we were allowed to after our fill (some of us have not), some have blamed the band, and I (as usual) over-react and worry.

I assume that if I chew well enough to make it mushie that I can take as big of a bite as I want to. My big scoop of pudding goes down. But when a solid/mushie goes down it can hurt.

Tonight I remembered reading that you need to take small bites. So I sat down with some hamburger meat and took very small bites... and it went down without pain. So my 1/2 cup of meat stayed down.

After a good fill. When you can tolerate mushies/liquids, and you go on to hard food, what is the ideal way to switch? What is the ideal size of a bandster bite?:hungry: And how do you know if you are truly overfilled or just doing the "band thing" incorrectly? Thanks in advance for the help.

I hate to tell you this but what you are doing is the right thing. When its not working, go to threads, read what others do, implement the basic rules.

These are what I call basic rules:

don't drink with meals

small bites chewed 25 times

stop at the first sign of being full

don't lay down for at least an hour after eating

eat your last meal 3-4 hours before bedtime

never assume that what works today will work next week

Even after 15 months, this is still a learning experience for me. Good luck.

After a good fill. When you can tolerate mushies/liquids, and you go on to hard food, what is the ideal way to switch?

I gave it a day on Clear liquids, then another day on thicker liquids (thick Soups, yogurt) then on to mushies for another day, then my transition food was usually a softer solid food (fish & boiled veggies usually)

I don't think there is any hard and fast rule on this one. I think it comes down to whatever works for you.

What is the ideal size of a bandster bite?:hungry:

I was told the size of a toddler spoon or fork. So I used them for the first few months post op, and after every fill.

And how do you know if you are truly overfilled or just doing the "band thing" incorrectly?

Again, no hard and fast answer for this one. I always say I am over filled if I need to be on liquids. The way I work my band, I like to be able to eat real foods. I don't think a person can do the "band thing" incorrectly, unless they are eating around the band (ice cream, slurpies, chocolate topping - I knew a girl who was so tight she drank chocolate topping) But that's just my opinion.

After a good fill. When you can tolerate mushies/liquids, and you go on to hard food, what is the ideal way to switch? when i had good restriction the way i ate my meals was...i would eat the softest mushiest items first to get my throat-banded area good and lubed. then i would eat my protien last. this usually ensured i would not PB

What is the ideal size of a bandster bite?:hungry: my first few bites are always the smallest. i will take just a niblet to see if i 'feel' it (in a bad way) i give a good 3-5 minutes to make sure i am not setting myself up for a PB then i proceed with caution.

And how do you know if you are truly overfilled or just doing the "band thing" incorrectly? if you following all bandster rules and still PB'ing and not tolerating solids then you are to tight. if you are having problems with liquids you are to tight. if you are having dicomfort with EVERY meal then you are to tight. reflux is generally a sign of being to tight. if you have to ask you probably are to tight.

these are things that apply to me. i have had *sweet spot* restriction, i have been to loose, i have been to tight.

Hi, Poodles!!

As for the size of a bite.....I've seen that some doctors saying "nothing bigger than the size of an M&M." Guess they thnk most of us can relate to that example.

I've finally learned to NOT drink anything cold before trying to eat....worst mistake I've made iS eating a snowcone and then trying to get food to go thru past my frozen band....OUCH!! Since my band seems tighter in the mornings I've made it my routine to drink a cup of hot tea/coffee before I try to eat in the mornings.....seems to be working for me.

I picked up a bottle of papaya enzyme at GNC yesterday, though, just in case I get something stuck that needs helps disintegrating quickly. I hear that it helps.

I've always stuck to the idea of 'nothing larger than a pencil eraser'. It is definitely a learning curve. If you cut your bites before hand and do not find yourself overly hungry when you sit down to eat, it helps. Also between bites, lay your utensils down, then chew, chew, chew.

This was and still is my bigggest challenge, but I have found a tool to helo, its a oyster fork, its a tiny fork with three prongs, I dont care what I eat with it , it makes all the diffrence..

I like it so much I bought a dozen of them .. at a restarant supply place.. it was the best 3 bucks I have ever spent..you can get dessert spoons too!

Why do you think small bites work with solid foods while any amount of mushies will go down?

It just does not make sense to me...

Why do you think small bites work with solid foods while any amount of mushies will go down?

It just does not make sense to me...

Texture.

Mushy food will drip through to the lower stomach quicker than something, although well chewed, still fairly solid.

Think about mashed chicken Vs mashed potato. The texture it totally different.

and small sauces and bowls work better for me too, as they imply *a LOT of food* since they are 'full'....but thankfully I'm usually quite satisfied with one dish helping.

A 7" tortilla roll-up and cut into 4 pieces makes a saucer seem REALLY full...often only 2 of those pieces make me full enough...

cheers....good luck....

we just bought a new set of dishes and my dinner plates are the 6" salad plates. the dinner plates were 12"!!! so i didnt buy them. it would be more like a platter than a plate! so when company comes over they use our small plates too and if they want more they go back for seconds rather than pile it all on one plate!

I also do the small fork thing. When I was brand new I even bought some baby spoons to just get used to taking the smaller bites. I bet I used a seafood fork about the first 6 months, just got used to it. Now as it is, being out 16 months, I only use small salad fork ever.

I think that I am restricted perfectly now. Acually ate a Healthy Choice salsberry steak and potatoes and it filled me up. I could usually eat two, and some bread...

Small bites sure help things go down without pain. (feel like going... duhhhh)

Jack:

anticipitory esphoigal spasm!! I never knew there was a name for it but I've had it for years. I'd choke on nothing like I swallowed something down the wrong pipe only I didn't. A drop of Water would set me off like I couldn't breath. I haven't done it for a long time but I used to a lot. It seemed to be in my head!

I don't no , mushies wont go down for me either, no different than solid foods. I PB just about every day and I think I eat to much and too fast, its a learning exsperience and I still haven't got the whole thing down pat yet.

Good luck all

Banded May22nd-215

tolday-196