Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Truth Moment: Does It Piss Anyone Else Off To Hear People Say The Surgery Is The Easy Way Out? Or You Could Just Stop Eating.

This bothers me to no enTruth Moment: Does It Piss Anyone else off to hear people say the surgery is the easy way out?? or you could just stop eating.d. How do yall handle it?

No, it doesn't bother me. I am 47 years old, have a reasonably decent IQ, know the calorie content of everything under the sun, yet I have been battling weight most of my adult life. If all it took was someone to tell us to just put down the fork, no one would be fat. I consider people who think like that to be simple-minded types who don't understand the power of the human mind.

It used to bother me, but seriously--anyone who says that out loud in front of me isn't someone whose opinions I'm going to worry too much about. I prefer to surround myself with intelligent, positive, supportive people. :-)

I did have one lady tell me she had lost weight "the hard way," and I said, "Congratulations!" Who needs negativity??

It irrates me when people make that comment. Usually the conversation begins with a praise on how good I look and then comes the dread qustion "How did you do it." Several times people have commented on how I took the easy way out. Then follows the story how their relative struggled to lose fifty pounds with dieting and excerising and was successful. Good for them. I did what I felt was best for me. If it was the easy way out I don't feel it. All the vomiting related to this surgery truly has been difficult for me.

No one's ever told it to me, partly because I don't disclose it to that many people, and the ones I did tell aren't that rude. But honestly, it's not often that I see someone who I'd honestly say has a better body than me, and why would I take advice from someone who's in worse shape than me? And the people who DO have a better body than me work SO hard for it - I respect that but I'm just not willing to torture myself that much (zero processed food, no dairy, no grain, etc).

I always wanted to tell them, "No, It isn't an easy out, just like your learning to mind your own business isn't easy, either."

This is the reason I am choosing not to tell people. If they have never been through being overweight than they do not know what is hard and what is not. I will only disclose my surgery to people that I can fully trust and no one else. It is a private thing that no one needs to know about. Stupid people are all over the world and they will say stupid things. I prefer not to give them the ammunition to piss me off. :)

Nope those are the people that really want it but either they can't afford it or their insurance doesn't cover it.

I am doing what is for ME! Forgot the negative nannies.....

I definitely see jealousy in a comment like that. Or someone who just wants to make you feel less good about your accomplishments in order to make themselves feel superior. It's like some sort of oneupsmanship. It's people like that who loved to start drama in high school and never grew out of it. Stupid is as stupid does.

Girl, haven't encountered anything yet, but I can tell you, those will be fighting words!! LOL! Shoot, what's easy is getting type II diabetes from over eating, getting HB medication, high cholesterol.. and then letting the government pay for my health bills, which consequently means letting the public pay for me to over eat! Yep, that's right.. I said it! It's easy to over eat, it's easy to go for fast food, it easy to blame everyone else on my inability to lose weight...Easy way out my arse! What's SMART is recognizing my issues and dealing with them head on - rather than waffling - doing every diet under the sun and still failing.. and only to wake up years later with every known chronic issue out there related to weight. What's SMART is being there physically, mentally and emotionally for my kids.. Being in a good place to nuture, love and inspire them that all things are possible... OMG... don't get me started.... I can't stand naysayers and anyone that even thinks they are going to get away with saying that to me will regret it... I'll give them the schooling of their life....

as I re-read my above post... I don't want to give anyone the impression that I am on government assistance... I was just using that as an example... (in the voice of Jerry Seinfeld.. not that there's anything wrong with being on public assistance.)

So far I have been very lucky and NO ONE has said a word to me about it other than "I am so happy for you and you will be so much better for it". I tell everyone that asks about my weight loss that I had the surgery, I am so proud of myself for having it done and not just sitting around complaining about how much I weight or how unhealthy I am.

I want the world to know that I took the first steps in getting healthier and happier, I love sharing my story with everyone. I was very sick and taking a ton of pills had 5 heart attacks and a stroke, not able to exercise or even do house work (dishes, laundry, even make the bed) so this surgery (even though it could have killed me) was not the easy way out. It is my way back in to the world of the living and am so thankful for having it done.

It used to bother me....but anyone that knows me, knows that I haven't taken the "easy" way out. My sleeve is simply a wonderful tool that has helped me in ways that diet alone has never done.

I manage a group of about 20 people at work and some of my staff have asked their supervisor (who knows about my surgery) how I've lost my weight. I guess she says to them "She's eating right, is training for a triathlon and works her butt off for it everyday!" I loved hearing that!!!

I can honestly say without a doubt that this is the hardest thing I have ever done, anyone that thinks its easy is smoking crack, insensitive and wouldnt be my choice of friends....I haven't told many people for the same reasons, people are cruel :)

That's pretty much the reason why I haven't told anyone. Besides, it's none of their business. :)