Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Capacity At Eight Weeks Seems More Than It Should Be

Monday the 9th will be 8 weeks since my surgery. The other day, I let myself get a little too hungry, so when I made a can of tuna for lunch (regular 5 oz can) with some light mayo and pickle relish- I ate the WHOLE THING!!! With a few wheat crackers to boot! I only felt very slightly uncomfortable. Should I be able to do that?!? I can easily eat 6 oz of food. I do not make a habit of getting too full. I stop when I feel like I'm getting there, or sooner. I've been weighing my food and trying to be careful, but if I only eat a couple ounces, I'm hungry again in no time. Like...stomach growling fiercely kind of hungry. This is worrisome. Is anyone else this way? Does it change over time? My surgeon used the endoscope to size my sleeve, which is equivalent to a 34 bougie, which is pretty small. I'm not worried that I've stretched it, because I don't stuff myself. But what IS going on?? Any ideas?

You really cannot stretch the sleeve. The tissue on that part of the stomach is not stretchy.

I can hold 6 oz of yogurt easily. I can do less than that with denser Protein (3 to 4 oz.) The mayo must have made it slide through easy. Try cutting it out and just eat the tuna and see what happens.

It may be that you have a long thin sleeve. As long as you are losing and getting in the Protein, it shouldn't matter.

You seem to be losing just fine. 44 pounds at less than 2 months is GREAT!

My PA saw me at my last visit and told me that the capacity of my sleeve is anywhere from 8-12oz, but he did also say that doesn't meant I'll be able to ear that much since its not taking into consideration the lining if the stomach which is apparently quite thick. He said the most I'll probably ever be able to eat is about 9oz comfortably and that it will take some time to get there. I was also told to measure, not weigh, my food.

What I'm getting at is that there really isn't one single standard and were all different. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

You really cannot stretch the sleeve. The tissue on that part of the stomach is not stretchy.

I can hold 6 oz of yogurt easily. I can do less than that with denser Protein (3 to 4 oz.) The mayo must have made it slide through easy. Try cutting it out and just eat the tuna and see what happens.

It may be that you have a long thin sleeve. As long as you are losing and getting in the Protein, it shouldn't matter.

You seem to be losing just fine. 44 pounds at less than 2 months is GREAT!

All that loss was on the front end. scale quit moving weeks ago. Very frustrating. I was worried that my increased capacity has stopped me from losing. I do go to the gym regularly though.

My PA saw me at my last visit and told me that the capacity of my sleeve is anywhere from 8-12oz, but he did also say that doesn't meant I'll be able to ear that much since its not taking into consideration the lining if the stomach which is apparently quite thick. He said the most I'll probably ever be able to eat is about 9oz comfortably and that it will take some time to get there. I was also told to measure, not weigh, my food.

What I'm getting at is that there really isn't one single standard and were all different. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

So, like....use a measuring cup to get "4 oz." instead of weighing 4 oz.? I can see how that would make a difference. 4 oz of feathers will fill a bag, whereas 4 oz of concrete will fit on your thumb. (not that I'd eat feathers or concrete ;) )

Keep doing what your doing Dooter. Eat Protein first no matter how much it is, it's SO MUCH better than eating junk crap (doesn't deserve to be called food), fatty shakes, etc. Okay some crackers is ok, better than a whole bag of chips. Keep working out, your body is just adapting. I spoke with my doctor last Friday for my 2 month appt and they want me to eat a cup and a half of listed foods and I know I cannot do that. At max I can currently eat 4-6 ounces and they're saying that I need to slowly uptake food to keep calories up.

My scale was stuck for two weeks and I took a break from the scale for 2 weeks and today I found out I lost 6 pounds!!

Take your Protein first.

Work out.

64 oz of Fluid

Breathe and know everyday, your life is changing. You got this!! :)

Dooters,

I am right there with you. I was sleeved Feb4th. I have wondered the same thing for I feel I can consume a lot more than others. Actually I have noticed that when I do not add the things like mayo and such I can not eat as much. I lost a lot of mine in the beginning also but we are still losing. ( I update my ticker in a few days, monthly). It will not happen overnight. I am so glad you posted this for now I do not feel so all alone. See... we all just might not be in the same boat after all but the wake of the same ocean. Continue to do what you are doing. Your sleeve is fine and so is mine. Keep working it!!!!!!

they want me to eat a cup and a half of listed foods and I know I cannot do that. At max I can currently eat 4-6 ounces and they're saying that I need to slowly uptake food to keep calories up.

Breathe and know everyday, your life is changing. You got this!! :)

My NUT told me to fill a 1/3 measuring cup - thats all i get to eat each meal :( Egads, i asked her when will that increase, she said "when you get to goal". In all honesty i add a "little" more to the 1/3 cup sometimes, not much though.

I wish i was allowed to officially eat a cup and a halp, oh well...maybe in another life time...

I always have Soup during the day, and a popsicle for desert. I do have trouble getting my 64 oz of liquid in.

kathy

I understand all your feelings. You're frustrated you're not losing and scared you did something wrong to your sleeve that is/will hinder your success. First of all you are being successful so you have been working your sleeve properly. Secondly, I'm only 8 days days out so I'm not nearly as far but I can already tell how different my sleeve works depending on what I'm drinking. I'm still so thirsty and can't get enough to drink. Sometimes I'll burp after 1 or 2 oz of gatorade. Other times I can get down 3 or 4 oz in 15 minutes. I'm really working on listening to and feeling my body. You said you were hungry so your sleeve probably wanted what u gave it. Besides this meal was still smaller than anything pre-sleeve, trust in yourself, you have already been successful.

Hey I can relate. I can eat a full chicken breast about 3 oz and some veggies with absolutely no problem. I am 2 months out as well. I feel I can eat more than I should but that is what it takes to fill me up. Hopefully we are ok and on our way to weight loss. I have no idea and like you, I'm a little scared.

I am also 8 weeks out ( in 3 days) and I can eat about the same amount...sometimes. It just depends. I was at my 2 month appt today and they said I am doing great , even with the foods and amounts. I have been using my fitness pal and being honest and I showed her. Last night I had probably 1/2 lb of diablo shrimp ( shrimp only) and I ate it over 1 1/2 hours and she said that is fine. If it is chicken, I can only eat a small amount at a time. The denser it is the less I can eat.

My doctor told me the best way to measure solid foods is using a food scale as measuring cups are best for liquids and powders. Since an ounce is a unit of mass, I prefer grams which is a unit of weight (the metirc system is so much better). One ounce measured of a powder or liquid is roughly 28 grams, but that does not equate with some denser meats like chicken or pork. Eh, but I think they're all pretty close. Yes, I am experiencing this as well - I can take in 4-5oz of food and be fine where I used to not be able to more than 2oz. Sushi is a prime example: 2-3 pieces of sashimi, some miso Soup, and I was done. Now I can do 4-5 pieces (but I stop myself at 3.5-4), plus veggie and maybe one piece of a roll (I scrape off the rice). It's too soon for the stomach to have stretched, that takes years. But it will stretch, there are pictures from GI series that show it does happen. For two months out, my doctor said it's mostly the swelling that is gone now so the "real" stomach we're going to live with for the next few years is finally making an appearance. All the more reason to practice good habits, food journaling, and measuring!!

I hear conflicting stories about the sleeve stretching. One Dr said that the sleeve is the thickest part of the stomach and does not stretch very well. Then i hear ppl say that it does stretch. I know that once the swelling goes down there is more room but i cant see it stretching out too much. I dont believe sleevers can gain all their weight back, can they??

I hear conflicting stories about the sleeve stretching. One Dr said that the sleeve is the thickest part of the stomach and does not stretch very well. Then i hear ppl say that it does stretch. I know that once the swelling goes down there is more room but i cant see it stretching out too much. I dont believe sleevers can gain all their weight back, can they??

We can if we eat junk and slider foods. Drink milkshakes all day long and you will gain plenty. That's why dense, high quality lean Protein is the best for us.

OK. Cool. Thanks all. I just wanted to make sure I'm in the "normal" range. Whatever THAT is!! :lol: