Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Johns Hopkins Bariatric Center

Hi!

My PCP suggested VSG because i'm 344 pounds and just developed type 2 diabetes. I live in Maryland very close to Johns Hopkins and my insurance covers 100% the procedure.

Any feedback from those who has been sleeve there?

Thanks!

Kadive

I went to Johns Hopkins great care.......met with Dr Steele but decided to go with Dr Nguyen. Margaret Fertado is the nut I see there and LOVE LOVE LOVE. Dr Nguyen has a great bed side manner and honestly helped me through the beginning of the surgery by calming me and rubbing my arm (I started to freak when they put the oxygen mask over my mouth). The nurses at the Bariatric Unit was a little to be desired but hey....my main concern was getting through this with 100% confidence. I live in Southern Maryland and met with 3 doctors a couple in Va and then Dr Steele then Dr Nguyen. I am 5 weeks and feel pretty good and I know if I do have problem I can reach somone ASAP.

you are truly luck to have Inrs. to cover 100% take advantage of that....

I had mine done in Mexico Self Pay $9000 and would do it over again and again and again!

Hi,

I'm a patient at Hopkins as well. Dr.Schweitzer will be my surgeon my paperwork was just submitted to Aetna last Thursday so I am anxiously awaiting approval and hoping for a date in May for my sleeve:) I actually completed all the requirements this time last year but changed employers and my insurance didn't cover bariatric surgery. I was praying I didn't have to start all over and luckily I only had to have a refresher with the nutrionist and psych which were scheduled on 3/21 & 3/29. I'm so nervous but very ready for this!!

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. I still waiting for them to call me for the initial appt. What are the steps they require prior to surgery?

Thanks!

Jessie

i'm so sorry for the late response..still learning how to navigate this site lol. The steps actually depend on your insurance requirements. I have Aetna and they have two programs depending on where you are having your surgery. If you go to a center of excellence then you only have to do 3 months of nutrition classes, 1 individual appt with the nut, and the psych eval. The 6 month program requires 6 months of nutrition classes and the nut/psych appointments. Be sure to check with your insurance they may offer the same options. I just got my approval last week and i'm waiting for Dr. Schweiter's office to call me with my date.

I am at the beginning of my journey and I too and at Hopkins with Dr. Schweitzer, I would like to know how long before you got your initial appointment and how do you feel now after surgery do you still refer ppl to Dr. Schweitzer or Dr. Nguyen is their bedside manner pleasant and what about their staff. Have you had any complications?