Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Via WEB MD...

Gallstones commonly occur with rapid weight loss. Up to 50% of people will develop gallstones after gastric bypass surgery and these are usually harmless. However, gallstones can cause nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain, requiring surgery. About 15% to 25% people require gallbladder removal after gastric bypass surgery.

Okay, so I will just have my surgery and see what happens!

Afro_Cyster it is my belief that God gave us our bodies as vessels. We are the keepers of them however, and it is our duty to do whatever is necessary to keep them healthy.

I had Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy to remove most of my stomach because I had to try to save my life. God supplied the means to have it done, all I needed to do was accept it and go forth by my Faith that God will see me through. His Promise to always provide is still True today.

Please understand that not having your gallbladder removed can be as serious as being fatal. Do what you have to, to save your life. You have the means. I'm praying for you, both that God will see you through this, as well as doing what you have to, to maintain a healthy body.

Thank you all for your honest opinions.

I have okay/decent insurance, when I was hospitalized for the gallbladder attacks (3 days in hospital) total costs were north of $25,000 ($#%&!!) but my out of pocket costs (still receiving bills 4 months later ...) has been a couple hundred dollars. So, does anyone know how much the GB removal will be?

Also, can I look forward to some immediate weight loss as a result? =P

I had my VSG surgery on October 6, 2011. Before Christmas I started having these weird pains that would start in my sternum and wrap around to between my shoulder blades. I seriously thought I was dying. I had two in December, 2 in January, a VERY bad one in February that drove me to vomiting and pretty much passing out in pain. Most of these only last about 20 minutes to an hour, so by the time I was ready to head to the ER, they were going away. I saw my doctor after that last one though. He told me what I was experiencing were gallbladder attacks. He said it was because of the drastic weight loss. Now my VSG surgeon had checked my gallbladder and said it looked good and was healthy! I was so frustrated to hear that I was now having problems with this. My doctor said that if I could handle the pain with the attacks and that if they weren't severe, I should probably wait to have it removed since I'd had VSG less than 5 months before.

Well, Thursday March 29th, I had an attack that last nearly 16 hours and I ended up in the ER because I was out of my mind in pain. They found I had a stone lodged in the bile duct and it was causing problems with my liver and pancreas. I had emergency surgery to have the gallbladder removed and they swept the duct to get that stone out too. They were able to do this laproscopicly. Ends up I was filled with gallstones and several were marble size! I'm about 10 days out now and feel soooo much better!

Please don't mess around with the gallstones. They can cause so much trouble with other organs that you DO need to survive!

So you guys put fear in me and I completed the surgery yesterday. It was a breeze. My doctor was Joshua Goldberg at Ochsner main campus in New Orleans. I chose him due to his bedside manner, online patient recommendations, wonderful nursing staff, returned calls, and the cuteness factor.

My surgery was a breeze. Since they knew I got nauseas due to anestesia, they gave me Zofran before the surgery and after I woke up so it was no issue at all. Also, when I woke up, I was shivering uncontrollable so the nurse warmed three blankets and wrapped it around my head, body, and tucked it around my feet (talking about going above and beyond). I was soooo ultra comfortable. The only hiccup was post-op, two nurses and an anesthesiologist couldn't find a suitable vein for my IV -- I got stuck five times. Luckily, before they stick you they give you a shot so you don't feel the large needle they insert. After they obtained the assistance from an OR doctor, we were good to go and they wheeled me out.

They allowed me to rest without interruption. And although they were ready to have me released, I requested another IV because I knew I would be dehydrated when I left the hospital due to my tummy and them having me fast the night before AND IV's make our skin look beautiful. So, they gave me my next set of pain pills and allowed me to rest again until I woke up. After that I was on my way home without issue.

I think that either I choose excellent doctors or my body responds well to surgery, but I swear it doesn't feel like anything happened to me at all. My team has a softball tourney Saturday that I'll miss due to recovery, but the way I'm feeling, I could play. Nooooo....I won't because ya'll won't let me, but I feel like nothing's stopping me.

I would like to thank all of you (including those who stalked this page and PMed me) for your honesty and concern. I am still upset that an organ was removed, but with the rate of my recovery, I'll assume it was for the best and move on with my life.

Thank you,

Afro_Cyster

Relieved that you are well.

Let us know if you feel your weight loss if affected in any way, positively or negatively.

I don't remember when you said your surgery is, so this may be too late- but I wouldn't personally recommend having your gall bladder out. Yes, your odds are higher as some have listed some stats that we may experience issues due to rapid weight loss. But, most surgeons have you start on a medication that helps your gall bladder while you are going through your weight loss to "safe guard it". It's not a guarantee, but when I read up on it, the results looked pretty good. I can't remember right now what it was called. I chose not to take it mostly because I have serious issues with taking pills and since I already had a WLS 14 yrs ago and had no issues, I guess I took the approach that I will risk it again.

This is a personal decision of course, but not everyone has issues with their gall bladders. One thing I'm not sure of, and perhaps others who have had their gall bladders out can comment on is that even though it is a "non-essential" organ that it can lead to having gassy stools, and flatulence tends to be much more potent. When I was researching the different surgeries last year and read a lot about the DS (Duodonel Switch) surgery, it seemed that this came up a bunch and people said it was related to having their gall bladders out which is typically standard procedure w/that WLS. I don't know this to be fact, but that's what I recall from all my reading. Others who have had their gall bladder out, please correct me if I am mis-informed.

okay, now i have to research stats on gallbladder removal! thanks Wheetsin for giving me something to start on. The problem is I do not have medical insurance and now I am wondering if I should just get it taken out while I have my WLS!

Girl, I almost jumped through my MAC when I saw the softball comment~!!!

I'm glad you're doing well.. TAKE IT EASY!!!... I know where you live.. well, I at least know what state you live in!!! LOL

A_C - I'm SO GLAD you had the surgery!!! Rest and get well soon! I'm with favored too... don't even THINK about playing softball silly!! LOL :)

One last thing, in agreeing with former, this type of surgery should IMO only be performed when necessary. Not everyone will need to have the gallbladder removed. I still have mine *knock on wood*, and I've had TWO WLS... so it's just not always needed.

Hugs to all.

I had my gallbladder removed in February (I'm pre-VSG). My surgeon said it is the second most common surgery performed in the US. While I do think that doctors are quick to cut when dealing with the gallbladder, I also know that once you starting having problems, it's just a matter of time before you either have an attack serious enough to go to the ER or wind up with an infection because of a lodged stone.

A_C, I'm glad you had the surgery and are recovering so quickly. If you're like me, you won't experience some of the side effects others have after surgery. Good luck on your next softball game!