Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Week 7! Very Slow Loser

I was wondering of any of you have hypothyroidism and how you think that may be contributing to you slower loss?

It's all a game of mathematics, really. Relative proportions. The more body weight you have to lose, the more quickly it will come off. (That's not a guarantee, by any means.)

Your body has what's called a basal metabolic rate (BMR). BMR is the number of calories you need to do nothing other than live. I'm 5'10, so if my BMI were 35 I'd weight about 245, and my BMR would be about 1880. In reality with my weight my BMR is about 2315. That means I automatically have to eat about 435 calories more than you just to keep myself out of the deficit zone.

There are some other ways to look at it too. I.e. 5% of your EWL may be about 5 lbs, while 5% of my EWL might be about 12 lbs. So even if we both lose 5% right away, you've still lost fewer pounds than me. (I don't mean that in competition, just in terms of the relativity).

Or think of an onion. You peel off the first layer, there's not much difference in the overall size of the onion. Peel off another layer, and there's some difference but not a bunch. But eventually you get to the point where each layer makes a huge difference, even though the layers are about the same thickness. It's all about percentages and relativity.

(Like how as a kid your birthday takes FOREVER, and nowadays they seem to come up every time you turn around!)

HTH :)

To sleeved--- I didn't know anything about the connection of bmi to weight loss? Mine was 35 at time of surgery. Idk if it's changed but you've given me something to look up now! Thanks

I'm right there with you ladies. All we can do is keep plugging away and know that every pound that we DO lose, is gone forever. Let's just keep supporting each other and venting to each other when we need to!

DD

I'm right there with you ladies. All we can do is keep plugging away and know that every pound that we DO lose, is gone forever. Let's just keep supporting each other and venting to each other when we need to!

DD

I was a band to sleeve. I started at a 30 BMi with the sleeve. I too am losing so slow. Maybe 10 lbs in 20 days. The scale has not moved in over a week. I just pray that it starts back up. Maybe when I can eat more it will jump start. I maybe get 400 calories a day now. Been very hard for me

Don't feel discouraged, you will lose the weight as time goes on! Remember your body is going through some changes and everyone's body is different! Just be patient and don't give up! Remember every sacrifice has its reward!!

Im also a lower BMI 36.7 and my surgery was on Jan,10. I started out at 209 and Im down 36lbs so far Ive had two stalls the first one lasted 18 days with nothing lost.Im on the second stall now for over a week.But the good side of things are the measurmants even when that scale doesn't move your losing the inches!!!! Ive lost over 20 1/2 inches total.So Im HAPPY !!!!!! We have to remember we all lose at differant rates.Hang in there ladies we will get there.!!!!!!

I think slow weight loss is better especially if you do not want to tell others rather than your family that you had surgery. I think there will be more of a chance to keep it off too. Yes, slow weight loss bites, but imagine where you would be if you had not done the surgery. You would have gained all the weight back and then some! You're not alone and my nutritionist said not to be surprised if your weight loss follows a down, down, constant, down, constant pattern. It is very common. At least it never goes up which is new to me.....lol!

I only weigh myself at my post op appointments.

I think slow weight loss is better especially if you do not want to tell others rather than your family that you had surgery. I think there will be more of a chance to keep it off too. Yes, slow weight loss bites, but imagine where you would be if you had not done the surgery. You would have gained all the weight back and then some! You're not alone and my nutritionist said not to be surprised if your weight loss follows a down, down, constant, down, constant pattern. It is very common. At least it never goes up which is new to me.....lol!

I only weigh myself at my post op appointments.

I wanted to check on everyone and see how the rest of us slow losers are doing??? I am stuck, again, at around 195lbs... this is going to drive me BANANAS!!!

Is there anyone in the Spring/The Woodlands area that wants a walking/workout buddy? :)

I'm looking to be a slow loser too.... 13 lbs in 3 weeks.... and I've been totally stalled for two of the three. The doctor said to up my calories. I've been struggling to get in even 700, but I'm going to try to push it out to 900 or so and see if it helps. Are you guys staying super low? That maybe the issue. I'm hoping so... If there isno reason for this I'm going to go nuts!

I will honestly say that up until today (downloading MyFitnessPal on my phone now!), I havent been really tracking my calories, Protein, Water, or anything and that is most likely my problem too. I guesstimate that I am getting about 600-800 calories a day, 40-60 oz of water, and I drink 2 Premier shakes (30g of protein each) a day. I am not exercising as I should be and I know for a fact that makes a difference. I walk the dogs for 20 minutes every couple of days and work in the yard on weekends. Somewhere, I have to find the inner strength to walk into a gym, alone, and start working out!