Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This must seem like a strange question. When I told my md. that I put half a banana in my Gladiator (40 gr) Protein Shake, she suggested that bananas were not a good choice and said I should use less than a banana. I don't know why, but I never think to question my md. (I tend to think she is a bit nutty!). But then I leave and I wonder why did she say that? I didn't think bananas were a bad fruit and I am not getting any other fruit in my diet, other than this half banana per day. I know they can cause Constipation and goodness knows I have been a victim of this, and they do have a higher sugar content but they also have some good factors.

Has anyone else been told that bananas are not a good choice.

Incidentally, my sometimes strange advice from my doctor, has not only been given to me. I am in touch with another two women who had surgery at the same time as I did and are this gp's patients. We, bariatric patients from the small country where I live, must ALL see her as the referring physician before going off island for our surgery. I guess I challenge advice and need to hear from others before I believe what I am told. Otherwise, I suppose I could ask her for an explanatin and then I might understand her way of thinking.

Just another thing I find odd. Please let me know what you think! Are bananas bad. I always feel I should add the date of my surgery in case the informatin I receive is dependent on how far along post op I am. It is 8 weeks now.

I put half a banana in my Protein Shakes too. Yes, they have carbs but it's good carbs and a great source of potassium. My NUT wants us to stay under 100 carbs a day. So I just count my banana in there. I am curious what other people say about bananas though...

No fruit is inherently "bad." It's fruit. It's perfect food. Here's the big "BUT"- (don't we all have a big but?? hahaha) Some fruits have more sugars or starches than others and bananas are one of them. It depends on your goals for your diet. Some people count mostly carbs and would want to stay away from bananas. Some people are more concerned with fat, in which case, bananas are fat free. Some count calories, and some count all three! Look up the nutritional values for bananas and see how much of one fits in with what you are trying to do. I know that's not a clear answer, but I don't know what you're counting.

Side note about bananas: If there is even a tiny bit of green on the stem, then the banana is still pure starch. It's like eating a potato. When it's all yellow then it's turned to fruit sugars. Just FYI.

I hope any of this helps. :)

I was told no bananas for the first 2 -3 months because it is clumpy and can get stuck or feel heavy/uncomfortable when we eat it. They did say I could freeze them and then blend them to get an ok consistency if I REALLY was craving them.

No fruit is inherently "bad." It's fruit. It's perfect food. Here's the big "BUT"- (don't we all have a big but?? hahaha) Some fruits have more sugars or starches than others and bananas are one of them. It depends on your goals for your diet. Some people count mostly carbs and would want to stay away from bananas. Some people are more concerned with fat, in which case, bananas are fat free. Some count calories, and some count all three! Look up the nutritional values for bananas and see how much of one fits in with what you are trying to do. I know that's not a clear answer, but I don't know what you're counting.

Side note about bananas: If there is even a tiny bit of green on the stem, then the banana is still pure starch. It's like eating a potato. When it's all yellow then it's turned to fruit sugars. Just FYI.

I hope any of this helps. :)

Well now, this brings up a new topic. I have not been counting anything. I have just been trying to eat nearly only Proteins other than the occasional banana or sometimes a few strawberries in my Protein shakes. I suppose I must get in the odd carb and clearly am getting calories. I figured since I am eating so little that I didn't need to count anything. It seems to make it all more stressfu. I am shocked and impressed by your weight loss. I have lost 40 lbs in 9 weeks but you have done so much better. I confess to not yet doing one lick of exercise. Do you think this accounts for the difference. I can't really imagine that I could eat much less than I already do. I am always curious about this process and wonder what gives one person more success over another. I guess I know that there are so many variables. I worry all the time and this is why counting anything would just add to my worrying. I worry that I don't drink enough, because I know for certain that I don't. I worry that I don't get enough Protein because I know I don't. I worry that I haven't pushed myself enough to exercise and I worry about the possibility of failure at some point. (this latest concern brought on by rather unsupportive family members). So congrats to you on such a big weight loss. You are definitely doing something right!

Good timing on this topic - I have my 3 mo post op appt today so I'm going to ask about this. I also put a 1/2 banana in my Protein Shake every day because it just makes it taste that much better and it's pretty much the only fruit I eat. I do use myfitnesspal everyday to track calories, Protein and carbs and I was a bit surprised to learn that 1/2 banana has 16 carbs. That seems kind of high but I don't worry too much about it since I'm usually under 70 carbs/day and I'm still losing at a good rate. Maybe when my weight loss starts to slow down or stall I'll think about not using them in my shakes to see if it makes a difference or not.

Like already mentioned, bananas contain a huge amount of carbs for the serving size. I think early out, when your activity level is still a little low, they should be avoided as Proteins should be the first priority.

For myself, I run 20-30 miles a week and do other exercise activities. Bananas are a staple part of how I get my carbs in to maintain this level of activity. So, I think it depends on your activity level.

Like already mentioned, bananas contain a huge amount of carbs for the serving size. I think early out, when your activity level is still a little low, they should be avoided as Proteins should be the first priority.

For myself, I run 20-30 miles a week and do other exercise activities. Bananas are a staple part of how I get my carbs in to maintain this level of activity. So, I think it depends on your activity level.

I could not agree more with you Pdxman,they are a great snack pre runs

I ser no harm in the occasional banana. Check the glycemic index on fruits and such. Try to stick to ones that are low on that index, and you're golden! Strawberries, btw, are a great option instead, low on glycemic index, and full of Vitamin C

When I mentioned to the nutritionist that I sometimes throw a bit of fruit into my Protein shake she said that I shouldn't be putting anything thing in there. Hell, half their bypass patients make them with Water. No wonder people complain about the Protein shakes. I've made mine with 2% milk and fruit from the get go. I used Jello pudding powder and Torani syrups too.

I wouldn't be sticking a whole banana in there though. 1/2 or even 1/4 will flavor it just fine.

My post op diet specifically lists a ripe banana as OK in the mushy food stage. I haven't tried it yet, but it certainly does seem that every Dr has very different guidelines after surgery.

My nut is all for bananas!! She says we aren't likely getting much potassium & that they are a great way to improve Protein Drink taste. I use some banana, some frozen berries & some sf banana creme pudding mix w/ my vanilla Protein shakes....it's the only way it tastes ok IMO. *shrug* The diet recommendations are all soooo different......weird!

Well now, this brings up a new topic. I have not been counting anything. I have just been trying to eat nearly only Proteins other than the occasional banana or sometimes a few strawberries in my Protein shakes. I suppose I must get in the odd carb and clearly am getting calories. I figured since I am eating so little that I didn't need to count anything. It seems to make it all more stressfu. I am shocked and impressed by your weight loss. I have lost 40 lbs in 9 weeks but you have done so much better. I confess to not yet doing one lick of exercise. Do you think this accounts for the difference. I can't really imagine that I could eat much less than I already do. I am always curious about this process and wonder what gives one person more success over another. I guess I know that there are so many variables. I worry all the time and this is why counting anything would just add to my worrying. I worry that I don't drink enough, because I know for certain that I don't. I worry that I don't get enough Protein because I know I don't. I worry that I haven't pushed myself enough to exercise and I worry about the possibility of failure at some point. (this latest concern brought on by rather unsupportive family members). So congrats to you on such a big weight loss. You are definitely doing something right!

Oh, honey, don't compare yourself to anyone else. I lost all that right at the beginning, and I've been stalled ever since, but I started out at a very high BMI (55), so I am supposed to lose more at first kind of quickly. (Statistically speaking.) I have also been going to the gym regularly since long before the surgery, and am trying to be even better about it.

I think you are doing just fine. Have your half of a banana, and if you are living a fairly normal life and still losing weight (even if it's not as quickly as you might expect), and not counting anything, then don't fix it. Of course, they do want us to at least do some walking every day if possible. Just start small. You keep it up!! Good job!!

When I mentioned to the nutritionist that I sometimes throw a bit of fruit into my Protein shake she said that I shouldn't be putting anything thing in there. Hell' date=' half their bypass patients make them with Water. No wonder people complain about the Protein shakes. [/quote']

I know! shakes with Water are disgusting. I always make mine with milk. You definitely need carbs post-workout, and the milk also adds extra protein.

I have been eating one small banana a day for the past week. I haven't been able to keep food down but for some reason I can tolerate a banana. I have lost 35 lbs. in five weeks so the banana must not be that bad. I'm just saying...