Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Had My Surgery But

I had my surgery but I wanted to know how often to do guys weight yourself. I think I will be discourage myself if I weight myself weekly I was thinking more like monthly. Let me know what you think weekly or monthly and why

I would give anything to make myself move away from the scale!! I'm soooo bad at this. I weigh every two or three days. But I was on a long stall this month and decided to weigh weekly. I'm afraid I cant keep away from the scale more than a week.

And the worst part is, I'm not satisfied with the scales at home. My 'correct' weight - atleast in my mind - is the one shown on the scales at my doc's hospital. I go there weekly now just to weigh myself. It is on the way to office, so no biggie. *shrug*

If you can weigh yourself monthly, you'll be MUCH happier, trust me. In the beginning, when the big changes occur, you'll be even happier because you'll see even more weight dropping.

And when you get further along on your weight loss journey, you'll also be happier because you won't drive yourself bonkers over normal little weight fluctuations.

That being said, most sleevers are glued to the scale at the beginning, with some even weighing themselves daily, and beating themselves up for "not losing a pound yesterday." That's just crazy, in my opinion.

I agree that IF you can go monthly, DO IT! The first couple months weighing in weekly might be nice as you typically see drops, but when you hit stalls or your weight loss slows down to 1, 2 lbs per week, its tough mentally. I think weighing in monthly would allow you to focus on the overall and you might not even realize you had a stall, if you did.

That being said, I am a once-a-week weigh-er lol. For a long time I weighed every day, but not on purpose. Before I moved I exercised or played with my sister on our wii fit, and that weighs you automatically (until I finally figured out how to skip it) and it drove me nuts! I actually would make my sister (she was 5...) push all the buttons etc until it was past that point, but that didn't work for long because she started to read so she'd just tell me what the number was lol. Anyways, weighing in every day drove me nuts. I wish I could go longer than once a week, but I'm hooked! I would have to throw the scale out and go somewhere to weigh in to break the habit now.

I started out daily but then I went to weekly and then to every 2 weeks and now maybe when I feel different. I think that the farther out you get the slower most of us lose. If you do not lose and are weighing almost daily I started to get down on myself that I was done losing or was doing something wrong. Everyone of us loses at a different weight so I would say put the scale in the closet and notice more then changes in your body.

On week I thought that I felt like I was gaining weight but when I got on the scale I had actually lost 3 pounds.

Beware as the scale......just like before you had this surgery........can be one of your worst ememies.

there are people that weigh each other daily or every few days - that could be dangerous with all the fluculations and stuff. I finally disciplined myself to get on the scale every monday after my shower. That way, i'm always wearing the same "outfit" :D

kathy

I may sound a little crazy, but I weigh at least 2-3 times a day. It helps me know my body better and then in turn I feel better about weight flucuation because I know why it's happening and I'm okay with that. My body isnt a cash register and I've learned that it will naturally fluctuate, even in 24 hours. Once you learn what your body is going through and familiarize yourself with it, then it's not so bad. I actually think that weighing myself this much has helped me and I'm not at all scared of the scale anymore. As the weight begins to drop, and believe me, it will - you wont be affaid of it either and the scale will be your BFF again :D I think it is also helping me with maintenance because, i think we all know when we havent been on our best behavior and who better to put that in our face, than the scale :unsure: It keeps me in check and has helped me get back on track. If we arent monitoring then how will we know. :) That's just my opinion.. but it's worked for me :rolleyes:

I may sound a little crazy, but I weigh at least 2-3 times a day. It helps me know my body better and then in turn I feel better about weight flucuation because I know why it's happening and I'm okay with that. My body isnt a cash register and I've learned that it will naturally fluctuate, even in 24 hours. Once you learn what your body is going through and familiarize yourself with it, then it's not so bad. I actually think that weighing myself this much has helped me and I'm not at all scared of the scale anymore. As the weight begins to drop, and believe me, it will - you wont be affaid of it either and the scale will be your BFF again :D I think it is also helping me with maintenance because, i think we all know when we havent been on our best behavior and who better to put that in our face, than the scale :unsure: It keeps me in check and has helped me get back on track. If we arent monitoring then how will we know. :) That's just my opinion.. but it's worked for me :rolleyes:

Well, you're right -- it's not weighing yourself that's the problem. You could weigh yourself every five minutes and it's not like it would be bad.

It's just that most of us obsess over the number on the scale. Towards the end of your weight loss journey (when your BMI starts to get closer to that magical "normal" figure), your week-by-week (and sometimes even month-by-month) weight loss can and will sometimes be eaten up by an hour-by-hour fluctuation due to Water weight, going (or not going) to the bathroom, what you just ate, and so on. As a result, the actual number on the scale becomes almost meaningless from the perspective of tracking your overall fitness. That being said, if you can avoid the trap of obsessing over the actual number, and learn to use some science and math to plot the trend over time (so that you can see the overall downwards trend, despite all the bumps along the way), you can still do just fine weighing yourself weekly. I wouldn't really advise anyone weighing more than weekly since the information becomes pretty useless for us.

Most people just don't have the self-discipline to not freak out over a slight blip on the scale, which is why I think weighing yourself monthly is about perfect. That's a long enough time to "average out" some of the bumps in the road, and short enough that you're not letting a bad trend get too out of control.

I weigh myself daily. Always when I first wake up, after I've used the bathroom, and always in my birthday suit. I don't beat myself up over small fluctuations in my weight each day. I've actually found it very interesting because I've learned what my patterns are for my monthly cycle with regards to Water weight gain and loss and how my hormones affect this. I've been able to track when in any given month I'm going to stall and what week I typically lose. It's helped me to understand my stalls because now I know the pattern. I'm sure I won't be a daily weigh-er the rest of my life but I will probably weigh weekly and then monthly as I figure out my maintenance phase as my 1 year mark gets closer. I DO NOT recommend weighing daily for those that are going to let the number effect them emotionally. If the number is going to negatively impact your day, then don't do it.

I weigh myself daily. Always when I first wake up, after I've used the bathroom, and always in my birthday suit. I don't beat myself up over small fluctuations in my weight each day. I've actually found it very interesting because I've learned what my patterns are for my monthly cycle with regards to Water weight gain and loss and how my hormones affect this. I've been able to track when in any given month I'm going to stall and what week I typically lose. It's helped me to understand my stalls because now I know the pattern. I'm sure I won't be a daily weigh-er the rest of my life but I will probably weigh weekly and then monthly as I figure out my maintenance phase as my 1 year mark gets closer. I DO NOT recommend weighing daily for those that are going to let the number effect them emotionally. If the number is going to negatively impact your day, then don't do it.

Errr... your current BMI is 22.5, and you don't consider yourself in "maintenance" yet? 25 is considered the cutoff for "normal" BMI, and IIRC, under 20 is considered "underweight" for women (I'm going by memory, so I may be off on the underweight bit).

It's your business, not mine, but I'm always sort of startled to see people in the normal, healthy weight and BMI range still considering themselves overweight! Many of us had BMI's of 40, 50, or more, so considering 22.5 "overweight" in any meaningful sense is baffling to me.

But -- your body, your choices, so I'll shut up at that :)

When I first was sleeved I weighted everyday until my doctor visit, that's when they recommended that I weight weekly. Now I weight and measure every Tuesday and find that it works the best for me. I like seeing the changes in my body. Measuring lets me see changes that the weighting doesn't.

If you can go a month and not weight that is awesome, for me I need the conformation weekly.

Best wishes on your weight loss journey. :D

Errr... your current BMI is 22.5, and you don't consider yourself in "maintenance" yet? 25 is considered the cutoff for "normal" BMI, and IIRC, under 20 is considered "underweight" for women (I'm going by memory, so I may be off on the underweight bit).

It's your business, not mine, but I'm always sort of startled to see people in the normal, healthy weight and BMI range still considering themselves overweight! Many of us had BMI's of 40, 50, or more, so considering 22.5 "overweight" in any meaningful sense is baffling to me.

But -- your body, your choices, so I'll shut up at that :)

When did I say I consider myself "overweight"? The BMI range is 18.5-25 for normal. I'm 2 pounds from my final goal which places me just above the mid-point of the normal mark for BMI. I studied ballet for many years and have a small frame. I think I'd like to have a few pounds of leeway in my maintenance phase so I'll probably try to maintain a weight of 135-140. For my height, this does not place me anywhere near the underweight category. I'd have to be under 117 before I'd reach that BMI category. Does everyone need to get to the top end of normal for an arbitrary BMI chart and then stop there?

I thought this was a thread about how often people step on the scale?

I weigh once a day. My weight only fluctuates during TOM so I don't bother weighing until that ends.

I like to keep myself on track. I don't obsess. It's merely a daily habit.

When did I say I consider myself "overweight"? The BMI range is 18.5-25 for normal. I'm 2 pounds from my final goal which places me just above the mid-point of the normal mark for BMI. I studied ballet for many years and have a small frame. I think I'd like to have a few pounds of leeway in my maintenance phase so I'll probably try to maintain a weight of 135-140. For my height, this does not place me anywhere near the underweight category. I'd have to be under 117 before I'd reach that BMI category. Does everyone need to get to the top end of normal for an arbitrary BMI chart and then stop there?

I thought this was a thread about how often people step on the scale?

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend. You didn't say that you considered yourself overweight; I just assumed it when you said that you weren't in "maintenance" yet -- my assumption was most people who aren't in "maintenance" think they're overweight (why would anyone want to lose weight if they don't at least think they're overweight?). Obviously I was mistaken! Again, sorry for any offense, it's none of my business.