Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Anyone Who Wants To Know How Fast The Loss/changes Happen....

I researched the sleeve extensively before I had my surgery and also followed many of the experiences on the boards/YouTube. I was interested in how quickly the weight actually comes off and how soon changes in measurements happen after surgery. Well I now have my firsthand answer to those questions - at least for the beginning of the journey :)

I am 5'10". My highest weight was 287 - I lost a few pounds before my preop liquid diet and then lost 11 lbs. on my one-week liquid diet. I lost 14 lbs. the first week after surgery. My total loss from my highest weight is now 32 lbs.

I got curious about my measurements this morning and decided to just see how much they had changed in 32 lbs. In basically 2 1/2 weeks (I took measurements the day before my liquid diet started) I have lost 22 1/4 inches. That includes 3 inches off my waist, 3 inches off my hips and 2 inches off each thigh.

I haven't gone down a full size in my clothes yet but the size I started in (20, with a couple of 22's) is getting very loose and everything feels different. The best part is that these 32 lbs. (which btw is just 2 lbs. shy of my tall 3 year old!) will never be on my body to carry around and despise ever again and this is just the very beginning of all the lbs to be lost.

I LOVE MY SLEEVE!!!!!

Isn't it awesome??? :D Even for slow losers it eventually gets to that point where you're like "wow, this is actually working!". At 6 months out I have seen people for the first time in years and they don't recognize me... THAT is an awesome feeling!

I loved your comment about your weight loss compared to your child. I always compared mine to my little sister (she is 6)... and I remember when I lost my first 42 thinking that I just lost a whole person.. now I've lost 2 people and a bit lol! I love my sleeve as well!

Congrats on how well you are doing :)

Emily, 105 lbs!?!?!?! Amazing! Congrats to YOU TOO! Its funny to me because I don't really "feel" lighter yet but when I think of it in terms of my daughter's entire body weight, it reminds me that big changes are happening!

It's a little hard to wrap my mind around the fact that I am now on the other side of surgery because I spent so long planning to lose weight and never getting anywhere. Now I am ACTUALLY getting there!

Here's to our sleeves!

Yay, Jess!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Congrats!!

I needed to hear your what you said to keep my spirits up as I am at a stall. You inspired me!!! Congrats!

I am scheduled for surgery on 4/2 and after six months of planning I am suddenly freaking out and wondering if I have made the right choice. Reading your post has really given my the confidence to know that I have made the right decision. I am so happy for you that it is working so well. I hope to have a equally good posting in a couple of weeks. Keep up the good work and know that your words are very helpful to others.

Awesome!!!

You're making great progress! I was sleeved the day after you. After reading your post, I'm going to take some measurements tonight.

I love reading updates like this! (Being someone who has yet to be sleeved)! Congrats! Heck I love reading all updates, the good, pretty, bad and ugly! Gives me a perspective of what to expect..which expect the unexpected because no two surgeries (people or outcomes) are the same! lol..

MKF520: I think this is a common feeling people feel as the surgery date gets closer! It's scary lol.. and even some people feel like they made a mistake after the surgery because of how they feel for the first few hours to weeks. However, from all my reading, and watching, and talking to those whose had this surgery, only a few has ever regretted it. Those who started out thinking "what have I done to myself" always seem end up thinking.. "this was the best decision I've ever made! I have my life back".

I am scheduled for surgery on 4/2 and after six months of planning I am suddenly freaking out and wondering if I have made the right choice. Reading your post has really given my the confidence to know that I have made the right decision. I am so happy for you that it is working so well. I hope to have a equally good posting in a couple of weeks. Keep up the good work and know that your words are very helpful to others.

CONGRATS! This is a success! I didn't feel like I had really lost weight until the wind started blowing me around. Also I started doing weird things like walking like I was a little intoxicated because I hadn't adjusted to the new body weight or being at work and the pants I wore that fit in the am was so baggy they would almost fall off. I love these NSV's! There are a lot more to come for you guys! It's awesome. ;) Time to dance the happy dance! Where are my banana's?

You were smart to measure before the pre-surgery diet phase...something I was forgetting about for myself. Now that'll be on my "to do" list! So does 3 inches off your waist translate to one pant size down? I have jeans that run a spectrum of like 38-46! lol (I'll have to dust off most of them before trying them on)