Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovery Room Pain Level?

Everyone here has been Soooo incredibly helpful and informative in addressing my questions and concerns so I'll just bother you with one more...lol I've been watching Youtube videos and chatting with post op's to find out what to expect immediately after waking up in recovery and wondered about the pain levels you experienced just after waking up? I would love to hear the good and the bad to help prepare myself for what is possible. My surgery is April 12th :)

Ok please don't hate me and please know i would do it all again. But the pain when i woke up was excruciating Plus i had the gas they blow your tummy up with trapped under my ribs which was awful and caused chest pain. It is different for everyone it was huge for me. But i am 25kg down in week 3 so how can we complain about that. Good luck its totally worth it. Xxx

I personally didn't find the pain to be to terrible. I've had 3 sections and this has been much easier by far. For me the worst part of the recovery room was still feeling so heavy from the drugs. Good luck to you.

Your very lucky i wish. I have had 2 c sections and i would do that again over this but both changed my life for the better so its all worth it

Your very lucky i wish. I have had 2 c sections and i would do that again over this but both changed my life for the better so its all worth it

Thank you for your honesty, I think I will prepare for the worst and hope for the best...lol

I personally didn't find the pain to be to terrible. I've had 3 sections and this has been much easier by far. For me the worst part of the recovery room was still feeling so heavy from the drugs. Good luck to you.

It sounds like its just a crap shoot then. I hope I end up with tolerable pain like yours was. Thanks for sharing!

I don't think I'll mind the drugs...lol but the pain terrifies me. Thanks for sharing your insight.

Ok please don't hate me and please know i would do it all again. But the pain when i woke up was excruciating Plus i had the gas they blow your tummy up with trapped under my ribs which was awful and caused chest pain. It is different for everyone it was huge for me. But i am 25kg down in week 3 so how can we complain about that. Good luck its totally worth it. Xxx

Thank you for your honesty. I need to hear the good and the bad to help prepare myself. :)

I had no pain at all in the recovery room. I was so tired from the drugs that I could barely hold my eyes open until the next morning. I went home the next evening and only took my pain meds a couple of times. After day 3 I felt pretty good.

Honestly I don't remember much from the recovery room except that I was extremely dizzy. I also remember the anesthesiologist asking me to cough for him... and I didn't want to lol. I also remember that they brought my mom in for me (apparently I was asking for her :wub: ). Pain itself was not horrible for me. I had a pump that I could press whenever the light came on, and the light was always on when I wanted more. I found out afterwards that my dizziness was actually the pain meds (not the after effects of the anesthesia)... apparently I'm a "lightweight" (hehehe, yeah, me, a lightweight, teehee) when it comes to pain meds and I was bit stoned. When I asked my surgeon he was like "yeah, you were getting a bit too much even though I had you on the lowest dose" LOL.

The whole experience was beyond worth it for me. I would do it again in a heartbeat if I had to... which I won't :D

Good luck! And if you have anymore specific questions feel free to PM me :)

I was in horrible pain in the recovery room and for the entire first day. It's all a blur of sleeping, waking up, begging frantically for more Morphine, passing back out.... repeat. When I woke the next morning though I was fine and didn't need pain meds again at all. So it resolved pretty quickly. I also was in the hospital 3 days. That is standard for my surgeon.

I didn't experience any pain. Maybe a tad of discomfort but I had far more pain with the 2 c-sections I had. The worst part for me was feeling the need to burp constantly. My husband was a great help bc he kept patting my back to get the gas bubbles out. If you feel any pain, tell your nurses. They will address it right away.

I honestly do not remember very much from the recovery room. I remember waking up and seeing my Dad and Partner and then I feel right back to sleep. I then woke up and they were gone so I yelled at a nurse (I had no idea what I was doing hahaha), but fell right back to sleep. I felt NO PAIN in recovery. You are still hopped up on Morphine and everything else they have given you in surgery. I maybe remember 10 minutes total from the 4 hours I was in the recovery area. When you get to your room you will be more with it. The first night I was fine and the second day the pain set in from all the gas. It went into my shoulders and I could barely move. But by the next day I was ok to leave and all was well. Recovery at home was a bit of a challenge and at 17 days out I feel like myself and am back to work - Now if I could only get off the Clear Liquids I would be happy! Good luck and feel free to inbox me if you have anymore questions :)

Don't the surgeons remove the gas that they pump in? Wouldn't that make it less uncomfortable?

The surgeons remove what they can, but there's usually some left behind. Our body cavities have lots of nooks & crannies and it would be pretty darn hard to ensure a gas is out completely.

Here's my surgery history (for related/similar procedures), so you can have some context for the pain level. Keep in mind I have a high pain tolerance. Probably on the order of "very" high. And also keep in mind that with my sleeve, I was given morphine - which does not do much for me. The nurse decided morphine was better because it was putting me to sleep, but

I do tons better with Dilaudid.

Lap-band in: Pain upon wake-up was minimal. I rated it 0.5 in the 10 point scale.

Gallbladder out: Pain upon wake-up was about a 3. Incisions "stung" more than hurt. Probably comparable to a bee sting.

Lap-band out: Pain upon wake-up was about a 2 or 2.5.

Sleeve: Pain upon wake-up was about a 6.

The majority of my sleeve pain came from the "access" incision (the infamous "left side incision"), and the smaller incision holding the drain. I can remember laying there thinking "ow" and just trying to track the minutes for my next bolus. By the time I was moved into my recovery room the pain was probably around a 3.