Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holy Heart Burn!

I had my gastric sleeve on 3/21. I've done awesome on my liquid diet. I have lost 20 pounds in 7 days. Today I havent done anything different, but I have the worst case of heart burn ever. It is uncomfortable. Does anyone have any suggestions on what can help with that?? I'm not sure if I can take Pepcid or tums for it. *ouch*

You can take over the counter Omeoprazole (prilosec). My nurse said is what works the best!

I take Nexium... But had that before surgery for on going GERD. I was told I could continue Nexium or omperzaole for heartburn.

Wow I can relate I have never experienced heart burn before surgery Iam 2 weeks post op and have been getting horrible heart burn everytime I eat and drink and the dr prescribe nexium but it doesn't work for me at all!! I just hope this goes away =(

I had surgery 12/5. No heartburn until the last two weeks. Man oh man it wakes me up in the middle of the night. And I take 2 Pepcid everyday. I keep meaning to call the doctors office- but I've lost faith in them. Maybe just a call to my PCP is in order.

Thanks for the advice. Doc put me on axid. It isn't really helping though. I am having a hard time getting liquids and Proteins down :( I dunno what to do. I am trying the Pepcid. Does anyone else feel down and kind of depressed? I've caught myself thinking, "why did I do this to myself?"

chandi, lots of people go through the same thought process you're having right now. It's normal. I think it's the mind's way of accepting our new lifestyle. Take your Rx acid reducer and the pepcid. Some of them take a few days to kick in.

When I was pregnant (a lifetime ago), I had horrible heartburn that didn't respond to anything. I took a tiny bit of baking soda (arm and hammer like the box in your fridge) and mixed it with a couple of ounces of Water. Maybe 1/4 teaspoon to 2 ounces of Water, hold nose drink as quickly as you can manage. That will kill the heartburn temporarily. It's high sodium, so don't do it a lot, but my heartburn during pregnancy kept me from getting to sleep.

I'll add the disclaimer now, I'm not a doctor and I don't play one here. I'm just passing along something that worked for me in a pinch years ago. I haven't heard anything saying that a tiny bit of baking soda will hurt you or your sleeve.

I had to double my prevacid per my doc... I've done the baking soda a few times too.. I can't have any food within 2 hours of bed time either...

Hope you feel better...

Yes I can relate I always ask myself why did I have this surgery done not really because of the surgery pain but because of the crazy heartburn I get is horrible I can't eat or drink without getting horrible pain!! So yes iam very depressed=(

Thanks for the advice. I enjoy being able to talk to people and know that others are going through the same thing I am. My family and friends just don't understand. I am hoping the depression and fatigue goes away soon. I tried the pepcid with the axid and it worked. If its bad I did the baking soda..worked wonders :) thanks again! :)