Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am scheduled for surgery on 4/10. While I expected to feel super anxious (exacerbated by general anxiety disorder), I did not expect to feel depressed and hopeless. Physically, I'm not feeling well - which can be attributed to the liquid diet I started on Monday and though I realize that it's not rational, I'm afraid I'll never feel "normal" again. I'm in therapy, had a session today and my therapist said that I am "grieving" the loss of my (unhealthy) relationship with food.< /p>

Has anyone else experienced this pre surgery?

Yes I've thought about it here and there. It's crazy but I do feel a bit sad I won't be able to enjoy food like I use to. But I'm ready for a new healthy me see it that way for yourself too.

I seriously feel stress that I won't be able to gorge myself on my favorite foods any more!!! It's definitely a mental thing.

I felt like that too!!! I ate everything that came across me b4 surgery because I thought I was never going to be able to eat again! I was wrong, I'm a month out and I can eat a lot of things now! you'll be fine! I tried not to think about the surgery and just took it one day at a time!

I have been feeling really blue lately too. I am two days away from surgery now. It could be aggravated by my TOM, so I am hoping it will lessen soon. I haven't really contemplated the loss of eating as much as just being apprehensive about the surgery and recovery. I think it is like hiking up a mountain. You have to keep your focus on the ground right at your feet. If you look ahead too much, you will become overwhelmed and feel lost or hopeless. We can all do it!

It could be a mix of factors your anxiety, general nerves, and being on a liquid diet. Even after the surgery the thoughts of 'why can't i eat more?' 'why did i do this?' will creep up on you. Be prepared to be angry, sad, depressed, anxious, etc. even after the surgery. be open with someone so you don't feel so alone.

I felt this way when I hit my first stall, which was only 2 weeks out. First, I had a sort of post partum depression feeling because I was SO excited for the surgery: and now Im at at stall! My husband helped me through it. I talked, I cried, I swore I regretted it. Now Im almost 2 months out and this was the best decision I ever made. Trust me, I read posts like this and swore these people were crazy haha. Now I know I love not being a slave to constantly eating huge servings of everything. I liberated myself from food. You will be here soon and you will be SO glad you did this. Just remember--have someone to talk to!

Can't wait to see you on the losers side :)

I too am having my sleeve done on the 10th. My emotions are all over the map! Focus on the the end result. That is my focus. You are not alone!

I'm scheduled for the sleeve on April 10th. My bmi is only 28 but I'm approved in Mexico because I got the band there, which is not working n makes it very painful to eat. My fear is that because my BMI is so low that I will lose too much weight and become frail and sickly. Is there anyone out there whose BMI was similar to mine they can give me your results and how you doing? I too often have a feeling of sadness over not being able to eat like a horse. As I am an emotional eater and food makes me feel better.

Are any of you doing your surgeries in Mexico with Dr. Ortiz?

I am having the sleeve done on April 9. I also am feeling very depressed and moody, I am stressed about the surgery and the changes and I had to stop smoking a couple of days ago in preparation for the surgery. I feel like I am losing my cool about everything. I startt he liquid diet monday will im sure will only make it worse. I feel so whiney talking about it and my husband is the type that is like "jut suck it up and do it if you want to do it" I don t kow what i am trying to get out of talking about it, but i was glad to see others feel the same way before surgery.

Hey Chrissy,

My husband is the same way, and I am basically alone in this. The way I look at it is that I have many habits and relationships with food that, while gratifying and soothing in the moment, are basically robbing me of a life of action and normalcy. It is hard to swallow (forgive the pun) that my life will drastically change because of an inability on my part, but without a drastic change, I know myself, and I would just live in inertia. I go in tomorrow morning. So here's to praying and hoping for a brighter future. Best to you!

The one thing that keeps me going is knowing I will be healthier, slimmer and happier. But getting to that place is not easy. Tomorrow morning is my surgery, and I'm so hungry but I made it through 9 days of liquids and and I can make it through 2 weeks of clear, I hope. I know I'm a little grumpy and tired but I have to do this, to prove to myself that I can be a stronger person without eating everything in sight. I know I will eat again just smaller amounts and better choices. I just need to get through the next two weeks. Say a prayer for me cause I need them. I want to thank everyone that has responded to my post. All the good thoughts and support are greatly appreciated.

Totally am feeling the same way! I absolutely love to eat and even told my husband that maybe I should postpone the surgery so I can have a little more time eating the foods I didnt get to have a "funeral" for. I know it is completely irrational, but I love food. I have my surgery tomorrow and just finished the Optifast liquid diet for the last 3 weeks which made me totally cranky. On a bright note, I did lose 20 pounds. However, then I started thinking well if I could have the willpower to do a liquid diet and lose weight, maybe I dont need the surgery? OF course, I know I need this because it is always impossible for me to get the weight off (well at least since I had my kids anyways). Today, I am only allowed Clear Liquids. Having to feed two small kids does not help either! So, no - you are definitely NOT alone.

I am on the 10th too. I am on day 6 of the liquid diet. You really don't understand ur addiction to food until it is taken away. Everymoment of life consisted of where and what we were eating. This weekend I could not eat out like my normal routine. Instead I am trying to do things to keep me busy and not thinking about the food. It is hard with kids. They have to eat. Sitting at McDonalds and they are eating and playing. I am drinking and unsweeten tea. Have total control, but I want real food.

Great control! McDonalds is hard with that smell. Proud of you! I'll think of u and how u did it when I take my kids!

i start my 2 day liquid pre opt diet tom. i hope the day goes fast. it is funny i am worrying about it since there are many day i miss lunch due to my job. surgery on wed.