Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frequently Asked Questions

How much are we supposed to be eating in the first few weeks/months? Taking anti acid, but still feel hungry alot. Eating what I am supposed to and only eating 3 or 4 times a day, but when I am eating my Soup I am wanting more than 1/2 cup.

What causes slimes or slimming? Is it your stomach saying it doesn't like the food? What can be done to keep it from happening?

What causes slimes or slimming? Is it your stomach saying it doesn't like the food? What can be done to keep it from happening?

It is most often too big of bites, eating too fast or not chewing well enough. The body is trying to lubricate the the food so tgat it will move down.

This is good information, but a lot of it goes against the plans my surgeon has. Example: I don't drink Isopure Protein. Never have even tried it and my surgeon had no restriction in type of Protein.< /p>

Good FAQ, just not for everyone

This is my third week out. I seem to be making a lot of mistakes. Due to a problem of scar tissue during surgery, my surgeon decided to do the sleeve as apposed to the gastric bypass. I was prepared for bypass and the sleeve is so new. I'm now aloud to eat semi hard foods. Last night I chose food that caused me to vomit. Two days prior I had a terrible gas attack and the runs after eating something too spicy. What should I be eating this third week. Please give me a list of suggested foods. I checked my surgeons list and one of the food items on third week is thin sliced lunch meat. I ate that today and it seemed to agree. Please send more suggestions

This is good information, but a lot of it goes against the plans my surgeon has. Example: I don't drink Isopure Protein. Never have even tried it and my surgeon had no restriction in type of Protein.< /p>

Good FAQ, just not for everyone

Well that's great that your surgeon had no restrictions! I know many who would kill to have such a lenient Dr.

As stated in the disclaimer, this FAQ is in no way intended to undermine or replace the advice of your surgeon. It is merely for informational purposes and answers were compiled from multiple resources.

That being said, Isopure is pretty good! Tastes a bit like unsweetened kool aid! For those that can't tolerate their powder-based or rtd protein supplements, its a great alternative.

Thanks for sharing!

This is my third week out. I seem to be making a lot of mistakes. Due to a problem of scar tissue during surgery, my surgeon decided to do the sleeve as apposed to the gastric bypass. I was prepared for bypass and the sleeve is so new. I'm now aloud to eat semi hard foods. Last night I chose food that caused me to vomit. Two days prior I had a terrible gas attack and the runs after eating something too spicy. What should I be eating this third week. Please give me a list of suggested foods. I checked my surgeons list and one of the food items on third week is thin sliced lunch meat. I ate that today and it seemed to agree. Please send more suggestions

Sorry to hear you're having so much difficulty! I hope things have improved since your post!

Typically you should stick with bland foods for about 6 weeks out, or until you feel your sleeve can tolerate it. Essentially your stomach is like a baby's stomach: when they first start eating solid foods their little tummies can't tolerate spices so we give them plain meat, plain veggies, or mildly spiced foods until their stomach becomes more accustomed to solids. You slowly introduce more flavors and spices, and when you find something that doesn't agree with their tummy, you put it on the "not yet but soon" list.

I know this isn't the list you were looking for, but hopefully by following the theory you should find some relief. And don't worry, you won't be eating this way forever - eventually your tummy will be able to tolerate most all the foods you used to enjoy, just in much smaller portions.

It is most often too big of bites, eating too fast or not chewing well enough. The body is trying to lubricate the the food so tgat it will move down.

Thanks for picking up my slack! Apparently VST has decided I no longer need to know when someone posts another question in this thread ;-)

i am 8 weeks post op.i gurgle every time i swallow liquids, and soft food. my stomach rumbles most of the time, i had a berrium swallow and in noted "slow empting" slime most of the time. i have lost 30lbs in 2 months, always hungry. any thoughts

question for experienced sleever, i don't want to back to my Dr. i am 8 weeks post op. i hate the front desk, you have to leave a message, and they return your calls tuesdays and thursdays between 9am and 11am, no way can you talk to a human. my regular Dr. is very supportive, do you think it would be safe to not go back to my surgeon?

i am 8 weeks post op.i gurgle every time i swallow liquids, and soft food. my stomach rumbles most of the time, i had a berrium swallow and in noted "slow empting" slime most of the time. i have lost 30lbs in 2 months, always hungry. any thoughts

The noisy tummy is totally normal - I think mine "talked" to me for a good 2-3 months post op and even now it talks to me occasionally, especially when I eat something it doesn't like. The always hungry issue you're having could be any number of things. It could be head hunger, acid reflux, or even thirst. I'd start by taking an antacid and drinking a glass of Water - if that doesn't take care of it the most likely culprit is head hunger. Hope that helps!

question for experienced sleever, i don't want to back to my Dr. i am 8 weeks post op. i hate the front desk, you have to leave a message, and they return your calls tuesdays and thursdays between 9am and 11am, no way can you talk to a human. my regular Dr. is very supportive, do you think it would be safe to not go back to my surgeon?

I would definitely go back to your surgeon if you're having sleeve related issues. I know my surgeon's office is super busy as well, but if I call super early or email the nurse I usually get a faster response time, have you tried that? Your surgeon has been specifically trained to deal with any bariatric issues you may be having, and while I'm sure your PCP is great, they're not always aware of the minute details and intricacies of our new tummies.

question for experienced sleever' date=' i don't want to back to my Dr. i am 8 weeks post op. i hate the front desk, you have to leave a message, and they return your calls tuesdays and thursdays between 9am and 11am, no way can you talk to a human. my regular Dr. is very supportive, do you think it would be safe to not go back to my surgeon?[/quote']

This early out, I would recommend following up with the surgeon. You're still on the healing stages and he/she is best equipped to spot problems. I'd also suggest going to the six month checkup. After that, you'd probably be fine.

Thank you so much for all of this information! I'm in the very beginning phase of this process and am finding all this information and hearing of others' experiences VERY helpful and comforting.

Blessings~

Im 3 weeks post op and my breath smells' date=' will this go away soon???[/quote']

I know this answer from juicing. Well, I think I know the answer.

Toxins escape from the tongue. Not only the tongue, but the tongue as well. When you stop eating bad for you foods, you get bad breath and sometimes a white tongue with ick on it as your body rids itself of all the crap in it. Bad breath and a filmy tongue was always something that happened to me when I would juice fast. Totally temporary.