Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Obviously I had an unhealthy relationship with food if I needed to get this surgery, and something needed to change. Granted I'm only 3 weeks out but even eating my mushiness feels like a chore. Anyone else get this feeling? Does it pass?

Trust me, it will pass. I'm 2 1/2 months out and when I was 3 weeks out, I felt the same way. Don't know about 3 weeks, but maybe in the next few weeks, if you like sushi, try getting just the sashimi (tuna and salmon) without rice. It is SOOO easy on the stomach, is packed with Protein and tastes awesome. And it is pretty soft and mushy. And the ginger with it really helps with digestion. But you will get passed it. However, its not that you will go back to what you used to eat (some do, but...) you'll just become accustomed to what works well with your new stomach and what doesn't. For example, I can't eat fried food anymore. It immediately turns my stomach and I get sick. So i just don't eat it. And I choose fish over anything else because my new sleeve LOVES fish....something that I liked before, but wasn't head over heels about like I am now. So while I say it gets easier, its more that you will become more comfortable with what your sleeve likes and dislikes and you will just start to gravitate towards those foods. I hope this helps :)

oh and the process of actually eating will get easier. Along the same lines, you'll learn what goes down okay and what doesn't, and you'll just steer clear of those foods. But it will get easier.

it is a chore for me too! I have to make myself eat every few hours or I will go all day with nothing!

O my goodness,I wish I could feel like that...forever!

I agree,i just don't enjoy eating anymore. I guess that was the point, lol. But I struggle to get the minimum calories in because no matter how little or slow I eat I never feel well after. I'm not complaining though, I'm thrilled to have these issues.

It will get better everyone. There is a really common occurance called Water nausau (I always spell that wrong.) But if you put a little juice or crystal light in it, that will help it go down better. Also string cheese and greek yogurt is awesome for mushy food that is satisfying. But that will depend on your lactose tolerance. I have also used lactaid a lot because it is just easier on my stomach than regular milk. If you like indian food, you can also try the tandoori freezer meals (just stay away from the rice part.) They have vegetarian paneer tikka masala that uses tofu instead of chicken and its a spinach mushy consistancy (like a lot of indian food). I've found dense meats can be hard on the stomach. If you do try meat, go for dark meat cause its easier to get down. Also mashed up avacado and small pieces of lightly cooked shrimp soaked in lime juice work really well with a mushy diet and taste great. These are just some tips that worked really well for me. I hope maybe they will help you too. OH and one other thing a book i have says, which is totally true for me, is to drink something warm in the morning cause it will help gentle waken your stomach and prep it for liquids and food. I usually either have some Decaf coffee or warm instant cream of wheat using light soymilk and sugar free Syrup.< /p>

I can understand warm liquids in the morning. I did notice that when I chug down a cold drink as soon as I wake up I have problems for an hour. "problems as in knots or nausea". But if I let my V8 and shake warm up a bit it goes down smooth. I just thought that was in my head. Glad to see it happens to others.

Trust me, it will pass. I'm 2 1/2 months out and when I was 3 weeks out, I felt the same way. Don't know about 3 weeks, but maybe in the next few weeks, if you like sushi, try getting just the sashimi (tuna and salmon) without rice. It is SOOO easy on the stomach, is packed with Protein and tastes awesome. And it is pretty soft and mushy. And the ginger with it really helps with digestion. But you will get passed it. However, its not that you will go back to what you used to eat (some do, but...) you'll just become accustomed to what works well with your new stomach and what doesn't. For example, I can't eat fried food anymore. It immediately turns my stomach and I get sick. So i just don't eat it. And I choose fish over anything else because my new sleeve LOVES fish....something that I liked before, but wasn't head over heels about like I am now. So while I say it gets easier, its more that you will become more comfortable with what your sleeve likes and dislikes and you will just start to gravitate towards those foods. I hope this helps :)

I am so glad I found this topic. I had surgery on 03/01 so I am 26 days out. I am basically at the stage where I can eat normal food if I chew very well and eat small bites. The problem is that I don't want to eat. Nothing sounds appealing. The only thing I am remotely interested in eating is a salad loaded with veggies and that is one of the only things I am still not supposed to have. I probably don't eat 400 calories a day, I haven't lost any weight in a week (yes I know 3 week stall and starvation mode etc), and my stomach stays full of gas despite gas-x strips and rinitidine for the reflux. Most days I start off feeling ok but by noon I am exhausted. I bought these bariatric Vitamins but they are too hard on my stomach so I am forcing myself to eat some of my kids gummy vitamins each day. My muscles are sore and crampy from my lack of potassium but I can't get the potassium pill down and my stomach refuses to hold a banana. I want to start Zumba but I get dizzy just standing up. I am getting about 30 - 35 oz of Fluid in a day on most days but others maybe only 10 oz. I don't regret my sleeve at all... I just want to figure out how to work it better...

Crystal Woods I have a lot of struggles with Water. I dilute my water with G2 gatorade and then I can drink more water. I even use the Mio drops or I squeeze a little fruit juice into my water. That was a life saver. It's really important that you up your Fluid intake. I use to drink a lot of Soup broth for the fluid. I know you know that fluid is important so I'm not trying to be critical, it's just so much easier when we are hydrated. Hang in here and let us know how your doing! Everyone on this site is Rockin their Sleeves! Hugs ;)

Yikes, I get worried some days, because I am only 6 weeks out, and on "soft food, " but so far nothing gives me trouble, and I can eat a decent sized bite (maybe half the size of bite I used to) and I don't have to wait very long between bites. Admittedly, I've made myself feel a bit sick a few times, but now I know exactly where my cutoff is. I can already hold close to 6 oz of food. I kind of wish I was still taking an hour to eat something and getting full at 2 oz. That was comforting to me. I must be a quick healer!! Take advantage of these early stages if you've got the added restriction of surgical swelling!

I am so glad I found this topic. I had surgery on 03/01 so I am 26 days out. I am basically at the stage where I can eat normal food if I chew very well and eat small bites. The problem is that I don't want to eat. Nothing sounds appealing. The only thing I am remotely interested in eating is a salad loaded with veggies and that is one of the only things I am still not supposed to have. I probably don't eat 400 calories a day' date=' I haven't lost any weight in a week (yes I know 3 week stall and starvation mode etc), and my stomach stays full of gas despite gas-x strips and rinitidine for the reflux. Most days I start off feeling ok but by noon I am exhausted. I bought these bariatric Vitamins but they are too hard on my stomach so I am forcing myself to eat some of my kids gummy vitamins each day. My muscles are sore and crampy from my lack of potassium but I can't get the potassium pill down and my stomach refuses to hold a banana. I want to start Zumba but I get dizzy just standing up. I am getting about 30 - 35 oz of Fluid in a day on most days but others maybe only 10 oz. I don't regret my sleeve at all... I just want to figure out how to work it better...[/quote']

U have to eat. I know it sounds weird but you have to get all ur protien and Water in for the day and u will feel much better u also have to get in all the calories ur supposed to or u wont lose weight which also sounded crazy to me when i first heard it. As for Vitamins there are liquid forms and chewables that can help u get the proper vitamins ur body needs, I am sure ur kids chewables are not cutting it for ur body. U have no energy right now cuz ur not eating, it's like expecting ur car to run on empty, it just won't and niether will ur body. I hope this helps. :-)

Thank you all for the feedback and support! :)

On another note, it was probably bad, but I ate a pickle today....it was AWESOME! Tasted so good and my sleeve apparently loved it. For lunch I had cream of chicken soup......my sleeve didn't love that so much. I'm just stoked about pickles, I know a lot of sodium, but in moderation those should be ok at 3 weeks shouldn't they?

I'm just like joiebean - I eat mostly fish. I went to my Asian market yesterday & bought salmon, shrimp, mussels, sashimi grade yellow fin & ahi. If I'm not in the mood to do sashimi I just sear the outside real quick. I hope I don't get mercury poisoning haha. I really don't like eating very much anymore either. I get nauseous from almost everything! Last night I made a delish dinner of salmon poached in coconut red curry broth with mushrooms & green Beans. My family ate it over rice, but I ate about 2 oz of fish with 2 green beans & 2 pieces of mushroom. I felt fine after. About 2-3 hours later I.ate another 1-2 oz & immediately went to bed naseaus. I don't get it!!!! I guess it's all trial & error. I'm 8 weeks out & still working on eating better....more frequently to be specific. Pre surgery I would go all day without eating & then carb load at night. I'm still really struggling to eat during the day. Everyday is a new adventure :)