Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise and Excess Skin

This may be a stupid question but... does the amount of toning and exercise you do while losing weight determine how much excess skin you will have after weight loss? Or will you have it regardless? I read somewhere that certain areas can't be toned with excercise and must be surgically modified...

Just wonderin...

Virginia

I think that the amount of excercise that you do combined with the normal elasticity of your skin will determine how much excess skin you will have after losing weight. I have lost over 100 lbs total now and do have some excess skin, but now a great deal at all. I contribute that success to working out 2 to 3 days a week on average. Some weeks more. In the beginning I did a lot of cardio and little weights. Now I do a lot of weights and little cardio. Talk with the trainer at the gym, they can suggest a routine for you to follow.

I am interested in the responses you get. I am wondering the same thing. I have a bit of excess skin, not as bad as I thought. The inner thighs are a bit scary.

Ha good question ... im interested in that also i started out at 198 lbs im 5ft 1/2 inches tall. ive been riding my bike and walking, so far know excess skin, but that does not mean i want have any in the end...ive loss 14 lbs so far...;)...virginia

Im also interested to know if you have excess skin prior to surgery ( around my waist) if that can get any better with working out ?

I have pretty much convinced myself that i'll neeed a TT and im fine with that. My other question is if you need a TT when do you get it done ?

Im assuming after you meet your goal but how long after that ?

Mindy

(Not yet banded)

I really think it doesnt. If your body underneath is firm and well toned, your skin will look better but skin is NOT muscle and no amount of excercise is going to affect the firmness of your skin, sad to say. Its basic physiological fact, same as how no amount of exercises will improve the size or shape of your breasts - because they're skin, fat and non muscular tissue.

Exericse is still a vital factor in how you look and feel though.

Thanks Jachut , Im ok if i have to have a TT , In fact I had already planned on having a TT and a breast lift lol. Now if i can just hurry up and have the surgery so i can get to the TT and Breast lift . lol

How long after surgery do people typically wait to have PS ?

Mindy

So you didnt wait a certain amount of time after goal ? Just when ever your reached your goal you felt comfortable enough to do it ?

Im sure its an individual choice everyone is different on when they choose to do it . I didnt know if there was a "recommended " time to wait or not ?

Thanks

Mindy

Aussie Chick, By the way you look great. You look like a totally different person in your before and now pics.(All before and after pics amaze me ) How are you feeling now after your TT ? Just HOW painful was it ? LOL Not as bad as you expected ?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to know everything NOW , im a very impatient person lol

Thanks

Mindy

LMAO I didn't even notice I'm a HORRIBLE Speller .

Mindy

So you didnt wait a certain amount of time after goal ? Just when ever your reached your goal you felt comfortable enough to do it ?

Im sure its an individual choice everyone is different on when they choose to do it . I didnt know if there was a "recommended " time to wait or not ?

Thanks

Mindy

I think "they" say 6 to 12 months at goal before going ahead with PS.

My belly was such a tranwreck, and there was so little hope that it would ever go back to anything like "normal" that I (and my doctors) decided not to wait We are in the middle of the Aussie winter, and the sores, and rashes are bad enough now, I couldn't imagine what it would be like in the Aussie summer.

Aussie Chick, By the way you look great. You look like a totally different person in your before and now pics.(All before and after pics amaze me ) How are you feeling now after your TT ? Just HOW painful was it ? LOL Not as bad as you expected ?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to know everything NOW , im a very impatient person lol

Thanks

Mindy

Thank you. I feel like a different person. No, the pain was nothing like I expected. It is more uncomfortable than painful.