Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oprah Kriste Ally

Wondering about this surgery but if it's so good than why haven't someone like Oprah herself who is struggling with weight issues go for the sleeve ? Or Kristie.

Maybe it's the publicity thing.

I would think its a publicity thing also. The surgery is not for everyone. I do not have the money to hire a nutritionist, chef or personal trainer to keep me in line lol. I need something with me every second of everyday to help me with make the right choices and help control my intake. I know in my heart I made the right choice for me and when I get the surgery it will be a great journey.

I cannot wait!!! YAY!! May 7th!

i don't think oprah is willing to change her lifestyle/eating ways to have the sleeve done. I think she loves food so much, like we all do, she is basically saying the hell with it - i am who i am and thats her choice. Her decision, so thats fine for her. BTW i'm not slamming Oprah, at 4:00 every day i used to watch her.

As far as kirstie, i also think it is too much of a committment/the sleeve for her to change. I think she will continue to try to lose weight though.

Oprah & Kirstie both at that age, 58/60 that they think oh well its just too hard to keep losing this weight and then maintain the weight loss -and i'm just too tired of trying to maintain the weight loss, of course thats crazy, btw i'm 58 :D

BTW i think its so funny how we talk about oprah and kirstie like they are our best buddies :rolleyes:

of course all above IMO disclaimer included :unsure:

kathy

Some people really believe they can nix their weight issues with diet and exercise. Some people are "anti surgery". Both Kirstie and Oprah seem to be the anti surgery types. Wishing them both the best of luck. I just looked at th statiscs for keeping weight off and the statistics for complications from sleeve surgery and I liked the odds of surgery better for myself.

WLS has been around longer than Kirstie and Oprah, so I'm sure if they ever wanted to try WLS they could have. I suppose it's a personal choice that they just aren't interested in at this point.

I heard Kirstie did have WLS. I haven't seen her lately to see if she's lost any weight.

Oprah has said that she doesn't believe in WLS. She thinks people should just do it

naturally. She needs to realize yer yo yo dieting is not healthy and think of it as a way to become healthy.

Maybe the restriction on the amount of food they will be able to eat will cramp their "party life style!" Actually, I never even heard of this surgery at all until I had an upper GI at my doctor and found out 1/3 of my stomach had protruded through my diaprahgm and was lodged between my lungs and had to be fixed, so I don't think alot of people may be aware of it.

A lot of people don't know about the surgery and have their eyes closed. A lot of people don't have insurance coverage or the money to pay for the procedure. And a lot of people just don't believe in surgery. I'm glad that I was open minded to getting a sleeve. It has saved my life. ;)

Maybe they (like others im sure) think of WLS as a cheaters way of doing it! Maybe its looked down upon by outsiders. My son used to give me crap all the time about it. People who havent delt with weight issues their whole life doesnt understand. WLS is the only way and last resort for me! Thank you to whoever invented the sleeve!

I was just talking about this same subject with my husband, the other day. I guess great minds think alike, lol

My conclusion was, that when Oprah first started her talk show, everything about her was about her weight, she was the subject of all fat jokes and when anyone spoke about fat people, Oprahs name came up.

Now that she built her reputation and made a massive amount of money, now she is more talked about when people discuss rich people, or joke about giving away cars, that took the focus off of her weight, so I think if she had the surgery now, it would put the focus back on her weight and tear down all of the positive vibe she has created for herself. It probably would have been better if she done it back when she lost all that weight, she might could have kept it off too.

That's my opinion anyway ;)

With the stigma attached to WLS, the public might have a negative reaction to either Oprah or Kirstie Alley having WLS. They live and die by their reputations, so it's probably not a recommended option.

Wondering about this surgery but if it's so good than why haven't someone like Oprah herself who is struggling with weight issues go for the sleeve ? Or Kristie.

THAT'S WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING LOL!!! I don't get it...but I will say I have told many obese people about sleevie and they snob their noses at it. I've heard NO WAY 85% of my stomach is too crazy, or I will ask God to help me take it off the RIGHT way, etc. etc. etc. So to each his own I guess...All I can say is I THANK GOD for my sleevie :)

To each their own. Why didn't I choose to continue struggling and battling for the rest of my life with diet and exercise alone?

It's all a personal decision, and I always say unless you are 110% in then by all means do not attempt.

I echo Diva and a several of you guys.. That's the beauty of life.. My choice should not diminish anyone else's... People feel all sorts of ways about WLS, birth control, etc.... their personal choice and it doesn't influence my actions either way...

Think how many people have been saved by radical medical means and the how many people have died when they could have been saved by a simple injection... Same with the sleeve... some chose a different way, I chose my Sleevina and I love her.. she helped ME save my life!!!!