Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie - Sleeved 3/14 Hemoglobin Very Low

Hi everyone,

I found this wonderful resource 2 weeks prior to my surgery. I found myself reading these posts everyday and feeling so encouraged by the people on here. But finally got the courage to join today. I was sleeved on 3/14 and had my gall bladder removed at the same time. Surgery was a success and i have very little pain, stopped pain meds two days after surgery. I am gassy but have been forcing myself to take gasx and sleep on my tummy to force gas to pass. Howver, since surgery my hemoglobin is really low, anemic(7.4) blood level currently, escaped a blood transfusion! I have no appetite and my Dr. Recommends Iron but the script he wrote the pharmacy doesn't carry that brand of iron. I feel like if anybody truly knows how I feel right now, it's the people on here. I feel so fatigued, I know I am not getting enough fluids and am still on Clear liquids. Did anyone have hemoglobin issues, any recommendations for me? Thanks!

What was your Hb before the surgery? Do you know if you lost a lot of blood during the operation itself? Just wondering since this could suggest (among other things) an internal bleed.

What was your Hb before the surgery? Do you know if you lost a lot of blood during the operation itself? Just wondering since this could suggest (among other things) an internal bleed.

My hemo was low before surgery about a level 10 then dropped to 7.4 and has been stable at that level since.

Bariatric Advantage sugar free raspberry truffle Iron chewables. Has vit C to help absorb and I love the taste. Starting eating this before my surgery to increase iron because I am anemic, my doc was happy because he said I was getting higher so I stick to these. Really helps.

Bariatric Advantage sugar free raspberry truffle Iron chewables. Has vit C to help absorb and I love the taste. Starting eating this before my surgery to increase Iron because I am anemic' date=' my doc was happy because he said I was getting higher so I stick to these. Really helps.[/quote']

Thanks so much, where did you get these from? Would love to pick up some tonight!!

Hi - I work as BB supervisor. A drop from 10 to 7 is equivalent to loosing 3 units of blood which is a lot! I just wanted to let you know there are other options. There is a shot of Iron given in the muscle. There is also iron by IV method. To get your red blood cells back where they are supposed to be is going to take months. Your body makes new red cells every 120 days. It will take weeks of taking iron to get you back to feeling better. I just wanted to tell you because many people take iron one week and can't feel the difference and stop taking it. Hope you feel better soon! If there are any other issues (female) etc....sorry from your sign on could not tell if you were male or female...you might need to follow up on those issues as that could be making your hemoglobin even lower (long heavy periods etc).

OFF TOPIC

This was the fastest way to post a pic. B- we made it!!

post-23221-13813666431216_thumb.jpg

Also, you have permanently lost the part of your stomach that does most Iron absorption so you may not be able to get enough from supplements. I could not effectively absorb iron through my stomach pre-surgery and have had several iron drips over the years. Don't be afraid of that if your doctor recommends it. You just sit in a recliner for a couple of hours with an IV and you are good to go. None of the risks associated with blood products.