Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going Back To Work.... Any Suggestions Or Advice From The Vets

Hey guys I'm going back to work after three weeks off tomorrow. I'm a little nervous about my eating and getting my Protein in. Just seems like I have so much more control being at home where I have everything I need. Anyway Vets any good suggestions for going back to work? 3 week sleeved!

Hi andi0120-

Don't overdo it! I was exhausted at the end of my first week back to work. I was working at my normal pace but with so little food that I was using up all my energy reserves.

I also was careful to only eat when I was not rushed. Eating too fast or not paying attention and eating just that little bite too much can be ugly! LOL

Find a routine that works for you for getting all of your Protein, Water and supplements in for the day. Once I found a rhythm that worked,most of the time I was able to reach my daily goals (minimum 60g Protein and 64 oz water). But I had to find the best timing in my work day. Like I found if I didn't get at least 40-48oz of Water in before I left work to go home, I would be nowhere near my water goal for the day. Also, if I didn't get a less dense protein source in for lunch (chili, milk based chowder, yogurt), i couldn't hit my protein goal.

I think the key is to listen to and learn your body and how it's adjusting to this new way of life.

Good luck!

First off, congrats on your sleeve!! And it looks like you are doing great!

I have a little fridge at my desk. I buy the EAS low carb Protein shakes and store them in my fridge. When I get to work, I start drinking one for my morning Breakfast. They are yummy! I am able to go home for lunch, but if I couldn't, I would probably bring a chicken breast or a lean cuisine or something like that. At 3 weeks, not sure what you can eat yet, but be sure to follow your plan. I also always have a bottle of Water with me in my fridge. I drink about 40-50 oz a day which isn't too hard to do. I also have the lowfat Weight Watchers cheese sticks that I eat sometimes as an afternoon snack. The problem with those is that when I eat one, it makes me hungry for another for some reason, so I usually try to avoid them. Then it is back to home where I have my dinner.

You will do great. It really isn't that difficult. I actually find that working takes my mind off eating anyways so it's all good.

Hope this helps and good luck!! Again, congrats you awesome sleever you! :)

Congrats on your sleeve!!.. I have to echo what's already been said... Plan your meals and schedule your Fluid intake... I bought a 32oz Water container... and I fill it up once on the way out of the house.. and again after lunch break...

I try to keep high Protein Snacks around and get at least 25-30g of Protein during breakfast....

It was very difficult for me initially because I wasn't used to having to work and think about getting all my food/liquids down..When I plan and stick to my schedule, it's no problem..

But if I get super busy at work and get thrown off, I have a heck of a time trying to get all my Water and meals in...

I am going back tomorrow half day and am still on Clear Liquids - 9 days post op tomorrow. I'm exhausted from my Walmart trip today - I hope I survive!!!!

A few things that I found and did when I went back to work were:

You will probably be beat after work. Good idea about going back on a Thursday. That's what I did and by friday afternoon I was SOOOOOO tired. I rested the majority of the weekend. So just don't be disappointed if you go back and realize you can't keep up with the same pace that you used to.

Second, I bring all my food with me. I was the epitome of the opposite of this before surgery, I bought Breakfast at DD, lunch at either a diner or chinese, and then dinner, we typically went out to eat. No wonder I was so unhealthy!! Anyway, I realized 1) I wouldn't be able to get all the Protein in if I didn't bring my own foods and 2) those old places didn't really have anything sleeve friendly. I"m two months out and I still can't find much that I would want to eat there. I usually bring a shake and some greek yogurt and a string cheese. That gets me through the day and then I have a really lean high protein dinner with a little veggies if I have room. I am still having a hard time getting all the fluids in during the workday because I am so preoccupied. But we'll all get there. :-) Hope this helps. It really helps if you have an understanding boss and coworkers too. Cause your feet will probably be dragging for the first week. But the energy will come back!

Ive been back 6 days since surgery. Stay hydrated. I noticed my 1st day back i was a little light headed & felt woozy. Emailed my Dr. and was told to stay hydrated and make sure im taking my Protein Shakes. So i take 2 Protein shakes to work, consisting of 30mg each. That does the job for me & pacing yourself. Dont rush into things mistake i made since i stay on my feet all 8hrs and only sitting for 15min breaks & lunch. But everything will eventually fall through. I feel much better now. Good Luck!

Thanks so much everyone. I went out and purchased a lunch bag, some healthy Snacks and some elastic waist skirts. I realized while out today that jeans still don't feel so great although they are baggy so I'll go with the elastic waist for awhile. The sleeve requires so much discipline. I love this site you learn so much.