Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanted to keep this in this forum... For those already sleeved, how is the Hair loss? ??

How come nobody is commenting on this? LOL

Supposedly it happens a few months out! I'm really worried about it.

Hi.

I haven't been on the site in a while. I am a little over 6 months post-op and I did experience some hair loss. It freaked me out at first cause it was excessive. I kept noticing globs of hair on the shower drain. Like clogging it up. It was crazy.

So, I beefed up on my Protein intake and only washed my hair every other or every third day. That's when it would fall out the most. But what I didn't know was that, that hair was gonna come out anyway. The hair folicle died in the first few weeks after surgery due to the shock to your system. The reason that it didn't start falling out until 2 to 3 months later is because the new hair was pushing it out. I know... sounds crazy but it's true and now I have a bunch of little hairs poking out. Thank goodness I have thick hair and no one noticed but I sure could feel the difference in the thickness of a ponytail or just by brushing it.

Anyway, the falling out stage lasted about 3 to 4 weeks and then it was over.

That's my experience.

I haven't updated my signature lately so I'll add my progress on here too.

To date.... I have lost 105lbs. yay!

I love this forum. I have not been sleeved yet, as I am still contemplating it and weighing my options. I'm a fairly low BMI, just under 35, and despite many failures and attempts to lost it, I also feel like maybe I have been lazy and not put enough effort into making this work. I'd much rather go and overeat a good meal than have to think about the extra 60 lbs I'm carrying!

I was all ready to move forward, then I had this dream two nights ago that stopped me dead in my tracks: I dreamed I went bald. So of course I've been reading about the hair loss and all and now I am talking myself out of surgery because 1.) I am not *that* fat and I should be able to do this and 2.) I already have thin hair and if I lose it all that will be a HUGE slam to my self esteem.

I admit I have a hard time "seeing" myself how I am. I feel normal. I only feel fat when I see pictures of myself and I think, "my god I am FAT!" Does anyone else experience this weird body self image?

How can I get past this feeling of "I do NOT need to remove my stomach to do this! I CANNOT lose my hair!"

Of course I've carried these extra 60 lbs for nearly 15 years.

Sage advice? Esp. on the mental aspect of the hair loss.....

I'm sorry I should have posted this in Pre-op but hit the wrong button I guess... :) Any replies are much appreciated though!

I love this forum. I have not been sleeved yet, as I am still contemplating it and weighing my options. I'm a fairly low BMI, just under 35, and despite many failures and attempts to lost it, I also feel like maybe I have been lazy and not put enough effort into making this work. I'd much rather go and overeat a good meal than have to think about the extra 60 lbs I'm carrying!

I was all ready to move forward, then I had this dream two nights ago that stopped me dead in my tracks: I dreamed I went bald. So of course I've been reading about the hair loss and all and now I am talking myself out of surgery because 1.) I am not *that* fat and I should be able to do this and 2.) I already have thin hair and if I lose it all that will be a HUGE slam to my self esteem.

I admit I have a hard time "seeing" myself how I am. I feel normal. I only feel fat when I see pictures of myself and I think, "my god I am FAT!" Does anyone else experience this weird body self image?

How can I get past this feeling of "I do NOT need to remove my stomach to do this! I CANNOT lose my hair!"

Of course I've carried these extra 60 lbs for nearly 15 years.

Sage advice? Esp. on the mental aspect of the hair loss.....

The mental aspect is startling. My sleeve (surgery on the 27th) will be my 2nd WLS so I'm going in to it prepared this time.

Here's an excerpt from a previous post I made:

If you haven't yet experienced the hairloss being discussed, it might alarm you when it starts. Mine started literally overnight. My hair is now short (by choice, not due to the loss) but it was about waist length when I had my first bariatric surgery. The first day it started falling out I was wetting my hair in the shower and happened to look at my hands and they were completely covered. Ever hear or see something that sends up the hairs on the back of your neck? That's what seeing my hands covered in hair did for me. I've seen people go through chemotherapy and I remember thinking, "This is what chemotherapy does."

What do you mean "prepared"? Did you actually have bald spots in your hair? Or just thin?

Yeah that's my fear - I'm starting with already baby fine, thin hair. :)

Hi,

My surgery date is scheduled for April 4. I don't know how to get over the aspect of hairloss. That's a tough one. The only thing I am able to do is mentally prepare myself that this might happen. I have talked to my hairdresser and he said we can always do extensions or hair clips if it would happen. Plus, it grows back.

You really seem torn on what to do. It it a big step to take. I, myself, am just sick of the yoyo dieting. I lost 100 pounds on Weight Watchers, but put it all back on. I can do a diet, but can't stick to it. That's my problem. So I just need to go a little further and have the extra tool of "the sleeve."

Really, really take your time and do what research you need. You don't want to regret your decision. Good luck! I hope you find the answers you are looking for. This is an awesome site.

Oh, one last thing . . . double check with your insurance first to make sure they cover and their requirements. I had to be at least 35 BMI with one comortality or 40 BMI with no comortalities.

Courtney

I cannot reply about Hair loss as I don't know anything about this. But I can relate to what you say about not being sure if you need the surgery. I struggled with this and actually gained weight to be sure I would qualify for the surgery. (I am embarrassed to admit this). I knew I was overweight and was always dieting to lose 40 lbs. up and down but never getting past the 40 lbs when I really needed to lose 60 lbs. After so many years of dieting and after listening to many friends and family who told me I was crazy and didn't need surgery - I finally had the surgery and I am very happy I did.

I cannot give you advice but can tell you that I am happy that I have lost almost 40 lbs in six weeks. But do want to add that it is not an easy, easy solution.

I hate my hair and perhaps a temporary hair loss might be a nice change. But I should not make light of your concern. I didn't really give that much thought before or after my surgery. My weight, health and thinner appearance has been my biggest concerns.

I am about where u r with the BMI. I was 70 lbs from goal before my surgery and dealt with the same issues concerning the feeling that I was a "loser" because I was "resorting" to WLS. My head told me that I should be able to do this. I opted for the sleeve and I'm gonna be totally honest about the outcome. I was sleeved on March 5 and have lost 13 lbs since. There are both physical and mental drawbacks for sure. I f you don't stop eating AS SOON AS YOU FEEL FULL...YOU WILL THROW UP. You get that "icky feeling tummy" if you don't follow the rules COMPLETELY. (not drinking during eating, etc). You also have to remember that just because you have the surgery does not mean you get rid of that desire to eat things and amounts that you shouldn't. I'll admit that I have had days when I wondered if this was worth it.

BUT...

My days of regret came during my second week post op when I lost a big fat 0 pounds. I suppose it was a "stall" cuz I'm back on the losing wagon. I have decided, without a doubt, that this was the right decision for me. I'm learning to cope with the desire for "bad" foods (and the desire for too much food). I've also found that when I drink plenty of Water, and get my Protein in, AND minimize my carbs, I feel sooo much better... All the way around.

In the end you have to decide which is more important.....Being able to eat what you want as well as how much you want, regardless of the consequences....OR being and feeling healthier and wearing the clothes you sooooo want to wear. I honestly don't see either as the "right or wrong" choice.....just has to be right for you.

Debly,

I, too, had a relatively low BMI, around 36. I've dieted all my life, losing and gaining. Every decade that went by, I managed to pack on an additional 10 lbs. I never thought I was "that fat" and I thought I carried it well, because I didn't look as heavy as what the scale said. In my 30's, the dr would say I needed to lose weight. In my 40's the dr would say I need to lose weight. When I turned 50, the dr said that I needed to be on BP and cholesterol meds because of my weight. I went on a serious diet and couldn't lose, went to several hypnotists and couldn't lose, in fact, I gained more. So, I opted for surgery. I don't know how old you are, but believe me, age works against a person. When I was younger, this surgery wasn't available. I wish it had been. Although, I'm not too far out (3/12/12), I know I'm going to be glad I had this done. Better late than never. From what I understand, the Hair loss is temporary, and you can do supplements to minimize it. And, since the health aspect of losing weight is the most important thing to me, I think....no one has ever had a stroke from thin hair! So, hair loss is unfortunate, but secondary of concern to me, at least.