Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Can't Do This Pre Op Diet!

I am going to murder someone before Friday gets here! If I cannot have anything solid and no carbs or sugars why can't I have meat? Why does it HAVE to be liquid only? Shouldn't the no carb, no sugar shrink the liver enough? Did any of you "cheat" before your surgery? I ate a bite of chicken.< /p>

It is super hard today is day one.....just gotta remember it will be worth it in the end

It is hard. I cheated twice: one bite of cheese and one piece of Werthers candy. Then I realized, it is a slippery slope and I will never stop, unless I stop. So I stayed the course and made it all the way, and I was so proud of myself.

If you're gonna cheat, drink an extra shake.

Best of luck!

Stick to it...not sure what day you're on of liquids but it does get easier about 3-4 days into it because you stop craving the carbs and sugars...I'm not sure on 'why not meats' but my guess is just because they want you 'detoxed' and cleaned out really well prior to surgery....if the doc ordered it I'd follow it to the 'T' so that you are doing your part to make the surgery go as smooth as possible! You can do it - hang in there!! Just keep thinking about the end goal! This is a BIG event and you are prepping your body for the ride of its life!!!!

I feel your pain! End of day one for me and I just want a sandwich and chips! Anything worth having is hard though...we've gotta keep pushing.

I am going to murder someone before Friday gets here! If I cannot have anything solid and no carbs or sugars why can't I have meat? Why does it HAVE to be liquid only? Shouldn't the no carb' date=' no sugar shrink the liver enough? Did any of you "cheat" before your surgery? I ate a bite of chicken.[/quote']

I didn't do the every day Proteins shakes because I just said goodbye to food so I chose my favorite meals and really try to Say goodbye to the relationship with food but I don't know what advantages it has on my liver. I cant imagine being anything substantial with a two-week diet so I can't do it, thought id be there to let you know you're not feeling one. Surgery is tomorrow

Skinnynaked, if it helps at all I can answer your question..... One of the livers many jobs is production of bile, and many other products that the body uses to process food. The more you eat, the more difficult for the food to be converted to usable energy for the body then the larger the liver has to become to meet the needs of your body. The liver also metabolizes (breaks down) many drugs, and toxins among other things, this is also why your doctor might ask you to discontinue most medications before surgery. The location of the liver compared to that of the stomach is pretty much on top of it (well part of the liver anyway), so the less work your liver has to do the smaller it gets! Unfortunately because we are overweight our livers and other organs have hypertrophied (enlarged in size), so the goal is to shrink the liver because it already is enlarged, and that takes sometime. The liver is huge (I am in med school so I have seen tons of them), and even though it can regenerate itself and grow in size you don't want to injure it because it will lead to many more complications including bleeding, also if is too big it will cause the surgeon more difficulties during surgery because he then has to work harder at keeping it out of the way and might cause them to injure another organ or something like that. Cheating once or twice is not going to kill you but like the other people said we do this because we are desperate to loose weight and we have tried everything there is, you can do it (and I can do it too because I will be doing it soon). If we start cheating now it will make it easier in our unconscious mind to do it again later when it can literally hurt us. I hope this information helps you, I know that for me I do better when I know the why. Good luck and hang in there, you are not alone, many have done it before us and we can do it too!

tHANKS YOUtHANKS YOU ALL FOR YOUR RESPONSES! It truely helps to just be reminded of the entire goal, and not just the "right now" My surgery is Friday and I will fly from Va to Ca tomorrow away from my two small children and I feel like I have just dumped my "boyfriend" food that I have depended on for so many years. I am struggling today. It can only get better from here :) Once you've hit rock bottom the only way to go is up and I am looking forward to a fun filled active summer with my children. All thanks to my separation from my relationship from food and my new sleeve. I cannot wait for the day that my mind set changes from loving food to needing foor only to survive.

My pre-op diet is no carbs or sugars, but I was told to eat meat. I can have eggs, cheese, meat, green veggies... It's not liquid at all. So weird how different all of the different doctors are in requirements.