Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Voices Of Experience- Obsessing Over Mfp

Hey all- Ok...I have an issue that I need to figure out. Right at three weeks I hit a stall just like I expected. I knew it was coming and I was gonna kick its butt!! Well, two weeks and one day later, there's no kicking. Only stalling. Well, I can deal with that I suppose, because I know this HAS to work. I'm eating between 600- 800 calories a day, and it's all light, low fat, sugar free and I have my Proteins first. I'm pretty confident that I'm eating right. I also go to the gym three times a week. I need to work on walking on the off days, and drinking more.

That aside...I think logging my food every day on My Fitness Pal is putting me in a downward spiral of despair. I can SEE that I'm doing everything right and still the scale's not moving. I think i need to take a step back from the scale and from the food logging for a while. I know it's a valuable tool, but I think it's doing more harm than good right now.

To be clear...I know I'm doing all the right things. I know the stall will break. I just need advice on whether to stop logging every microbe that enters my mouth right now. I feel the need to log the dust I inhale. I feel legally bound to log food. Can I stop for a while???

I would sick with it. I promise it will pass. I so understand where you are. I was getting so sad everyday stepping on that scale for weeks. I was positive I had failed at this, but thankfully I couldn't give up. When it broke I was losing 1.5-2 pounds a day. Hang in there don't stress I'm sure it's just your body protesting. You will get through this!

*stick with it

I would stick with it too. Just take a deep breath, say "This too, shall pass" and do not obsess over the numbers. When I got on the scale and there was no movement, I said to myself, "Oh well, not today, maybe tomorrow." IT WILL COME OFF. Just be patient, sometimes your body needs a little breather from all the metabolic changes it's going through.

Keep logging, breathe and remember stalls are normal. It's our body's way to adapt to our weight loss. It loves to add, hates to lose. It's first survival instinct is to protect the body and it needs the fat to live. However our survival instinct doesn't know how overweight I am and everytime I lose, it tries to hold on!! Lol, keep doing what your doing. Stay hydrated and walk more. This will pass, GL :)

Thanks for the encouragement ladies! Tiffykins posted something earlier about the WHYs of the stall and the scientific happenings in the body. Made a lot of sense and I feel much better about it! I was just worried I was obsessing over the food log. I get crazy with stuff sometimes, and I didn't know if this was one of those things. I'll keep on it.

Well, I will say that I have never logged my food and I do my best to stay off the scale during the week. The only thing I keep track of is my Protein and my liquids, though I am conscious to make sure I don't overdo carbs (which really I hardly have any since I don't have room after my protein).

The reason I chose not to log was because it was too much. Between the Protein and the Water and the logging and the this and the that... it was too much like another diet, and how could I keep that up for the rest of my life? Instead I am careful with what I eat at each "meal" and make sure at the end of the day that I got in all my protein. It worked for me and it helped keep my nerves and stress down. I am also currently in a stall and I know I am doing everything right. I am staying off the scale for another week or else I'm going to drive myself crazy!

Also, as you get further along, when you hit stalls you'll start to see patterns (like, is it that TOM) or you'll stall but then drop a size or two (which makes the stall sooo worth it) or you're tops will be looser etc.

Good luck, you'll get through this before you know it!

Try going on a liquid diet for a week to break the stall

I actually thought about that. It's not entirely out of the question either! ;) Earlier today I read that the stall is almost necessary for the glycogen stores to come back to the muscle from the fat stores, along with the 8 lbs of Water necessary to make it soluble, so I'm confident it will break very soon. I just need to not be a freak. :lol: I must be patient.

I stopped logging my food on MFP for two weeks and broke my stall.

Hey all- Ok...I have an issue that I need to figure out. Right at three weeks I hit a stall just like I expected. I knew it was coming and I was gonna kick its butt!! Well, two weeks and one day later, there's no kicking. Only stalling. Well, I can deal with that I suppose, because I know this HAS to work. I'm eating between 600- 800 calories a day, and it's all light, low fat, sugar free and I have my Proteins first. I'm pretty confident that I'm eating right. I also go to the gym three times a week. I need to work on walking on the off days, and drinking more.

That aside...I think logging my food every day on My Fitness Pal is putting me in a downward spiral of despair. I can SEE that I'm doing everything right and still the scale's not moving. I think i need to take a step back from the scale and from the food logging for a while. I know it's a valuable tool, but I think it's doing more harm than good right now.

To be clear...I know I'm doing all the right things. I know the stall will break. I just need advice on whether to stop logging every microbe that enters my mouth right now. I feel the need to log the dust I inhale. I feel legally bound to log food. Can I stop for a while???

I want to add too that STRESS is a big factor in weight stalling. Our bodies are already freaked out right out of surgery as we drastically reduce the calorie intake, Water stores are depleted as we wipe out our sugar stores... it's not helpful to "worry" ourselves so much that it becomes obsessive.

I am not opposed to anyone taking a break from logging our foods. Nor am I opposed to anyone throwing their scales out the window!! As long as you keep some kind of record, then that's all that's really needed. Some will only weigh-in monthly. I have to admit, I weighed daily but I did my best to keep the stresses of it under control. I wasn't perfect but it never got to the point where I was pulling what little hair I had left on my head out!!

Anyway, back to the month weigh'ers... they seem like very calm, collected people. So are the people who don't stress themselves over logging day in and day out. I couldn't do that either. I only used that tool (and still do) when I needed to keep track to get be BACK on track. Once I did that, I just simply followed sleever rules - which are Protein first, Veggies/Fruits next then if there's any room left, a few bites of carbs. I did my best to make those better choices too.

It all worked well for me. I went through it all too. I stalled, I fell off track a few times, I cried when I couldn't hit Onederland in a day... I mean, yeah it's frustrating. But, long story short, I'm here. You will be too, just remain patient and stress free. Trust me, it makes the ride here a whole lot better.

Enjoy the scenery. :)

Hi there, just "weighing in" here. When I was leaving the hospital, the nutritionist told me, "No more counting calories", which was a big relief to me. I know I am not the most successful loser on the board, but I am relieved to not have to log and count food anymore. Otherwise, I am pretty sure I would obsess, obsess, obsess. Maybe take a break from the logging, as suggested?

I do confess to weighing each day, but I don't care too much what it says anymore. It is coming off slowly, but surely.

I want to add too that STRESS is a big factor in weight stalling. Our bodies are already freaked out right out of surgery as we drastically reduce the calorie intake, Water stores are depleted as we wipe out our sugar stores... it's not helpful to "worry" ourselves so much that it becomes obsessive.

I am not opposed to anyone taking a break from logging our foods. Nor am I opposed to anyone throwing their scales out the window!! As long as you keep some kind of record, then that's all that's really needed. Some will only weigh-in monthly. I have to admit, I weighed daily but I did my best to keep the stresses of it under control. I wasn't perfect but it never got to the point where I was pulling what little hair I had left on my head out!!

Anyway, back to the month weigh'ers... they seem like very calm, collected people. So are the people who don't stress themselves over logging day in and day out. I couldn't do that either. I only used that tool (and still do) when I needed to keep track to get be BACK on track. Once I did that, I just simply followed sleever rules - which are Protein first, Veggies/Fruits next then if there's any room left, a few bites of carbs. I did my best to make those better choices too.

It all worked well for me. I went through it all too. I stalled, I fell off track a few times, I cried when I couldn't hit Onederland in a day... I mean, yeah it's frustrating. But, long story short, I'm here. You will be too, just remain patient and stress free. Trust me, it makes the ride here a whole lot better.

Enjoy the scenery. :)

Hi there, just "weighing in" here. When I was leaving the hospital, the nutritionist told me, "No more counting calories", which was a big relief to me. I know I am not the most successful loser on the board, but I am relieved to not have to log and count food anymore. Otherwise, I am pretty sure I would obsess, obsess, obsess. Maybe take a break from the logging, as suggested?

I do confess to weighing each day, but I don't care too much what it says anymore. It is coming off slowly, but surely.

Like salve on a burn.....thank you, ladies..... :) :wub:

I have never been big on logging my food either. It just doesn't suit me or my lifestyle, and isn't something I want to do for the rest of my life. But, right now, I am logging it because I got out of control with my eating for a while. In order to bring myself back to where I need to be, I know I need to physically log and see what I am putting in my mouth and how it is affecting me. But, once I get back into my good habits and am back on track, I will probably stop logging again too.

I'm a scale conscious, calorie counting maniac... most times!!! I need to stop!!! LOL.. Not weighing each day.. but I think about it... I don't log on weekends, but I keep a very good tally in my head... and I'm counting at the table... I think my friends think I'm praying.. but I'm adding and subtracting calories!!!

I was told to STOP counting too.. but I guess it hasn't clicked yet!! LOL

I was told to stop logging because then it would seem like I was on a life-long diet and that's not what this is all about. I find it easier for me to lose if I don't log my food and weigh each day. That way I can see if I am staying on track by my weight. I have never gained any since. I seem to lose more when I don't log my food, because, again, it makes me think like I am on a diet and that is a mental trigger for me and adds to stress because then I OBSESS! I am not on a diet. I have changed my eating plan drastically for the rest of my life. If for some reason I was to gain a pound, then I would know what I ate yesterday that could have caused it. But I cannot even get in 900 calories a day and I am just over 3 months out, so I know I am not over eating or eating the wrong things. It just depends on what works for you and I will always be an everyday weigher! Everyone's body reacts differently so you need to do what works for you!