Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LapBand Corrosion and breakdown???

:) I recently had a conversation with someone seeking a Gastric-bypass. Her provider warned her against the LapBand; stating that over time the materials corroid and breakdown, resulting in the need for more surgery. Has anyone else been told this? :phanvan

Sounds like hooey to me. There are no end of different kinds of implants used in modern medicine, and I've never heard of one corroding. Hip replacements, Breast implants, etc, all of that stuff is made of inert materials.

:) I recently had a conversation with someone seeking a Gastric-bypass. Her provider warned her against the LapBand; stating that over time the materials corroid and breakdown, resulting in the need for more surgery. Has anyone else been told this? :phanvan

I'd be interested in which surgery the provider does. I'm finding a lot of doctors have their own agendas, for whatever reasons.

There are a couple of people in a support group I've been to who have been banded over 8 years, and are fine. I suppose it could break down over time, if it does I'll look at having it replaced. That just seems better for me then the bypass.

I would like to order 1 bio degradable lap band please with a side of a pacemaker made of recyclable materials. Thank you

Thanks! It didn't make much sense to me either, but I didn't want to discourage her from doing SOMETHING. She's really pumped about it. She's being treated @ a Naval Hospital, and it could very well be an issue with their (Navy Medicine) preferred method of treatment. I just wish that bias providers would cease spreading bad info too thier patients.

8 Years?

Where are you, or where is your current support group?

Because the most common (and only currently FDA approved) LapBand is the Inamed LapBand and it just *barely* made the Five Year anniversary of approval.

Most of the banders I see who are banded longer than 5-6 years (that's only if they were in the initial FDA group) were banded outside of the country, commonly Mexico. They are normally banded with a different type of band than US patients.

Just an FYI.

I'd be interested in which surgery the provider does. I'm finding a lot of doctors have their own agendas, for whatever reasons.

There are a couple of people in a support group I've been to who have been banded over 8 years, and are fine. I suppose it could break down over time, if it does I'll look at having it replaced. That just seems better for me then the bypass.

8 Years?

Where are you, or where is your current support group?

Because the most common (and only currently FDA approved) LapBand is the Inamed LapBand and it just *barely* made the Five Year anniversary of approval.

Most of the banders I see who are banded longer than 5-6 years (that's only if they were in the initial FDA group) were banded outside of the country, commonly Mexico. They are normally banded with a different type of band than US patients.

Just an FYI.

Ah, I didn't realize it's a different band, thanks. Yes, those I'm talking about did go to Mexico. I kniew it had only been approved here for about 5 years.

I'm going through the NWWLS in Everett Wa. One of their staff has been banded 8 years, a couple of people I've met in the support group have too.

I know one person, who was part of the original FDA trials, who has experienced something kind of like this. I don't know the exact details/composition specifics, but essentially the integrity of her band failed and, long story short, her band shrunk to where even unfilled, she was unable to pass her own saliva.

Her sister was banded on the same day, same surgeon, etc. and to date has no problems.

I'm wondering if your friend is getting corrosion and erosion mixed up. When I was researching the band and I heard about it eroding, I thought that meant the band itself eroded.

I have seen other newbies on LBT make the same assumption.

Either way, erosion is a complication that doesn't happen to the vast majority of banded people and it should be presented as a complication, not as a certainty!

I'm wondering if your friend is getting corrosion and erosion mixed up. When I was researching the band and I heard about it eroding, I thought that meant the band itself eroded.

I have seen other newbies on LBT make the same assumption.

Either way, erosion is a complication that doesn't happen to the vast majority of banded people and it should be presented as a complication, not as a certainty!

Linda,

I am one of those newbies! Will you please explain erosion to me? I assumed people meant the band started disenegrating or something! Please explain!

The band begins to erode into the organ - kind of wears through it. I, too, when I first heard the term assumed it meant the band itself erodes.

You can always do a search on anything you want to find on this site by simply typing in the word (EX: Erosion) and it will pull up all the threads about that word.

Erosion = Can be varied in how it happens. No known consistent signs or symptoms are associated with this complication. Some experience loss of restriction, although that was NOT my case. Some have heartburn more than the norm, we are talking extreme cases here, also NOT my case. Often (NOT ALWAYS) times if you experience complications with the port area there is a good chance you MIGHT erode later. Complications with the port are something like infections, revisions, early on in the process. I had a weird issue wiht my port where it tilted and the tubing was ALMOST popping through my skin. My MX surgeon ignored the situation so I changed to a US Surgeon and he repositioned the port and I had the band for another 16 months. Once the Erosion was diagnosed (By and Endoscopy) we (my surgeon and I) determined it was most likely caused by the initial infection and tllted port complication I had early on.

Definition = The Band is placed around the outside of the stomach wall. Some kind of irritant (infection, leak in the wall, stitch, rubbing due to not properly placed, etc) can wear down the area and cause a hole into the stomach. The band is considered at that time to have Eroded the stomach wall and is inside the stomach wall. It may or may not be noticable on an ENdoscopy at that time. Mine was about 40% Eroded into my Stomach. I have pictures where you can actually see the band from inside the stomach. Pretty impressive. Pretty darn scary too.

Repair = They take the band off. Repair the hole in the stomach. You are to take it easy for several days wiht your diet. You really want to let that hole heal properly before you eat a steak. liquid for a week then soft mushie foods then on to regular diet.

Now all of the above is what I learned about Erosion (NOT CORROSION) while going through it personally. Everyone has different opinions and experiences. So I just offered my knowledge on the situation. Hope this helps.

By the way, I wish I had chosen Bypass instead. I would be at goal weight right now I am sure. And a LapBand is NOT in my future due to previous scaring from the first surgery which is normal. The landmarks are not as easily definable the second time and the chances of Eroding again are higher. I am now considering a bypass as my next option.

I have pictures where you can actually see the band from inside the stomach. Pretty impressive. Pretty darn scary too.

Hi Penni,

Have you posted the pictures online or anything, cause I'd be really interested to see what it looks like!

mandi