Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where Are My April 2012 Sleevers?

Ok so I need to talk to my April peeps!

I am at 5 weeks today. I have lost somewhere around 42 lbs including pre-op loss.

Starting last week....I started getting really nauseous....pretty much all the time. I had my 4 week post op appt last Thursday. I talked to the doc about it and he said sometimes that happens when you start on solids, which I had started that Tuesday. He also said the Vitamins could have contributed to the nausea.

Ok so I have seriously fallen off the wagon. Water is nasty, even flavored water....my Protein Shakes are making me feel sick. I haven't gotten my water or Protein in in about a week. I had been so so OCD about keeping track of everything I was eating in a handwritten food journal. I haven't written anything in there in about a week. I have been just trying not to get sick. I haven't had my Multi-Vitamin since last Thursday because it makes me feel the worst. I'm barely eating.....just cause well, for 1, I'm not hungry and ,for 2, it makes me feel like crap.

I know I've got to get back on it for my health....but dang I'm tired of feeling yucky!

And I so wish I could find something I liked to drink. The only thing tasty I can think of is.......mountain dew......and I'm not about to let myself go there. I wish I could figure iut how to get my water and protein in.

I'm really frustrated....not sorry about my decision to do this. Just frustrated! Uggghhhhhh!

Suggestions please! :)

First, I have had crappy weight loss. I was 5 wks postop yesterday. In 3 wks, I have lost 1 pound. I gained weight while in the hospital for sleeve, admitted weighing 203, came home at 210. I now weigh 189. I started preop diet weighing 213. So, I have lost a total of 24 pounds. Your 49 sounds pretty damn good to me! :)

in the last couple weeks, I wake up every day with burning in my throat. And then through most of the day, as well as throughout the day. I feel like I have a lump at the base of my throat. When I start to eat, it can get worse with burning. I know this is probably acid reflux, and I am already taking an antacid. I will be calling the surgeon's office tomorrow to find out if this is normal at this stage. I also get nauseous at times. These things are turning me off food so I hardly want to eat anything at all even though I am forcing myself. I go from tolerating Protein Drinks to barely being able to swallow them without gagging. I too had been tracking everything I ate, along with nutrition facts, but haven't been doing that the last week or so. It seems I have a good day followed by 1 or 2 bad days before a good day again. I'm hoping the surgeon will have some answers for me and also that this is just another phase to get through.

Like you, I'm not sorry and don't regret my decision for sleeve, just frustrated, a little worried, and wanting to understand what's going on.

Joni......I believe you and I were sleeved the same day.....April 24th?

Wonder if this is something people go through at 5 weeks or so?

I'm absolutely not complaining about my weight loss. More than anything I'm worried about my health.

When I do eat I get that feeling in my throat that your talking about. Not really the burning so much as the lump in my throat. I always feel like I'm trying to fight off throwing up. The doc said to make sure I'm measuring everything. I should only be eating 2 oz or 1/4 cup. I get that feeling even when I measure. I'm wondering if I need to just fight through that feeling and just keep on eating and maybe one day that feeling will just go away?

Like you I am so frustrated and am not even concerned with eating. I think I'm gonna call my doc tomorrow and ask if I can switch antacids. Maybe both of us r just having a problem with antacid.

The only thing I've been able to eat with no problem is watermelon.....and man its wonderful. I'm not even supposed to be eating that yet.

Good luck, Joni! I hate ur feeling bad also. Maybe we can both get some answers from our surgeons. We'll get through this....I'm sure of it! :)

Joni......I believe you and I were sleeved the same day.....April 24th?

Wonder if this is something people go through at 5 weeks or so?

I'm absolutely not complaining about my weight loss. More than anything I'm worried about my health.

When I do eat I get that feeling in my throat that your talking about. Not really the burning so much as the lump in my throat. I always feel like I'm trying to fight off throwing up. The doc said to make sure I'm measuring everything. I should only be eating 2 oz or 1/4 cup. I get that feeling even when I measure. I'm wondering if I need to just fight through that feeling and just keep on eating and maybe one day that feeling will just go away?

Like you I am so frustrated and am not even concerned with eating. I think I'm gonna call my doc tomorrow and ask if I can switch antacids. Maybe both of us r just having a problem with antacid.

The only thing I've been able to eat with no problem is watermelon.....and man its wonderful. I'm not even supposed to be eating that yet.

Good luck, Joni! I hate ur feeling bad also. Maybe we can both get some answers from our surgeons. We'll get through this....I'm sure of it! :)

Read posts and blogs by MeginNOLA...she was sick until 7 weeks out and she talks about antacids, and she really has a lot of great tips. She was kind enough to message me her diet...and gave me some great pointers. I am sure she will be happy to address these issues with y'all. She has a lot of posts about the same things...

There is also an in topic: You need to know what I just discovered, that covers some of these issues, also.

But MeginNOLA makes iced coffee, with a little Hershey's lite Syrup, and I went out and bought it to try the iced coffee idea. I do mine in the blender, coffee, 1/2 scoop of chocolate whey Protein, splenda, ice, cinnamon, all blended up and then when I pour it in my cup, I squirt a little syrup on it...it is really good.

There is also an in topic: You need to know what I just discovered, that covers some of these issues, also.

But MeginNOLA makes iced coffee, with a little Hershey's lite Syrup, and I went out and bought it to try the iced coffee idea. I do mine in the blender, coffee, 1/2 scoop of chocolate whey Protein, splenda, ice, cinnamon, all blended up and then when I pour it in my cup, I squirt a little syrup on it...it is really good.

I also use a little ff milk.

she also suggested roasted vegetables and tells how to do it. She also gives a lot of good tips on foods that made her feel bad, which most of them are the same for everybody, I think...flour and pastas and rice being some of the main culprits. Anyway, just check out her posts.:)

First, I have had crappy weight loss. I was 5 wks postop yesterday. In 3 wks, I have lost 1 pound. I gained weight while in the hospital for sleeve, admitted weighing 203, came home at 210. I now weigh 189. I started preop diet weighing 213. So, I have lost a total of 24 pounds. Your 49 sounds pretty damn good to me! :)

in the last couple weeks, I wake up every day with burning in my throat. And then through most of the day, as well as throughout the day. I feel like I have a lump at the base of my throat. When I start to eat, it can get worse with burning. I know this is probably acid reflux, and I am already taking an antacid. I will be calling the surgeon's office tomorrow to find out if this is normal at this stage. I also get nauseous at times. These things are turning me off food so I hardly want to eat anything at all even though I am forcing myself. I go from tolerating Protein drinks to barely being able to swallow them without gagging. I too had been tracking everything I ate, along with nutrition facts, but haven't been doing that the last week or so. It seems I have a good day followed by 1 or 2 bad days before a good day again. I'm hoping the surgeon will have some answers for me and also that this is just another phase to get through.

Like you, I'm not sorry and don't regret my decision for sleeve, just frustrated, a little worried, and wanting to understand what's going on.

Joni, I think your weight loss is great. I didn't lose much either. The pre-op week of liquids, I didn't lose an ounce. I had lost ten pounds at one week post-op, but that was two weeks of liquids, one of which was clear liquids...And then recently, I did not lose a single pound for 18 straight days...then, I got on the scale and I had lost ten pounds overnight. I am 7 weeks out yesterday, and I have lost a total of 40 pounds, including the 7 pounds before my pre-op liquid diet. So really, only 33 since surgery...but, hey, I will take it...I would not have lost this much before surgery, and I can tell I am losing every single day. It may not show on the scale, but I know it is coming off. Also, my attitude is better, and I really do feel better...one of my NSVs was painting my own toenails and doing my own pedicure...my energy is still not 100 percent, but I am getting stronger every day, and you will too...and 24 pounds is awesome...

Hey, Joni and Ltarlton, I added y'all to my conversation with MeginNola so you could read some of her great advice...

Hey, Joni and Ltarlton, I added y'all to my conversation with MeginNola so you could read some of her great advice...

Thank you so much kiki19! You have given some awesome information. I will definitely take a look at MeginNola. I need all the help I can get. I feel like I'm slipping. I have had a few bites of chips just because I felt like I needed that salt.....or something. Maybe I just wanted to see if it would make me feel better, but I feel so guilty because the past week I have done so awful. I don't want to fall into any bad habits......ESPECIALLY this early in my journey!

Thank you again!

Hi Ltarlton,

I know how you feel! I was sleeved on April 10 and the first several weeks were hard with liquids, but that's what you have to do, so that's what I did. Then I got to go to mushies - which was also hard, but again, you do what you've gotta do. Now I'm 7 weeks out.

I used to wake up, planning my food for the day. Hmm..maybe four slices of toast with some hot cocoa, gotta go to target, get a few bags of chips, maybe tostitos and a jar of cheese for a morning snack, etc. Now food is a job. Something I'm annoyed with when it's time to eat. Nothing sounds good and I'm so tired of Protein Shakes. When it is time to eat, I'm annoyed I have to find something to eat and then I end up eating too fast and not feeling great.

My NUT is also super strict. She said we shouldn't even eat flavored yogurt because it has (pause for dramatic music) SUGAR in it. Now I understand our desire to lose weight but I'm thinking a low fat yogurt with a bit of sugar probably isn't what got us in this positon in the first place. (refer to bag of chips reference!)

On a more positive note :) I have found that each week, food gets easier to tolerate. My first mushie food was hummus from my favorite restaurant. I was so disappointed! It tasted gross, I couldn't have any flat bread, and now, four weeks later, hummus is a great snack. I tend to think "Ok, the surgery is done, let's get back to normal" but I'm afraid normal is going to take a while and some experimentation.

Hi all,

Sleeved 04/21. Highest weight recorded at 92kg today i weigh in at 75 kg! Mostly lost in the first week,then the scale slowed down... I thought i stalled, but i guess its just losing soooooo darn slowly, i stepped on my wii for a more accurate measurement and realise another 1 kg lost in a week.

1kg a week seem rather slow to me. my bmi is currently @ 26. Because im an asian, my standard bmi should be btw 19-23... So still gotta work on it!!

Love the sleeve, love this forum, love this thread, love all of u! C'mon people we can do this!!

Oops, out of curiosity, does anyone encounter the same issue?

I have strange appetite and it differs every 2-3 days. For eg: for 2-3 days i can hardly have 3 tablespoon of food each meal. Then the next 2-3 days, i have very good appetite!

Its so frustrating to plan my meal...

I saw my surgeon a few days ago and explained my situation... All he said was " i recommend you dontneat so much"

Wth?? He didn't even ask what i was eating everymeal.

Im either on fish, chicken breasts... All steamed or beancurd!! And just 1 -2 oz of it each time. I get hungrynevery 2-3 hours too... Is that ok? Am i over eating?

Down 24 lbs as of today-- happy about it but having a rough day so I'll Celebrate tomorrow

Oops, out of curiosity, does anyone encounter the same issue?

I have strange appetite and it differs every 2-3 days. For eg: for 2-3 days i can hardly have 3 tablespoon of food each meal. Then the next 2-3 days, i have very good appetite!

Its so frustrating to plan my meal...

I saw my surgeon a few days ago and explained my situation... All he said was " i recommend you dontneat so much"

Wth?? He didn't even ask what i was eating everymeal.

Im either on fish, chicken breasts... All steamed or beancurd!! And just 1 -2 oz of it each time. I get hungrynevery 2-3 hours too... Is that ok? Am i over eating?

That's the way it is...Some days, I don't really even feel like eating, and then other days, I am starving...some days, a little; some a lot....just listen to your sleeve. It gets easier and easier....