Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really Freaked Out

So I have a really crazy question. When they remove 85% of your stomach what happens to the space that is left after they remove it? Do your other organs shift to accomodate the extra space? Just a thought that keeps running through my mind. My surgery is May 3 and the closer it gets the more crazy things I seem to worry about. I am really really nervous.

I have a final appointment with my surgeon on April 17. I hate to go in there like a crazy women asking a bunch of crazy questions. LOL I am truely worried about this can anyone help me?

I am sure that the rest of your organs have more room to live. I did notice that immediately after surgery that my stomach that I could see was smaller and not as bulging. There of course was some swelling to the stomach but I do not think that the loss of your stomach should worry you. They have been taking appendix, gallbladders and other organs out for a long time and this has not caused any problems for other with extra room in your body cavity.

each organ is

fixed by ligaments & vessls

covered by omentum and peritonum

so no organ will move from its

site

so no problem

An uninflated (unfull) stomach is flat and really doesn't take up much room. The swelling that occurs after stapling is also fairly minimal.

When women are pregnant, their organs do move somewhat to accomandate the baby. So I believe that our organs have a little more room. ;)

Thanks everyone. I feel better now. Until the next crazy question that pops in my head..LOL

I just cant believe all of the crazy things I keep thinking about.

I had a lapband in 2008 I never thought about any weird stuff but this surgery I keep thinking of all kinds of crazy stuff.

I know I will be fine. I have one of the best surgeons I could possibly have so I have no fear of his ability to do the surgery and to be able to take care of me.

I think most of my crazy stuff is just nerves. I am so afraid of waking up in horrible pain. I can handle pain once I am awake I just dont want to come out of surgery feeling like I am dying. I think that would send me into a complete panic attack. See here I go again with the crazy stuff. I really need to stop the WHAT IF...LOL

Thanks everyone for all of the support : )

You are SO not alone! I have been thinking and thinking..what if..what if..I'm petrified..then I read about things that have gone wrong..oh my gosh!

When I was pre-op, I was obsessed with whether or not I should wear underwear into the operating room--Isn't that crazy? Once I was in the hospital, I sort of came to my senses and realized that my worries about surgery had been focused on this one issue. I put on the gown they gave me (without underwear!) and never gave it another thought.

Funny, the little games our minds play on us so that we don't think about the bigger issues like our fear of dying, which is one of the really scary one for most of us. Instead we worry about nausea and phone service and pain meds...

foxbins

thats what i was thinking about all the days before surgery

and now im thiking did they strip all of our body or only our abdomen?

did they cover breast and thigh or not

It is my belief they cover you during surgery. If anybody ever finds out different I don't want to know. LOL

It is my belief they cover you during surgery. If anybody ever finds out different I don't want to know. LOL

I worked in surgery for nearly 20 years & can say that I never exposed any of my patient's longer or more than was absolutely necessary. We were sensitive to preserving the dignity of all our patients!

When I hand a tumor removed fromu breast, I was awake during it and they were very very concerned about keeping the unaffected areas covered. Even told me I could keep my shorts on!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

When I was preping for surgery they assured me that they would keep the salespersons out of the room when I was naked! I was strapped to a board and was standing upright during the surgery. It is a teaching hospital, and Im sure the room was packed with students... they were demonstrating robotic surgery on me for part of the time. No dignity, but I did it for science! My understanding was i was pretty much naked!

I figure that after 2 c-sections, my medical dignity is gone. And I also had an emergency back surgery where my hiney was up in the air. AND they had to flip me into that position after I was out.

I still have a pretty story in my head as to what will be seen and I guarantee you that when it's time for my surgery, I'll be waxed shaved and groomed! You know... Just in case. :)

To minimize infection, only the areas being accessed (incisions) are exposed. Everything else is draped with sterile cloth. That being said, the reason that the patient is usually "commando" is in an emergency you don't want anything slowing down access to where ever the doctors needs to go. Plus, the clothing is not sterile as well. I'm all for modesty, but in an emergency I don't want my dignity to get in the way. Having gone thru a post-op infection in the past, I want everything as sterile as possible, including my "naughty bits".