Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having To Rethink My Choice Of Surgeons

Hello again,

I was very, very excited to decide on Dr Aceves for my surgery. But it appears my fortunes have changed and I will have to take cost into consideration, which...annoys me, at the minimum.

Before I continue: YES - I understand that no price is too much to pay for my health. YES - I agree that I deserve the "best money can buy". NO - I DO NOT have a way to get more money...at all. $6k is my cap and will be as such for a while, for reasons I don't care to discuss on a public forum :angry: (why does life hate me this much?!?). YES - Now is the best time in the next 18 months to look at surgery. There will be no better time than the next 2 months to get this done and get on with my life.

That being said, I'm looking for some help. I understand that there's been some patient drama regarding Dr Kelly, he no longer has a coordinator, etc etc. I'm not sure if he's on my "short list" or not yet. I can't find much reliable info on him, his facilities and his post-op rate. Dr Garcia is on my "short list" - he operates out of a hospital (not clinic), seems to have good ratings - though not as much experience as others? Dr Almanza is not under consideration at all for me - I had a patient of his pass through my facility this past November, in bad shape due to post-op complications; she ended up on TPN and then with a gtube for nutrition for another 2 months after, plus IV antibiotics - she told quite a story regarding his "recovery house", of people having to sleep on the floor because there wasn't enough beds, no medical staff available, oncall MD being too drunk to be of use, etc. So he's off my list.

I am open to other suggestions. My main criteria is that I want surgery in a full-fledged hospital (not a clinic), and a surgeon that will provide decent follow up as needed. Someone I can get ahold of after surgery, who won't drop me like a hot tater!!

Comments and suggestions are gladly accepted - thank you in advance!

~Asche, the Crazy Cat Lady

I had to fire my first surgeon. His practice was unorganized and I felt they we out to squander all the money from me that they could. I'm not rich. Even though it took extra time I finished his program.

The manager even got approval for the surgery. This was all end of year. I was given two surge dates then cancelled. I feel they were trying to keep the 'surgery deposit' from my husbands surgery. Bunch of crap.

Well year ended and so did our relationship. I never looked back. I had my surgery on 2/22. It was the best decision of my life. I was very comfortable with my new doctor. Don't settle you are worth it.

I had Surgery with Dr Ponce at a full service hospital and only paid $5300. I think it was during a promotion. To this day I stiil recieve follow up care and am doing excellent. I highly recommend him and his team. I had Trish as my coordinator since I went alone and was nervous about going to Mexico on my own. I was referred by a friend to Trish and feel I made the best decision of my life.

I am going with Dr. Garcia and it is $5000. I have done alot of research and talked with alot of his patients that used him. I am pleased with my decision to use him. My surgery is May 7th.

We loved Dr. Garcia and the experience at Hospital MI Doctor on TJ and would use him again. We went through alma at Ready 4 a Change and she was great. My daughter feels like she never had surgery other than the fact she is never hungry and can only eat small amounts of food. She's lost about 50 lbs all together. She's very happy with her decision on both Dr. Garcia and having the VSG instead of any other WLS. I've heard really good things about Dr. Kelly also. Just deal with him directly. Either will take good care of you.

Take a look here http://www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/fernando-garcia/#profile_procedures

You'll see Dr. Garcia has a lot of experience doing WLS.

Good luck making your choice. I don't think you can go wrong with Garcia or Kelly.

I think Dr Kelly should certainly be on you're short list! He has over 14 years in bariatrics alone! He's been performing the sleeve surgery alone (not with the DS) for over six years. He does two leak tests while in surgery, and one two days later. He operates out of a very legit hospital, that has a full icu, and all the regular things you expect in a high quality facility. Your companion is given a double bed right in your room, and from what i've been told by several patients of his, that he abs his wife personally oversee your care, and your post-op care, Not a coordinator! His email address is wls-clinic@hotmail.com, and his number is 619-793-4869. His assistant is Anaid, very nice and helpful! I've never had to wait more than an hour for a response, even on weekends. Good luck in your search!

I had a wonderful experience with Dr Kelly, if you'd like to read about my experience, it's on my profile. I know it's a difficult decision, so good luck with whoever you decide on.

:)

I have yet to have my surgery (scheduled April 10! Dr. Aceves), but like most I have done a lot of research. Originally, I was going to go with Dr. Kelly--many patients just rave about him and I personally spoke to a few patients of his--all good, but because of some recent controversy on this forum on Dr. Kelly, unfortunatley, whether true or not I just was not comfortable with it. I have also read nothing but good about Dr. Garcia--the only near negative comment or info I saw on this forum was his total lenghth of practice time on his own in comparison to all the other top/most popular Doctors mentioned on this forum (Dr. Almanza, Alvarez, Kelly, Garcia, Aceves). Just keep digging and you will find a decision you are comfortable with!

I have yet to have my surgery (scheduled April 10! Dr. Aceves)' date=' but like most I have done a lot of research. Originally, I was going to go with Dr. Kelly--many patients just rave about him and I personally spoke to a few patients of his--all good, but because of some recent controversy on this forum on Dr. Kelly, unfortunatley, whether true or not I just was not comfortable with it. I have also read nothing but good about Dr. Garcia--the only near negative comment or info I saw on this forum was his total lenghth of practice time on his own in comparison to all the other top/most popular Doctors mentioned on this forum (Dr. Almanza, Alvarez, Kelly, Garcia, Aceves). Just keep digging and you will find a decision you are comfortable with![/quote']

I have my VSG April 10 with Dr Alvarez. It's $8900 but worth every penny.

Hello again' date='

I was very, very excited to decide on Dr Aceves for my surgery. But it appears my fortunes have changed and I will have to take cost into consideration, which...annoys me, at the minimum.

Before I continue: YES - I understand that no price is too much to pay for my health. YES - I agree that I deserve the "best money can buy". NO - I DO NOT have a way to get more money...at all. 6k is my cap and will be as such for a while, for reasons I don't care to discuss on a public forum :angry: (why does life hate me this much?!?). YES - Now is the best time in the next 18 months to look at surgery. There will be no better time than the next 2 months to get this done and get on with my life.

That being said, I'm looking for some help. I understand that there's been some patient drama regarding Dr Kelly, he no longer has a coordinator, etc etc. I'm not sure if he's on my "short list" or not yet. I can't find much reliable info on him, his facilities and his post-op rate. Dr Garcia is on my "short list" - he operates out of a hospital (not clinic), seems to have good ratings - though not as much experience as others? Dr Almanza is not under consideration at all for me - I had a patient of his pass through my facility this past November, in bad shape due to post-op complications; she ended up on TPN and then with a gtube for nutrition for another 2 months after, plus IV antibiotics - she told quite a story regarding his "recovery house", of people having to sleep on the floor because there wasn't enough beds, no medical staff available, oncall MD being too drunk to be of use, etc. So he's off my list.

I am open to other suggestions. My main criteria is that I want surgery in a full-fledged hospital (not a clinic), and a surgeon that will provide decent follow up as needed. Someone I can get ahold of after surgery, who won't drop me like a hot tater!!

~Asche, the Crazy Cat Lady[/quote']

I was in the same boat! I had $6000 to spend. Period. I narrowed it down to Dr Kelly and Dr Ponce de leon and decided to go with Dr Kelly. I had a friend sleeved the same day with Dr Ponce and she loved him. We were both lucky enough to have Trish taking care of us and she is worth her weigh in gold! I don't think you could go wrong with either one. Also, I was told that Mi Doctor is not an actual hospital. (Don't know if that's true) When I think of hospital I think of a place with several Dr's on site 24/7. Not just a bariatric Dr but a cardiologist, surgeons with other specialties,and Dr's or residents availble right on your floor.

I was told that Mi Doctor was a full service hospital. I chose Dr. Garcia and am very happy with my decision. I did alot of research with actuall patients so I think it will be great.

Hello again,

Before I continue: YES - I understand that no price is too much to pay for my health. YES - I agree that I deserve the "best money can buy". NO - I DO NOT have a way to get more money...at all. $6k is my cap and will be as such for a while, for reasons I don't care to discuss on a public forum :angry: (why does life hate me this much?!?). YES - Now is the best time in the next 18 months to look at surgery. There will be no better time than the next 2 months to get this done and get on with my life.

~Asche, the Crazy Cat Lady

I highly recommend Dr. Garcia my husband and myself have boyth had surgery with him in the past 4 weeks we were so impressed with the entire team of doctors and hospital staff the hospital is small but very clean...I had an allergic reaction to the anethesia and it was handle as I am still here..they are top notch in my opinion..I was extremly nervous and on the fence about which doctor to use..Do what I did call Dr.Garcia and have a phone interview with him (that is what I did)..Once I hung up the phone I had peace in knowing that he was the doctor for me...he charges 5000.00...If you have any other questions feel free to PM me. my friend who is on this forum had her surgery the same day as me and she is had a great experience as well..I know she would answer any questions for you as well her name is britt_bearpaw. Good luck in deciding who ever you chose..just remember that you will know it in your heart when you find the right one..also I wish I had done this years ao so dont wait too much longer..

I highly recommend Dr. Garcia my husband and myself have boyth had surgery with him in the past 4 weeks we were so impressed with the entire team of doctors and hospital staff the hospital is small but very clean...I had an allergic reaction to the anethesia and it was handle as I am still here..they are top notch in my opinion..I was extremly nervous and on the fence about which doctor to use..Do what I did call Dr.Garcia and have a phone interview with him (that is what I did)..Once I hung up the phone I had peace in knowing that he was the doctor for me...he charges 5000.00...If you have any other questions feel free to PM me. my friend who is on this forum had her surgery the same day as me and she is had a great experience as well..I know she would answer any questions for you as well her name is britt_bearpaw. Good luck in deciding who ever you chose..just remember that you will know it in your heart when you find the right one..also I wish I had done this years ao so dont wait too much longer..

P.S. I too wanted to go to Dr. Aceves but was not too thrilled with the long drive back to San Diego. I then thourghly researched Dr. Garcia as well as interviewing him on the phone before choosing him..also he only does 4 surgeries a day which is very important in choosing a doctor..

P.S. I too wanted to go to Dr. Aceves but was not too thrilled with the long drive back to San Diego. I then thourghly researched Dr. Garcia as well as interviewing him on the phone before choosing him..also he only does 4 surgeries a day which is very important in choosing a doctor..

Very well said.

I am with you CrazyCatLady, I thought of Dr. Aceves but he is also too high priced for me. My health is my priority, so if I don't do it with someone else I won't be able to afford it for at least one more year. I have always heard great things about Dr. Kelly, and yes I heard all the bad rumors out there too. I am a medical student currently, and thankfully I know what kind of questions to ask, I just called Dr. Kelly and spoke to his assistant, he should be calling me soon (he is seeing patients who recently had surgery). According to his secretary the rumors have been sent out by the people who used to represent him, I have looked and read a lot of those posts and they do seem to have something against him. I know that if those things where true he would had lost his membership to the american associations and he has not (I looked). If someone is that serious about him being dangerous they would had reported him (specially since most of his practice is for american patients), I have not found any reliable negative information about Dr. Kelly. I am hispanic and I know for a fact that most Mexican and other hispanic hospitals has well as facilities are manipulated by money, even more so than here in the USA. A doctor might loose his privileges in a hospital if he refuses to pay what they want (regardless if he is a good or bad surgeon). Here in the USA is very different, they do background checks and the like. I don't know if he has lost his privileges in hospitals or not and honestly its pointless to call a "hospital" in Mexico and ask (there were some numbers posted in another forum) because you don't really know where you are calling and what they have to gain/loose from their info.

There are great risks associated with this and any other surgery and even just any medical treatment, and there are so many others that we just don't know about because the VGS is so new. For me I know the risks (and trust me when I say most surgeons here in the US kill, and have great many complications all of the time, we are human and even the best can and will sometime in their career have complications). I am doing my own research and if at the end I feel I need to wait a year to have the surgery here in the states (I actually think most surgeons in mexico are better qualified to perform this surgery since they have had much more practice) or else where then I will, but so far I am really leaning towards Dr. Kelly, unless I find something scary in my continued research. I will keep you posted if you would like.