Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I am on day 7 post op, and I still have some pain in my left shoulder. I have read here that someone had a leak and the only symptom was shoulder pain.

My pain is not a constant pain; it happens most often when I burp, then it is a sharp pain in the middle of the front of my shoulder. Most of my other gas symptoms are gone, I don't have the rolling inside that I did yesterday and before.

I have taken my temperature daily, and there has been no fever. Should I be alarmed that this pain may be the only symptom of a leak?

Today I am starting to feel much more alive, I just don't want to miss a symptom.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

That shoulder pain is from the internal gas they pump in you during the surgery so they can operate easier. They try to get it all out, but they don't get every bit. It's not directly IN the stomach so, the only thing you can do is walk and walk and that helps it reabsorb into your body. It just takes a few days to go away sometimes. I think what you're having is the 'normal' shoulder pain. (There IS a shoulder pain indicative of a leak, but I seriously don't think this is it. I thought the same thing the first week. ;) )

Thanks so much, Ladies. That is kind of what I figure...I don't want to go crazy over every ache and pain, but...

Yes - your abdomen is filled with carbon dioxide to create a "cavity" to work in. The CO2 irritates the end of the phrenic nerve in your abdomen (near the diaphragm IIRC) and most likely causes a referred pain toward the other end near the shoulder (actually terminating on the sides of the neck, which is why you might also feel something similar to a "pinched nerve" along with the shoulder pain).

Gas-X is ingested and is not going to have any effect on surgical gas at all. It is completely ineffective outside of your intestinal tract. If it does seem to act on the surgical gas/pain, it is 100% a placebo effect.

Taking Gas-X for surgical gas pain is like putting a band-aid on your knee because your spleen is bleeding.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches