Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Quick question.... Is my dr office the only one that reccomends a "no carb" regimen?? The only have us eating 1 meal per day, other 2 meals are Protein Shakes. Does it really matter if I eat a lil bit of carbs my stomach can only hold a couple of ounces anyway??

You'll get mixed responses to this question. :) My nutritionist didn't have any guidelines relative to low or no-carb . . . but many others do stick to a very low-carb diet. I find that I have to stay low-carb simply because I don't have room to eat many carbs once I get my Protein & veggies in, but I'm not sure whether or not it impacts my weight loss one way or the other.

Thanks... I really dont want to go against my regimen, but im so craving for a lil spaghetti. Even if i have to use the ground turkey. Im a month post op and i start solid foods on wednesday. What does ur nutritionist say about beef??

Thanks... I really dont want to go against my regimen, but im so craving for a lil spaghetti. Even if i have to use the ground turkey. Im a month post op and i start solid foods on wednesday. What does ur nutritionist say about beef??

How far out from surgery are you? Ground beef is probably ok if you're already eating ground turkey. I did do the turkey for a long time though because beef has bulked me up in the past. Other than that ground beef is good Protein.

I was given an alternative to Pasta here a long time ago and it's called Dreamfield's. I can't even tell the difference between that and real pasta... either that or I don't remember what real Pasta taste like anymore.. lol.

Anyhow it's always best to stick to your Surgeons guidelines. That said, if you're wondering, ask them why they are so stringent on the carbs/no carbs. I always like to know how/why I'm being ordered to do something. I've eaten carbs throughout my weight loss months. The only times I went super low is to get things moving (weight loss) again and it only took a few days to do that. Other than that I was eating them. I did about 60g per day total, which is double what others do.

Im 1month and 4 days post op. I go to meet with my nutritionist this wednesday so im definately gonna ask her. It just seems like my dr office is the only one with this strict regimen. Even during the liquid stages we couldnt have Soup or broth like alot of other places. We can only have 3 Protein Shakes a day, crystal light, and Water. Maybe they do it that way so we can loose weight quicker im not sure. I know i want some spaghetti though lol.

My team said 30 g's or less per day in the months following surgery but really the rule was "protein first, hydration second, then everything else" and just by following that rule, there simply wasn't enough room or hours in the day to even contemplate carbs. If you are having serious carb cravings but are anxious about reverting to bad habits I recommend going to the blog "the world according to eggface", she is a foodie who refused to give up taste just because she had surgery. She doesn't eat bread or Pasta or rice, her own personal choice, but she has discovered some AMAZING workarounds, her recipe for "ricotta bake" has become famous here on the VSG forum, it is a brilliant satisfying lasagna-like dish for the soft foods/mushy phase. Hope this helps! =)

How far out from surgery are you? Ground beef is probably ok if you're already eating ground turkey. I did do the turkey for a long time though because beef has bulked me up in the past. Other than that ground beef is good Protein.

I was given an alternative to Pasta here a long time ago and it's called Dreamfield's. I can't even tell the difference between that and real pasta... either that or I don't remember what real Pasta taste like anymore.. lol.

Anyhow it's always best to stick to your Surgeons guidelines. That said, if you're wondering, ask them why they are so stringent on the carbs/no carbs. I always like to know how/why I'm being ordered to do something. I've eaten carbs throughout my weight loss months. The only times I went super low is to get things moving (weight loss) again and it only took a few days to do that. Other than that I was eating them. I did about 60g per day total, which is double what others do.

Dreamfields is that like something you boil or is pre made? Never heard of it....by the way LilMissDiva you are gorgeous and so inspiring. You make me know that I can do this:)

Dreamfields is that like something you boil or is pre made? Never heard of it....by the way LilMissDiva you are gorgeous and so inspiring. You make me know that I can do this:)

You can find Dreamfield's in most grocery stores in the pastas section. It will have its own little spot, and it has Spaghetti, Thin noodles and most low carb remakes of different shaped Pasta. The best part is I honestly cannot tell the difference!! And absolutely yes, YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

No carbs is impossible, because even Protein shakes have them and unless you're mixing a very low carb shake with Water, you're consuming carbs.

Talk to the nutritionist. The fact is, yes, low-carb is doable but you will need energy so the very least you should be consuming is around 50 grams per day.

There are the weirdos like me that don't advocate going super low carb at all, too. You can search my posts to see my opinions on this - I make them known all the time. Whatever you choose to do, you aren't alone because there are a number of low carbers here and also a number of us that advocate a "moderation in everything" plan.

I, personally, feel low energy, get irritable, feel deprived and am a beastly person if I don't eat enough carbohydrates. That's just me. We're all different, and what works for you will be something only you can figure out. I recommend tracking your daily intake religiously until you find out what you can eat and still lose.

And yes, Dreamfields is an option, although I'd say that Pasta is still the hardest thing for me to eat, even at 20 months out. So be careful with it and only eat a bite or two before waiting to see what happens. For me it causes extreme discomfort after more than a bite or two.

~Cheri

I've never even thought about counting carbs, so another vote for "moderation" here, too. I eat way too many vegetables to go low carb, and my primary sources of Protein are dairy (cheese, milk, yogurt) and vegetable sources (Beans, nuts, tofu), all of which contain carbs.

I definitely avoid most sweets and most flour products, but I do not avoid fruit or vegetable carbs. It has worked for me. There are people for whom carbs shut down the weight loss, but I personally function best with healthful carbs as part of my diet. You should follow your doctor's guidelines, however, since they will be in the best position to monitor your health. Best wishes!

Thanks for the advice Megan. I guess as i get further along i will know what my body can or cant tolerate, and foods that will stall my weight loss. This is definately a journey, but its all well worth it.