Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A "better Late Than Never" 1 Year Anniversary 1/2 Marathon Update - With Pics *long*

I'm almost 2 weeks late (just under) in posting my 1 year anniversary details, mainly because I was having way to much fun in Disneyland with my family!! (plus I wanted to add pics from Disney as some of my after shots :D)

to recap my journey

- start weight was 229 - although I had been up to 240ish

- weight on surgery day was 208

- starting size 24-26 (probably should have had a larger size though)

- had my surgery with Dr. Rodriquez in Mexico

Immediately after surgery, I felt very sick to my stomach and threw up multiple times. I was given anti-nausea meds for a couple days to combat that. I remember not wanting to get up and walk. I felt like crap!!! why would I want to walk? okay, all you newbies.... listen up!! LOL !! YES it helps to walk!!!! I felt 1000x s better after walking around. every time you get up to use the bathroom? walk the halls before laying back down. need to change the channel on the tv? get up and do some more walking, then change the channel. It truly does help!!!!!

I started losing my hair around 3 months. yes, it sucks (I'm not going to lie to you), but it grows back!! i have so much new growth right now though, that I look a little bit like a frizzy haired chia pet!! LOL :blink:

I went back to the gym around 6 weeks. I started just walking, but as time went on and I started getting more energy as I dropped the weight, i then started running. About the 5 month mark, the running bug bit me. I decided to try something that has been on my bucket list since I was a teenager. I was going to run a half marathon!!!! I even found a half marathon that was scheduled for the day after my 1 year anniversary of my surgery!!!! And it was in Disneyworld!!! I am a true Disney nut, so all these things coming together felt like it was meant to be and I had to do it!!! So I signed up and started my training. My job requires me to work at strange and varied hours. Couple that with my 2 part time jobs, my 2 kids, and my hubby = not a lot of time to myself. I make sure to get a run in (even if it's only 3o min). My lack of time also made it so I could not do running clinics in my area, so I just read as much as I could and trained by myself.

To date I have lost 100lbs!! although I vary about 5-10 lbs depending on the time of month or training for runs. I still worry averyday that I'll gain it back. But I figure that it's that 'worry' is what keeps me in check with myself. I see pics of the old me and wonder who that girl is and why see was so unhappy all the time. The number of people that say I 'LOOK' happier not to mention healthier is crazy!!! I hit 129lbs a few months ago, and I was still a size 12 at that point!! I have finished losing weight (i think), but my size continues to go down (yay!!) I'm right around a size 8 right now. although I do have a pair of Lululemon pants in a size 6 that fit great!! and size small shirt. The only bad thing I hate is my extra skin. In clothes, I'm happy. but I HATE swimsuits!!! my thighs and tummy are terrible!!! they continue to tighten some and I hope it continues, but it'll just have to be something I deal with.

food wise, I still look at Protein first (unless it's the couple weeks before a race), but I can't low carb anymore. During my losing phase, I low carbed it and lost weight fast. Now that I'm a runner (i love the sound of that), I need the carbs for fuel. I have FINALLY gotten to the point where I now longer even care to have a coke. I used to be a major pop drinker. It's taken me a year to get over that addiction!!! I have bad days, where I eat crap and pay for it, but as long as they are not constant, I learn from them and I'm happy. As I see it, how can I learn if I don't have mistakes to fix??

On to race day..... I was a bucket if nerves!! But I was so excited!! I felt really good through the run. My main goal was just to finish. My 5 year old daughter told me something that I think we should ALL remember. I was telling her about the race before I left and showed her a pic of what the medal would look like. She asked me if I was going to win the race the get the medal. I said no, that I just was going to finish the race to get it. she said, "so the winning person and the last person get the same medal?" I said yes. She said, "so it doesn't matter what place you come in mommy, as long as you finish the race, I'll be proud of you!!!" This will stick with me for the rest of my days!!!! When I finished the race, I was so emotional. I was exhausted, and tired from lack of sleep (had to be there at 3am and couldn't sleep the night before), and I couldn't believe that I had proven to myself that I could do something like that. Needless to say, I bawled like a baby!!! I traveled by myself to Florida from Vancouver Canada for the race, but the amount of hugs and pats on the back I got from total strangers was so nice!!! I ended up finishing in 3:09:56. I had hoped to finish under 3 hours, but a 15minute lineup at the bathrooms kind of killed that for me. BTW: the pic of me at mile marker 10 is priceless to me. At this point I had NEVER run more than 10 miles before!!! Anything after that was icing on the cake for me :P

Now that I'm home, I've already signed up for 4 more half marathons and a 10k this year!!!! One of which is in Disneyland in September. I can't wait!!! I feel like I have found a new me........ A me that is not only a mom, wife, daughter, sister, friend, coworker, etc...... But a me that has found balance and happiness.

attached are some before and afters- enjoy!!!

post-6663-13813658344581_thumb.jpg

post-6663-1381365834536_thumb.jpg

post-6663-13813658346899_thumb.jpg

post-6663-13813658346128_thumb.jpg

post-6663-13813658348965_thumb.jpg

post-6663-13813658348079_thumb.jpg

post-6663-13813658349755_thumb.jpg

post-6663-13813658351895_thumb.jpg

post-6663-13813658353089_thumb.jpg

post-6663-13813658350545_thumb.jpg

OMG you are a HUGE inspiration to me :) CONGRATS!!! is Amazing that you are runner now :) Those pictures are so cool :) Love it!! I hope that someday I can do as good as you.

I started at 216 lbs and I am 5'3 :) Today at 3 months post I had lost about 66 lbs so far. I am really inspire by you,Thanks for sharing!!!

Ps if you don't mind me asking how was your training to start running?

hey Liliana,

I'm 5'2 so we are about in the same stats and you are doing awsome!!!! I kind of followed the c25k on my iphone, but I found it a little to hard. so when I started, I'd jog for 1 min, walk for 3. When I felt good, I started jog for 1, walk for 2, then 1 and 1. then I went to jog 2, walk 3, jog 2 walk 2, jog 2 walk 1, jog 3, walk 3.....etc.... If I was having a bad day, I didn't push too hard, I'd just add an extra min walking each time and get back at it the next day. if I felt good, I'd just keep running. It was amazing how great I'd feel some days. Now I can run for about 45 min straight!!! That excites me : )

I don't run fast by any means, but I run. That's what's important to me.

hey Liliana' date='

I'm 5'2 so we are about in the same stats and you are doing awsome!!!! I kind of followed the c25k on my iphone, but I found it a little to hard. so when I started, I'd jog for 1 min, walk for 3. When I felt good, I started jog for 1, walk for 2, then 1 and 1. then I went to jog 2, walk 3, jog 2 walk 2, jog 2 walk 1, jog 3, walk 3.....etc.... If I was having a bad day, I didn't push too hard, I'd just add an extra min walking each time and get back at it the next day. if I felt good, I'd just keep running. It was amazing how great I'd feel some days. Now I can run for about 45 min straight!!! That excites me : )

I don't run fast by any means, but I run. That's what's important to me.[/quote']

Wow , thanks for the tips :) again thank you for being an inspiration to me and too many people on here :) you are awesome

Fantastic! Well done x

Very inspiring! I love the attitude "I don't run fast but I run".

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Wow! Amazing. You look great! It amazes me everytime I read these success stories that I could go from this to an accomplishment like yours. : )

You're awesome! And, you are so inspiring! Good luck and best wishes with continuing your journey!!!

Congratulations! I would love to at least be able to walk the disney marathon.

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love this! You are a great inspiration to all of us! Thank you for posting!!!!

Thanks, I needed to read this tonight! Great inspiration!

Thanks for all your kind words everyone. For those of you who said you'd love to do something like this...... As Nike would say..... Just do it!!! Sign up for it on that whim of, " I would love to do this". Yes, it was so scary once I paid for my place and I wondered what the heck I was doing, but I decided to believe in myself. Do you know how long it's been since I believed in myself??? I feels so damn good!!!! Try it yourself!! If you decide running is your thing, shoot me any questions you have. I'm no expert, but I'm a great shoulder to lean on : )

Thanks for your inspiring post! And congrats on being a runner.

What an amazing journey! To finish off your one year surgiversary with a marathon is truly inspiring. Congratulations on doing so well and on doing what you need to do to be healthy and happy. I love how you said you were more than just a mom and a wife but you were also finding "YOU" too! You can have your own identity too and feeling good in your skin is so important. Bless you!