Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 days post op and STARVING and WEAK - HELP!

:help: Ok - I had my surgery 8 days ago and I went through my packet of info I have collected from my surgeon, dietician, PCP, online, etc. and I realized I have about 10 different post-surgery diets and don't know which one to follow. liquids do not make me feel full - at all - and I am so weak I can barely get off the couch. Seriously, I can't imagine doing anything. It was a lot of effort to go to the computer. Anyway - some diets say liquids for one week, some for 2 weeks, and I've heard on these boards anywhere from a few days to a month. Can I have a scrambled egg? Some refried Beans? One diet said in week two you can have soft Pasta and well cooked veggies. I have not had any nausea and I don't want to throw up and risk doing something bad. But I'm not sure if I can get enough Protein and sustain any sort of life on the liquids I'm drinking. My doc suggests 25-30 g of protein a day(which I am doing) and I take Vitamins 2x a day. Any advice?

The "which diet do I follow" thing IS quite confusing. I'd suggest you follow your surgeons recommendations. If you're unsure, call and ask. Find out if you are in the liquid stage or mushies.

Once you discover what stage you are in, go to the food Thread. It has many suggestions about what you might like to eat in each stage.

The Protein amount, that your doc says, is quite low. Usually 60 is the Protein amount that I hear recommended. Low protein=low energy. Plus, if you calories are REALLY low, you may feel weak. Try Protein shakes, or Carnation Instant Breakfast.

Remember you are recovering from surgery, trying to get on with life, and adjusting to a new eating routinue. It will take time.

Good luck....Shawn

Sorry guys, it has been 10 days since my surgery, not 8. If that makes any difference. Re. the Protein - I have noticed 25-30g is lower than most. But how do you get that much protein unless you drink Protein Shakes and nothing else? According to my doc I'm only supposed to have 1/4 cup of liquid every hour. Let's say I eat (actually drink) 10 times a day - that only 2 1/2 cups of liquid. Can you get 60 g of protein in 2 1/2 cups? argh.

Same boat as you are. Had mine on july 24. Same feeling as you have hungry and tired! Luckly for me I had to pay for this myself and I was not able to stay out of work so I went back this past Monday. When I feel like I'm going to chew off my arm becasue I want something to eat, I just think of all that money I spend adn tell myself that I'm throwing it away. ( It helps a little!) Hang in there!

Please double check with your surgeon, regarding the info. on diet. This doesn't sound correct at all, in fact dangerous! 2 1/2 cups a day to drink is dehydration....In the meantime, drink all the Water you can and call your surgeon!!!!

At first Protein is hard to get in without drinking the Protein shakes. Later on, in about 4-6 weeks, you'll be able to eat more solid foods that are high in protein. For now, you may have to rely on Protein drinks.

My surgeon had me on full liquids for 2 weeks (Soups, watery oatmeal and cream of wheat, Jello, Protein Drinks, etc). Then onto mushies (eggs, reg. oatmeal, chili etc) for 2 weeks. Finally 4 weeks, post-banding, I could eat solids!!!

Take care. Shawn

Sorry guys, it has been 10 days since my surgery, not 8. If that makes any difference. Re. the Protein - I have noticed 25-30g is lower than most. But how do you get that much Protein unless you drink protein shakes and nothing else? According to my doc I'm only supposed to have 1/4 cup of liquid every hour. Let's say I eat (actually drink) 10 times a day - that only 2 1/2 cups of liquid. Can you get 60 g of protein in 2 1/2 cups? argh.

Interesting how different surgeons are. My post-op instructions are to drink all you want in those first few weeks when we will be on liquids. He says it's not about quantity but what you have that matters because you don't want your stomach to work too hard.

I tried the Isopure drinks I read about here, they have 60 g of protein in each bottle, taste OK? I plan to sip a lot of those as I recover.

My surgeon's instructions were the first week everything had to pour off a spoon or go through a straw--you can get many things through a straw or pouring off a spoon if you blend it with enough broth. I ate all I wanted in this manner, until I started mushies--I was on them for 2 weeks and then went onto solids. I was just very careful until I was able to determine what I could and couldn't eat. The first few weeks is just about healing, not losing. I also made and continue to make fruit smoothies using fresh fruit, unflavored-unsweetened Protein Powder, milk, splenda, and ice cubes. About the fluids-be very careful to get enough; I was afraid of throwing up and didn't take in enough the result was a bladder infection that took two rounds of meds to clear up. Please don't hesitate to call your surgeon or his/her staff. Just my .02.

I add Unjury (1 scoop of powder adds 20 grams of protein) to several food choices during the day. Today I added it to chicken broth, Jello, and a nutritional supplement which gave me 60 grams of Protein. Without it I think I would feel tired.

Just to clarify - I am supposed to drink at least 64 oz of Water a day. The 1/4 cup per hour is for things other than water. I have tried to call my dietician today but she wasn't in. Maybe the 1/4 cup is a minimum and not a maximum? Hell, maybe I've got it all wrong. But I do know it says to add 25-30 g of Protein a day. Well when I can't eat meat, Peanut Butter, cheese, or well, anything that has real protein in it I am assuming to "add" 25-30 g a day would be all the protein I am getting. I have had Carnation Instant Breakfast and hi-protein slim fast, I will definetely try the Isopure shake. I'm still thinking about trying an egg and just keeping my fingers crossed. But I think for dinner I am going to have pureed vegetarian chili and hope that is OK. Thanks for all the advice and please keep it coming!

If you're weak and starving, you need to call your surgeon or his/her dietician. You are NOT taking in enough Water and the Protein level is low. They will clarify your questions and likely advance your diet. Make the call.

I was banded about 10 days ago and my surgeon said to get in at least 64 oz of liquid and 60-70 grams of Protein and I have to be on liquids for 2 weeks, mushies in week 3 and can start solids about week 4. What made the world of difference for me was not only the Isopure drinks but I ordered the unflavored Protein powder that has 20 grams of Protein in 1 scoop. I added that to my Soup broth, sf Jello, etc and it made the world of difference in how I felt and how much energy I had as well as made me feel full longer. Just my 2 cents worth.

Tonya

I am using the Unjury unflavored Protein powder and mixing it in my broth, Jello, juices, etc. I use the flavored stuff (vanilla) to mix with fruit that I make a smoothie out of. I am getting in 60-70 grams of protein a day along with 64 oz. of Water. I do not feel week at all and have actually had great energy. I am on liquids for 2 weeks, then mushies for 2 weeks. I will reorder the unflavored protein to add to some mushies too, in order to get the needed protein. That seems to be the key to energy, at least for me. Hang in there!!!

Thanks guys! I will definitely up my Protein intake and I am drinking 64 oz of Water a day (at least). I think it has to be the protein. I just keep hearing all these people say how great they felt and I was wondering what was wrong with me. I will call the dietician again on Monday and if I can't get her I will call my surgeon. I think the Isopure shakes might be the key - I'm hoping I can get them at GNC. Keep the suggestions coming! I appreciate them all ~

Hey Marie...I just saw you say you were going to try an egg (above). Having made that mistake 10 days out myself, I *highly* advise against it unless it's really runny and practically raw. Scrambled/fried eggs, at least for me, got stuck big time. Not fun.

GNC doe shave a chocolate whey Protein shake mix as well that I used...20 g of Protein per scoop. I would put it in shakes, yogurt and milk...helped me a lot.

I'm glad you mentioned that about not trying an egg. I'm nine days out and I want a cheesy scrambled egg sooo bad. I did start having cottage cheese before I legally should have and it makes my life.

In the big picture, I need to just shush up and keep drinking. Gulp Gulp Gulp.:hungry: