Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What To Eat First Week After Surgery?

Thank you for all of your input. I am 5'2 and weigh 190 lbs. I'm not morbidly obese. But I have been this size for about 12 years. I"ve lost 40 lbs twice and gained it all back both times. I admit it : I do not have will power, I am hungry a LOT and I gorge myself. I overeat. It's not even that I eat the wrong stuff - I love high quality food - but I am never, ever satisfied with a half cup of anything. I've battled this for years and that's what made me start thinking about the sleeve.

Then I go back to telling myself that I'm crazy, I'm *only* 60 lbs overweight and I should stop being lazy and just find some stupid willpower and stop thinking about cutting my stomach out.

Then I think that I've tried this before and if I just watsn't hungry all of the time, I could do it...

So is it nuts to think about this with only 60lbs to lose?

Yes I am grieving the thought of not going to a buffet and gorging myself. Or a steak house and eating and entire ribeye. Or fried shrimp. I would hope that I would again be able to eat those things BUT with the tool of the sleeve - stop at a few bites instead of a dozen fried shrimp.

Is this accurate? My husband thought I'd be off food and on Protein shakes for the rest of my life. :)

We are going on a cruise in Sept. and I'm looking to get sleeve in June. Do you think I could enjoy ANY delectable goodness at that time? What about a sip or two of wine? These are the questions I have that are holding me back. HELP!

One more question... I don't take many drugs, but when I do, it's Advil. It's the ONLY thing that works for mentrual cramps and headaches in me. I know I have to stop taking it before surgery, but what about after - after I'm healed? Can you eventually go back to taking some of these things once your stomach has healed?

One more question... I don't take many drugs, but when I do, it's Advil. It's the ONLY thing that works for mentrual cramps and headaches in me. I know I have to stop taking it before surgery, but what about after - after I'm healed? Can you eventually go back to taking some of these things once your stomach has healed?

My doctor said absolutely no Ibruprofen. Only Tylenol. Ibruprofen can cause bleeding in your stomach (It is stated in their disclosure).. In fact you you read an Aleve bottle, itr actually states that on the label.

My dr. allows me to take stuff for pain, that is why I chose this surgery, if may allow all or only certain ones so as always you should check with your own dr. call them and ask him, the nurse or the PA there is always someone there to help if you can't get your dr. himself

My doc also said absolutely no ibuprophin..

Thank you for all of your input. I am 5'2 and weigh 190 lbs. I'm not morbidly obese. But I have been this size for about 12 years. I"ve lost 40 lbs twice and gained it all back both times. I admit it : I do not have will power, I am hungry a LOT and I gorge myself. I overeat. It's not even that I eat the wrong stuff - I love high quality food - but I am never, ever satisfied with a half cup of anything. I've battled this for years and that's what made me start thinking about the sleeve.

Then I go back to telling myself that I'm crazy, I'm *only* 60 lbs overweight and I should stop being lazy and just find some stupid willpower and stop thinking about cutting my stomach out.

Then I think that I've tried this before and if I just watsn't hungry all of the time, I could do it...

So is it nuts to think about this with only 60lbs to lose?

Yes I am grieving the thought of not going to a buffet and gorging myself. Or a steak house and eating and entire ribeye. Or fried shrimp. I would hope that I would again be able to eat those things BUT with the tool of the sleeve - stop at a few bites instead of a dozen fried shrimp.

Is this accurate? My husband thought I'd be off food and on Protein shakes for the rest of my life. :)

We are going on a cruise in Sept. and I'm looking to get sleeve in June. Do you think I could enjoy ANY delectable goodness at that time? What about a sip or two of wine? These are the questions I have that are holding me back. HELP!

The best thing about this surgery is that you will eat normally again, you will have constant Portion Control and will never be able to eat like you used to, but you can eat what you want. in the beginning right after surgery it is important to eat in the stages your dr. tells you for healing purposes and the losing stage you follow what may seem like seem like a diet, but eventually you will bring normal eating back in I am 8 mos and eat everything I used to, just healthier if that makes sense lol.

My doc also said absolutely no ibuprophin..

Same thing here, but in the hospital he gave me a Ibuprophin iv drip because the other meds made me so sick lol??????? Maybe it was different because I wasn't taking it orally ???

I should have been more clear... I know not to take ibuprofen before sx and during the healing phase. I am talking about later. Tylenol does nothing for me. Wondering about after healing.

I should have been more clear... I know not to take ibuprofen before sx and during the healing phase. I am talking about later. Tylenol does nothing for me. Wondering about after healing.

I love my Advil too and ask the same, but my Gastric doctor said "Nope" say goodbye to Advil. He recommended to consult with my regular doctor to find an alternative for menstrual pain I haven't done it yet but maybe if you speak to your regular Medical Doctor he can help you with finding something for you other than Advil.

My doctor said that Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, and Aleve) is the worst thing you can do for your sleeve, because it causes bleeding in the stomach regardless of how long it has been. As I said it even says that on the Aleve bottle. I don't like Tylenol either, does nothing for me. But it is weird that before my sleeve, I took Execdrin Migrane (which also is not good for your stomach) when I woke up every night for a so called sinus headache. Since I have been sleeved, I have not had one headache! Go figure. Anyway I did throw out the Advil and Motrin anfter reading the disclosures and decided I must not take it anymore, and bought a bottle of Tylenol extra strength arthritis that is stronger than even extra-strength Tyelnol. You may be surprised though and when you lose the weight, you may find that your cramping is not so severe. Hope so. Please ask your doctor how he feels about it and then read the Aleve bottle. It is scary. Notice they don't disclose that on the TV commercials.