Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What To Eat First Week After Surgery?

Help I need advice.

I am having my surgery 3/13/12 and I wanted to be prepared for when I get home from the hospital so I don't have to leave the house for a while in case I feel "crappy". I have the Protein drinks (isopure) and clear Jello, Protein Drinks, farina and skim plus milk. Is that okay or is there anything else I should have in supply?

Also did anyone have a problem getting in all of the 60 to 80 grams of Protein in the first couple of weeks? I heard it was majorly difficult.

Any info would be Appreciated!!

Thanks

you like me will be on mushy's as soon as you have your leak test. I ate alot of refried Beans melt some cheese on it, Liz told me I could put some chicken in a blender and eat that, bake some ricotta cheese topped with some mozzerella cheese. it is so hard to explain how little you will be able to eat two bites from a baby spoon and I was done, so you will have to get most of your Protein in with shakes, she allowed me to have smoothies since we are on mushies I added greek yogurt with calorie countdown milk and sugar free Torani syrups for flavor, they allowed me to count my smooties or Protein Shakes toward my fluids also, yogurt went down real nice and didn't cause me any pain.

I still don't get all my Protein in there was days when I did but the majority of the days I didn't. you have to really concentrate on it, it can be done but you have to remain conscience of it.

I have a video of the hospital if you want to see it PM me your email and I'll send it to you...

I always liked Protein shakes so that wasn't a problem for me. I could sip on them all day long. I suggest you try the ones you bought before surgery because you don't want to get home realize they taste like crap and than have to go on a hunt for another one.

I had chicken broth Soup, regular Jello (clear one is nasty to me), ice tea because I couldn't drink Water, and popsicles. They were a life changing. In the beginning you don't have to worry too much about getting anything in except fluids, after when you can drink, eat better is when you worry about everything else. Just concentrate on getting in fluids.

Good luck.

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery! So exciting!

Everyone's doctor has different diet guidelines for the food phases after surgery. Hopefully your doctor has given you a written plan or has a nutritionist on staff to help you?

My doctor and NUT had me on Clear liquids the first week after surgery. So I stocked up on chicken, beef, and veggie broths; SF Jell-O, SF Popsicles, and Protein mixes. I ordered a mixture of powders from nectar, unjury, and my doctor's office gave me some Healthwise packets. They come in variations that can be mixed with just Water (the fruity flavors), or soy/skim milk (vanilla/chocolate), or Soups to mix with the broths. One of my favorite Snacks is to make SF Jell-O with unflavored Protein, so I can get up to 5g in just a snack!

The first 3-4 days at home, I barely hit 50g per day which was still good. By the end of the week, I was hitting 70g no problem. I would make sure you have some Miralax or Milk of Magnesia on hand as you may find (like many of us) that between the antibiotics, pain meds, and anesthesia, Constipation can be a real problem in the first week. I also bought Benefiber powder to put into my protein shakes.

I also liked having Decaf green tea on hand for when I wanted something warm, Crystal Light to help with getting in the 64oz of fluids. By week two I could have some low-carb Soups so long as they were well blended. Then by week three I was on to non-fat Greek yogurt and cottage cheese.

GOOD LUCK!

As others mentioned, I did Clear Liquids too at first and then moved onto Protein Shakes. I drink the Atkins Caramel Cafe and still do. But there are so many you might try getting samples. I had a horrendous time getting in all the Protein . Between that and Water it was like a full time job lol. But I know you will do great!

I was on clear liquids for two weeks. I drank this (Natures Best Isopure zero carb):

http://www.amazon.co...1319209&sr=8-11

I do recommend the clear liquids because your stomach is swollen and this stuff is easy on it. I drank two of these a day. Each has 40 grams of Protein and 0 carbs. It's a great way to get all your Protein in. This will also help ensure you get your fluids. The main problem people seem to have is not getting enough protein and not enought fluids. The is the best whey isolate too. It comes in multiple flavors and GNC carries it.

I didn't take pain meds or antibiotics so I didn't have a Constipation problem. I finally did when I started eating only protein. I learned quickly that Fiber has to be added. I did this by eating a little fruit and vegetable. Even watered down apple juice will help that.

I really hate medication and only take it when there is no other solution.

Catracks, I just looked that stuff up - really 50 g of Protein in two scoops??? wow! And 35 in the clear ones? I'm gonna check that out tomorrow!

I have not had the surgery yet and am considering having it done this June. I am scared. I am a BMI of 35 and worry I'm doing something too extreme for my body size. I also worry about this depression, as my lifestyle revolves around food now and I'm scared of how it will change me! I love extreme, rich foods and I don't want to NEVER eat those things again!

I'm feeling emotional about the surgery and I haven't even HAD it. LOL

Catracks, I just looked that stuff up - really 50 g of Protein in two scoops??? wow! And 35 in the clear ones? I'm gonna check that out tomorrow!

I have not had the surgery yet and am considering having it done this June. I am scared. I am a BMI of 35 and worry I'm doing something too extreme for my body size. I also worry about this depression, as my lifestyle revolves around food now and I'm scared of how it will change me! I love extreme, rich foods and I don't want to NEVER eat those things again!

40 grams in the clear ones.

Debly, I am a TOTAL foodie. Do you know what I had for dinner? Homemade crab cake and just a few purple, red and white roasted potato slices with onions. You can eat the very best food, just not much of it. the sleeve won't allow it. I eat ribs, ribeye steak, scallops, grilled salmon, pulled pork, tarragon chicken, cheeses, all kinds of things. The only thing I really had to give up was regular bread and Pasta. There are alternatives for that stuff. Oh yeah, and popcorn. My surgeon says 6 months. I can do that. What's the rush?

When people complain about not liking food and of hating the Protein shakes are not doing it right. Go to: theworldaccordingtoeggface.com and look at her recipes. She is a bypass patient that was 5'2" and 350 pounds. She now wears a size four. Her recipes are incredible and there are a lot more things out there on the internet. All you have to remember is protein first and to not eat too fast or overeat.

The point of the sleeve is so we can eat like normal thin people do. It doesn't mean you can never taste pie again down the road. It means that you have a bite or two and savor it. Then you can walk away.

It's normal to be scared, but just don't fall into the trap that you should be depressed about not being able to scarf down at a buffet.

What you will be able to do is wear nice clothes, ride a horse, wear a bathing suit, hike, walk, run, skip, feel good ...

Dear Everyone, :lol:

Thank you Soo Much for all of your advise and tips, I have learned much and I have gotten some new ideas on the first weeks post op. I was so worried about not getting in all the Protein and worried about food that might cause pain and dumping and blah blah blah! I can't keep up. LOL :blink:

You all have eased my worries and I'm just gonna take it day by day and use the tips I have gained.

I will give an update once I come home and let you all know whats going on!

Again Thank you!!!

:D :D

40 grams in the clear ones.

Debly, I am a TOTAL foodie. Do you know what I had for dinner? Homemade crab cake and just a few purple, red and white roasted potato slices with onions. You can eat the very best food, just not much of it. the sleeve won't allow it. I eat ribs, ribeye steak, scallops, grilled salmon, pulled pork, tarragon chicken, cheeses, all kinds of things. The only thing I really had to give up was regular bread and Pasta. There are alternatives for that stuff. Oh yeah, and popcorn. My surgeon says 6 months. I can do that. What's the rush?

When people complain about not liking food and of hating the Protein shakes are not doing it right. Go to: theworldaccordingtoeggface.com and look at her recipes. She is a bypass patient that was 5'2" and 350 pounds. She now wears a size four. Her recipes are incredible and there are a lot more things out there on the internet. All you have to remember is Protein first and to not eat too fast or overeat.

The point of the sleeve is so we can eat like normal thin people do. It doesn't mean you can never taste pie again down the road. It means that you have a bite or two and savor it. Then you can walk away.

It's normal to be scared, but just don't fall into the trap that you should be depressed about not being able to scarf down at a buffet.

What you will be able to do is wear nice clothes, ride a horse, wear a bathing suit, hike, walk, run, skip, feel good ...

Does that mean that one day I might have a little chocolate cake one day... :rolleyes: LOL My daughter has just started pastry school and she was so sad that she could not make me a Birthday cake. I told her she probably could just a very little one.. ^_^

I felt the same way in the beginning I researched alot on youtube on other people who had the VSG and to see their experience, I watched probably over a 100 people and 99% of them said once everything is healed you can eat basicly anything you want just after a couple of bites you will be satisfied and won't need to overindulge. This is why I chose to do this option, I have dieted but the minute I got close to my goal I relaxed and had a lil of this and a lil of that and next thing I knew I was back into old habits and weighed more than before. I don't want to give up to much I just don't want to over-do it and this sleeve defeats the purpose of overeating so you can still enjoy life!

Best Wishes on your decision!!

I was on Clear liquids for two weeks. I drank this (Natures Best Isopure zero carb):

http://www.amazon.co...1319209&sr=8-11

I do recommend the clear liquids because your stomach is swollen and this stuff is easy on it. I drank two of these a day. Each has 40 grams of Protein and 0 carbs. It's a great way to get all your Protein in. This will also help ensure you get your fluids. The main problem people seem to have is not getting enough protein and not enought fluids. The is the best whey isolate too. It comes in multiple flavors and GNC carries it.

I didn't take pain meds or antibiotics so I didn't have a Constipation problem. I finally did when I started eating only protein. I learned quickly that Fiber has to be added. I did this by eating a little fruit and vegetable. Even watered down apple juice will help that.

I really hate medication and only take it when there is no other solution.

I did buy a case of the Isopure drink Zero Carb also from Amazon (way cheaper then GNC) I get dehydrated as it is without the surgery so I looked into Protein drinks and found this was the best one, thank you for verifying that the were a good choice for me I haven't tried any of them yet until after the surgery, I was hoping I didn't waist money like I did with the protein bullets that I bought, someone told me to buy them for protein since each shot is supposed to have like 42grm of protein but when I discussed it with my dietician she said they were not advised because they are mostly collagen and whatever protein is in them are not easily absorbed, so I wasted about $50 on 2 boxes. I am also not fond of taking meds unless I have no choice so I hope I will not need any meds for too long.

Thank you for your help!

you like me will be on mushy's as soon as you have your leak test. I ate alot of refried Beans melt some cheese on it, Liz told me I could put some chicken in a blender and eat that, bake some ricotta cheese topped with some mozzerella cheese. it is so hard to explain how little you will be able to eat two bites from a baby spoon and I was done, so you will have to get most of your Protein in with shakes, she allowed me to have smoothies since we are on mushies I added greek yogurt with calorie countdown milk and sugar free Torani syrups for flavor, they allowed me to count my smooties or Protein Shakes toward my fluids also, yogurt went down real nice and didn't cause me any pain.

I still don't get all my Protein in there was days when I did but the majority of the days I didn't. you have to really concentrate on it, it can be done but you have to remain conscience of it.

I have a video of the hospital if you want to see it PM me your email and I'll send it to you...

I thought your name sounded familiar and I think I seen you on you-tube I am going to check after this cause I'm pretty sure I have saved your video, I have alot of them, they have such great ideas and information.

That ricotta/mozarella cheese bake sounds real good :D and I am going to keep that one in mind. I did buy a couple of cans of refried Beans, I never had them before but I know I'm not going to want to do alot of preparation of foods the first couple of weeks so the easiest is what I am going for. I also have a ton of greek yogurt now and I love them, only thing that after a few days I'm not going to want to look at them..LOL

Are you doing anymore videos updates, I would love to see how you are doing!!

Grateful as always.. B)

You will probably be on clear liquids for a couple weeks since your sleeve needs time to heal. SF popsicles, SF Jello are also considered clear liquids. Don't worry about the Protein count at this point. Just take in the liquids you can. You cannot dehydrate yourself so you will need to sip, sip, sip. Your time will come for full liquids and then you can concentrate more on the protein. your sleeve will let you know when you are full, so don't push it. Follow your doctor's guidleines and you will do fine.

You will probably be on clear liquids for a couple weeks since your sleeve needs time to heal. SF popsicles, SF Jello are also considered clear liquids. Don't worry about the Protein count at this point. Just take in the liquids you can. You cannot dehydrate yourself so you will need to sip, sip, sip. Your time will come for full liquids and then you can concentrate more on the Protein. your sleeve will let you know when you are full, so don't push it. Follow your doctor's guidleines and you will do fine.

Wonderful!! Exactly what I needed straight forward to the point. Thank so much!! :) The only issue the dietician stayed on was protein, protein, protein, you don't want to lose that hair do you.. :wacko: She kinda freaked me out.. But I know when I don't feel well, and I know the first week or so I probably won't be, I am not going to want to eat anything and I don't want to have to worry so much and feel "icky" at the same time. I am a "drinker" (fluids not booze ^_^ ) I do get thirsty alot so the SF popsicles and Isopure protein drinks (not shake) is what I stacked up on for the first couple of weeks so I am glad I seem to be on the right track... And I must remember to sip,,,Guess that will be something else I will have to worry about...I never sip..LOL

You are The Best!! Thank you!