Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum for posting but I've been lurking and reading for a few weeks.

I had my sleeve done last Thursday, March 1, along with a hiatal hernia fixed and I had a very inflamed gallbladder removed as well. Generally I'm feeling pretty good. No pain, I've been light headed off and on, and I get some painful gas bubbles if I drink too fast or lose my mind and take too big of a sip.

I'm terrified of getting a leak though. Probably because I read too many horror stories. I was pretty sick when I was in the hospital and I had dry heaves for most of a day.. My doctor told me not to worry about that but I am anyway. Hah. I am over analyzing every catch and muscle ache.

I'm curious if anyone else had multiple things done during their surgery and if the healing time seemed longer. Also they told me to continue my Iron pills since I've been lightheaded and I'm curious if food in the first few weeks could cause a leak wouldn't a pill as well?? Probably I need to just chill.

I think that for all you had done you sound like you are doing well. I do not think that the pill will cause any problem for you as they pretty much disolve in your stomach. food however does not dissolve like pills and that is why you are restricted to eat only certain foods until you stomach is healed. The longer you are out from surgery the more variety of foods that you can eat. I would refer to the diet that was given to you from your surgeon or NUT and see what you should be eating in the first 2 weeks and then see what you can add each week. My diet was very specific what I could add each week and goes out for at least 1 year.

Since you just had your surgery I would think that you would pretty much be still on liquids for at least a week or 2 and then progess slowly to pureed and then onto eggs and other softer foods.

Congrats on being sleeved!! I didn't have anything else done at the time of my surgery, but I've seen many that have and seem to do just fine. Sometimes maybe a little more pain.

Just continue to follow your surgeons post-op diet and instructions and don't over do it physically. You should be fine. It's natural to be concerned about a leak for a little while, but try not to stress yourself out too much over it.

:)

You are doing great! How fortunate for you that they were able to fix those things with this procedure. You will heal just fine. Try not to focus on getting a leak, because the chances are, you won't get one. But if you do get one, your be very proactive and get help to heal the leak. CONGRATS and enjoy the ride now! :)

Hey there...so sorry you're not feeling too good :( I had gall bladder removed, extreme hiatal hernia repair & sleeve all at same time. I struggled with pain & had a really hard time swallowing from the hernia surgery. Time will help & until then tale painkillers!! It saved my sanity!! Feel better!

Thanks for the replies! Made me feel heaps better. I'm very thankful I found this forum. Everyone here has great information and y'all are very encouraging. :)

Ya, I had a hernia repair with my sleeve and the hernia caused the most pain of any I had. I took the pain meds for exactly 2 weeks, then it just....stopped. I went through both bottles. It's all normal stuff.

I also had the dry heaves the first 24 hours after surgery. I would fall asleep, and a bunch of gunk would collect in my throat, so when I woke up, it'd make me hurl. (no liquids until leak test the next morning!! :P) After the liquids came, I stopped. The doc assured me i didn't bust anything throwing up.

I had a major hernia he fixed. We had no idea I has it until he went in. It was making my stomach pull right up under my diaphragm and stick out. I also had my gall bladder removed. It was "hot" he said. Probably the reason why I felt bad all the time he said. He also found some abnormal lymph nodes he cut out and sent to pathology. All ok now. My hernia is still giving me fits and I was sleeved in November. The scar tissue is so much it is trying to wrap around my esophagus I have a striction they call it. This week makes two of having my esophagus dilated to help stretch that scar tissue ao hopefully he won't go back in and cut it back. I hope you recover quickly. It did take me about 2 weeks to feel "good". I am down 62 pounds now. Good luck