Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doing The Surgery Alone?

Everyone is different--some say the surgery was a breeze. I am 1 week post-op and have to say that I was SO surprised at how much pain and discomfort there was compared to when I got my lapband (or any other surgery I have had - Tummy Tuck, gallbladder, 2 lapband revisions, female surgery). I guess there is a reason they keep you in the hospital. My husband was home from work for 2 days plus the weekend after I got home from the hospital and he was such a big help--I couldn't have done it without him.

I was only able to walk at crawl pace. I am relatively young (34) and worked out 5-6 days a week bf surgery doing aerobics/boot camp/kickboxing for an hour each day plus an hour of strength training 3 days a week-- because I was in such good physical shape (although fat) I thought I would just hop right up and be running around- WRONG!

I would recommend you try to stay in the hospital at least 2 nights so they can be there to help you and then maybe by day 3 you will be well enough. Heck I may be wrong and you will be fine, but I think that you have to prepare for worst case scenario.

I live in Dallas-- I will volunteer to drive down and help you if you need it! :) please don't hesitate to ask!

Ask the doctor to give you your prescriptions BEFORE surgery. That way you can have them filled and at home when you get there.

Stock up on Water and liquids.

I had my surgery in December, stayed in the hospital 1 night. I had a friend pick me up and take me home since it is required.

My doctor said that as long as I was on pain medicine, no driving, but I did not need any pain medicine and drove a little 3 days after surgery.

Katyb, it sounds that you are military. I know the Air Force has a family support office at all bases with all sorts of resources to help family members out. Not sure what branch of service you are in but maybe they have something similar to help you out. Also, whether you are enlisted or officer, there are also spouses groups that might be able to help. I know it wont give you the independence you want but it's better to play it safe and don't risk potentially damaging your new stomach. Good luck...I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Katyb, it sounds that you are military. I know the Air Force has a family support office at all bases with all sorts of resources to help family members out. Not sure what branch of service you are in but maybe they have something similar to help you out. Also, whether you are enlisted or officer, there are also spouses groups that might be able to help. I know it wont give you the independence you want but it's better to play it safe and don't risk potentially damaging your new stomach. Good luck...I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

My husband is the one that's military. I'm not anymore. Unfortunately, he's not stationed nearby, and I'm living here while he's deployed since I just love this city so much. HOWEVER!! We were able to work it out so that my parents will be able to take care of me! I'm an adult and still need my parents, lol! I'm okay with that, though.

Thanks! Unfortunately' date=' I'm in Texas. I may post something on here to look for some assistance. I hadn't thought of that.[/quote']

There are some of us from Texas on here. Are you close to Dallas?

Hey Katyb - I'm in San Antonio and just received my sleeve on Monday :) - let me know if you need anything! I'll be glad to help!

Who is your surgeon?

I too live in San Antonio and would be more then happy to help... I was sleeved 11 days ago, and was back at work by post op day 6, and am doing great now. The sleeve was definitely a harder recovery then the band (was shopping in Mexico the next day), but by day 3 I was doing much better! Email me if you need a ride, or any help- I used to be in the military too, and live in NW San Antonio. Arscalzi@aol.com

I drove myself there and friends later picked up my car. Hospital and surgeon insisted someone drive me home and be with me the first night, due to the pain medication and also I suppose possibility of problems that first night at home. Glad you could work it out. I think it is good to have someone there. I had sudden diarrhea and it was a mess. No way I could have cleaned it up either. I learned the warning signal after that. Just a problem for about 3 days, though,

Hey Katyb - I'm in San Antonio and just received my sleeve on Monday :) - let me know if you need anything! I'll be glad to help!

Who is your surgeon?

I too live in San Antonio and would be more then happy to help... I was sleeved 11 days ago, and was back at work by post op day 6, and am doing great now. The sleeve was definitely a harder recovery then the band (was shopping in Mexico the next day), but by day 3 I was doing much better! Email me if you need a ride, or any help- I used to be in the military too, and live in NW San Antonio. Arscalzi@aol.com

Thanks, guys! I'm in NE San Antonio, near Alamo Heights. Luckily my family has been able to structure it so that they can help, but I'm glad to know there are more people here with the sleeve! We'll have to start a sleeve group or something!

I'm having mine done at BAMC, and Dr Fenton is performing mine. My concern at this point is the recovery time. I work for a very busy animal rescue here in town, and while it's technically a desk job, there's tons of up and down, handling animals, etc.