Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fat Consumption For A Day..

I have been concentrating on getting my required gms of Proteins in everyday and doing considerably well compared to the first month. I have added low fat flavored yogurt into my daily diet. I'm considering adding low fat ricotta cheese (need to consult with my doc first) too. And I'm concerned about the fat consumption for day.

If it is not much trouble, may I ask you my fellow sleevers, how many gms of fat do you consume on average per day?

I dont really get quality low-fat products where I live. So I'm always doing the math to make sure I get enough Protein and less fat. Your replies will help me keep track and make sure I dont over do fat, coz I am a slow loser (not complaining -- I'm thankful for every pound lost!!) and I dont want anything in my diet to adversely affect the weight loss. :)

I don't really worry about the fat gms yet. I try to keep everything in the low fat range.. ;)

I don't really worry about the fat gms yet. I try to keep everything in the low fat range.. ;)

:) thanks for the fast reply, dorrie! I didnt worry about fat either -- until today. The yogurt that I bought today weighs 136gms a cup. It had 2gms of fat and 3 gms of Protein per 100gm serving.

I'm planning to have 2 cups a day - which will be 5.4 gms of fat and 8 gms of Protein approx.

I just wanted to know if this is a conservative number.

personally., I always eat the "normal" everything since we each such small quanities. More and more studies show that low fat is not great for you. When they make low fat and fat free things like mayo and dressings they just add sugar and other toxic waste. I am so close to goal and never use low fat anything. I of course do not go over board but I think many WLS patients do not eat enough healthy fat. I am not encouraging everyone to eat a bunch of deep fried food or anything but I think natural small quanities of fat has helped keep m,y body satisified and helped my skin and hair-- and has kept me healthy overall.

Sleeve of Steel: I forgot to mention that I stay away from most processed foods due to all the junk. I eat low fat cheeses and yogurt. I do use butter instead of margarine. I also eat organic to avoid pesticides. ;) I like how you eat ;).

personally., I always eat the "normal" everything since we each such small quanities. More and more studies show that low fat is not great for you. When they make low fat and fat free things like mayo and dressings they just add sugar and other toxic waste. I am so close to goal and never use low fat anything. I of course do not go over board but I think many WLS patients do not eat enough healthy fat. I am not encouraging everyone to eat a bunch of deep fried food or anything but I think natural small quanities of fat has helped keep m,y body satisified and helped my skin and hair-- and has kept me healthy overall.

Thank you very much for the reply! I didnt really know that low-fat items may have other not-so-safe stuff in them! :(

a lot of "light" foods have artifical sweeteners which arent that good for you. I agree we eat such small quanties a little bit of fat wont hurt. I looked at a box of Cheeze its last week, the "light" ones had only 10 less calories 2 less grams of fat BUT had 3 more grams of carbs. Whats up with that?

i would eat greek yogurt then add some frozen fruit for flavor. the extra calories from the greek yogurt are worth it for all the extra protein! Good luck.

I am with Sleeve of Steel on this subject. Just like diet soda's, low fat and no fat are full of toxic stuff.

I think that if you are eating things that are on your diet plan you will be doing fine. If you are frying your eggs in butter or eating butter by the stick I do not think that you have much to worry about with fat. That is one reason why lots of WLS patients lose their hair is because of the lack of fats in their diets. Granted fats are high in calories and do not fill you up but the body needs a certain amount of fats to survive. I think that if you are careful as to what you eat you can have some fats on or in your foods without much problem. Moderation is the word for fats and carbs when you get to that point. I am almost 3 months post op and I do not track my fats or my carbs as I do not eat much of either unless they are contained in the foods that I am eating.

Thank you all for your responses! Guess I'm becoming a bit paranoid about my food lately. LOL

I'm with so many of the others- I don't track anything but Protein. I get MAYBE 500 calories a day on a really really good day so I'm totally not worried about anything else as long as I'm eating stuff that I know is good for me.

i think we all get a little paranoid about what we eat. I dont like to eat Breakfast so i try to sip on a muscle milk all morning, so when i finally eat breakfast at about noon i worry if im getting enough to eat. Ill be laying in bed at night doing the math on my calories and realize im way under, so ill go eat a spoonful of PB. Myfitness pal yells at me everyday to increase my calories im not eating enough lol. Just eat Protein first every time is what i tell myself.

I don't track fat at all. I do track Protein and carbs. As long as I get my Protein in, and under about 50-65 gms of carbs, I'm happy. And so's my body! We NEED fat - our skin needs it, our cells need it, our bodies need it.

I try to make sure I only eat 'real' fat, not processed or 'fried' fat. Fat is fat, but I use butter instead of margarine, real mayo versus light or non-fat. I try to avoid fried foods, fries, chips, etc. I eat whatever I want of protein fat (chicken, hamburger, eggs), dairy fat, nut fat, and avocados, olive oil, etc. In my opinion, the benefit of eating natural fat with meat, dairy, nuts, avocados, etc, far outweighs the worry of us eating too much fat. Again, the more processed, the worse it is. And it's very true that when they take out natural fat, they fill it up with other things, sugars, sweeteners, whey/carbs, etc).

Of course you can go overboard if you eat nothing but prime rib, Havarti cheese, butter and cheeseburgers all day long, but seriously? With so little volume that we eat, if you stick to natural fats, I think you'll be JUST fine.

I track my food on Fitday. Today I will consume:

742 calories, 33 grams of fat, 34 grams of carbs and 75.6 grams of Protein.

Everything is about where I like it. I like my calories between 650 and 700, but I had a Protein shake this morning and with the 2% milk it's about 150 calories. I do not go non-fat, only lowfat with milk, cottage cheese and yogurt. My cheeses are full fat.

Like Chris, I eat what I want of healthy fats which include dairy. eggs, lean meats, avocado, nuts, seeds and olive oil.