Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you eat chicken?

I am having the worst time eating chicken. I love chicken. The breast is my comfort food. Forget about Snacks or sweets or TV or men for that matter. Give me a section of the breast and I am in a 'zone'. Well...that was before the band (May 30th, 2006). I followed the liquid requirments, made it through the mushy stage, cheated through the semi-solid phase but I finally reached the solids section and NO Pleasure. Instead of eating the whole breast on the chicken including the wings I will be content with a small section. Everytime I attempt to eat the white meat I become sick. I went from small bits to strands of chicken and it still doesn't seem to digest. Is anyone else having this trouble with chicken? This is serious to me. My diet is simple chicken, fish, greens, potoatoes, peas and gumbo. Now I simply eat in moderation and don't fry everything. There aren't a lot of things that make me happy but savoring a good piece of chicken breast is one of them. Any suggestions?

230/surgery wt. 219/200.4 current/ 146 goal:faint:

I have issues w/ chicken if it's too dry.

I did try and liked..Putting chicken meat in the blender w/ small amount mayo like tuna salad but with chicken :eek:

Other than that you might wanna try soaking your chicken in a vinegar marinade before grilling or broiling it locks in the moisture.

Or if you can't tolerate it now don't give up! try it again in a month or so

Nana~

food Lube? You may need to dip that yummy chicken in a low fat or fat free sauce. That makes it chew better, and go down better. Have you had a fill yet? You may need to wait it out, lose a tad mroe weight, and slowly the ability to eat chicken will get easier.

Chicken is like the litmus test for tightness of the band. If you can eat, without discomfort, several ounces of chicken breast, you are at a good fill level. If you can't, you just might be a tad too tight. That's always been my guage, anyway. Good luck!!!

I feel your pain. My all time favorite food was fried chicken breast. White meat chicken is hard for a lot of Bandsters to manage. Most of us do better with dark meat, and it has to be skinless.

You mentioned gumbo. I make a mean gumbo and have no problem with it because I boil the chicken, then chop it up in the food processor. I omit the rice, however.

I also make chicken tortilla Soup and again, I chop the chicken up first. I know this isn't the same, comfort-wise, but you get all the nutrition this way, without the upchucking.

I'm a Southern girl and sure do miss that deep fried chicken and catfish sometimes, but I sure don't miss a single one of the 97 pounds I've lost with the band. Trust me, the more weight you lose, the less you will grieve over the foods you can no longer eat.

I have the worse time with any kind of chicken. Dark meat, white meat, grilled, baked, broiled, fried (uh oh) whatever. I have tried and I just can't eat it. Maybe next year....well maybe not. :eek:

I know a few people who simply cannot tolerate chicken. In fact when I go in for fills, when determining how much fill to give me, my surgeon has a list of questions and at the top is, "Can you eat chicken? "

Maybe rotisserie vs. grilled. Or boiled? Are you chewing to goo?

I tell you how I do mine and I have no trouble at all. We have a supermarket so I have my husband go to the meat department and take a boneless, skinless, chicken breast and run in into the tenderizer machine 2 of 3 times. By then, it's just falling apart tender then I lightly fry it and then sometimes on top of that I will take french dressing and pour over the fried chicken breasts and bake for about 30 min and viola you have chicken monterey and it is delic.

Try it with or without the dressing and you'll love it.

:hungry: Thank you for the insight. I will try to eat it chicken breast with something on it, however, it just won't be the same. It will not be the same. The vinegar marinade just might work well for me becasue I love to grill. I received a fill July 6, 2006. I was told that I have a 4cc band and that it was filled with 2.5cc. I asked if 2.5cc was too much and was told that if it is too much you will know. I don't have trouble eating anything but chicken that is unless I try to eat too fast.

-------------------------------:clap2:

Banded May 30, 2006

1st Fill July 6, 2006 2.5cc

2nd Fill August 28, 2006 (maybe)

I've never been quite so passionate about chicken, lol, however, I've not had one moment's problem with chicken breasts as long as I chew, chew, chew.

I have a chicken recipe that I sent to my friend Sherry who had the band the same day I did. She said is was delicious and it is. It's not terribly low cal, but it's good and goes down. So here it is:

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts pounded flat and soaked in Italian dressing for a few hours to tenderize them.

Salt, pepper and garlic powder sprinkled on chicken pieces

Put these in a 9X13 pan with about 1/4 cup of Water, cover with tin foil and bake for an hour at 350 degrees. They will be soft and ugly, but you can then broil them for a little and they will get brown. Then I use my special Okie sauce.

Okie sauce:

Make blender hollandaise (use 2 egg yolks, 2 TBS of lemon juice, and a stick of margarine or butter melted. Put the egg yolks and lemon juice in the blender and stir it up and then add the melted butter through the hole in the top very slowly. I put my blender on "stir.")

Put in 1 tsp of tarragon and 1 tbs of parsley. If the sauce is too thick, add a few drops of Water. If it's too thin, put it in a saucepan and cook on VERY low heat until it thickens. Pour the sauce over the chicken or dip very small pieces of chicken in it. Sherry thought it was good and I am famous for this sauce in my area. People request it often.

The chicken is really tender and the sauce works as grease to get it down. If my oven was working I'd have had this chicken this week, but my oven has been broken for 2 weeks and they can't seem to get the parts to fix it. Don't buy a GE stove. I'm going to buy a convection oven and see if that works.

By the way, I thought I might add my green bean recipe. We have been getting fresh green Beans lately and I've made this a lot. If you cook them long enough, they are soft and really good. This is a southern recipe.

Take about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of fresh green Beans (you can also use canned ones). I like whole green beans but it doesn't make any difference. If you use fresh ones, snap them, get off the strings, and wash them. Put them in a largish pan and add the following:

1 tbs. bacon grease

1/4 small onion

A little pepper

1/2 tsp of garlic powder

3 TBS beef bouillon (I use the bouillon granules rather than the cubes. If you use the cubes you'll need about 4-6 or to taste)

Boil the green beans until they are tender and soft. I usually boil them for awhile and them let them sit and then boil them again. Make sure you don't let them boil dry. If you don't want the bacon grease in them, you can just use the beef bouillon. I find these beans work well to grease the skids for meat. I just eat a small piece of meat and then some beans and mix them together and they go down pretty well.

I really like these green beans and the chicken recipe though it's not super low cal. But I can't eat a whole lot of them so it works out. Another good chicken recipe is Chicken Captain which you can get around on the web. It uses curry powder and is really good though I don't much like boiled chicken. One thing about the band is I can't have chicken and dumplings and I had just perfected the recipe before the band. Damn and blast as the pirates say.

I use to eat the breast all the time, now I eat mostly the thigh, it goes down much better. Sometimes I dip it in some ranch dressing and that works too.

i buy boneless skinnless thighs. chicken breast (my old staple) is just to iffy. it CAN NOT be dry at all and even then sometimes is a no go.

do you have a meat grinder? one of my favorites for leftover meat is to run it through the grinder, put in small size freezer baggies ( i do 2 level icecream scoops of meat) freeze and then when you want to eat it, defrost in fridge or on counter, add mayo and YUMMY. i eat it with a spoon if i am restricted or on a cracker, bread or wrap if i am not!

I buy rotisserie cooked chicken from the grocery. I wrap it up in foil, with it's juices, breast side down, and put it in the oven on 250 for an hour or so. It comes out so tender it's falling off the bone, and because it was breast side down, the breast is very juicy. I do still have to take small bites and chew, chew, chew. But that's true with everything.

I buy a lot of the the boneless, skinless chicken breasts that come frozen an a package from costco or Sam's club. I have found that if you put the frozen breast on the grill, over indirect heat, and cooked slowly that the meat is very tender and moist. I season the meat about halfway through cooking with salt, pepper and a little garlic powder. Right before removing from the grill I add some bar b que or grilling sauce. cook it in and it has lots of flavor, and is very satisfying.